Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If you're Jocketty, just how much would it take for you to trade Votto?

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: If you're Jocketty, just how much would it take for you to trade Votto?

I wanted to point out that he's not yet 27 for over another month. This is considered just his age 26 season.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...ottojo01.shtml
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    Exactly the reason he wouldn't ever be traded.
    Being untouchable, though, is not the same as whether or not someone will ultimately be traded. Being untouchable, in a practical sense, means a club will never even field an offer for a player. No one is saying it's likely or even possible the Reds' would field an offer that yields enough in return to trade Votto--simply that they should be willing to listen to anything, and if the right deal were to come along, consider it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    Who are you going to get to improve the club? I think through the next four years at least, maybe 5 or 6, Joey Votto could be the most productive offensive player in baseball.

I've had this discussion with a lot of friends who are non Reds fans. Basically, they see a guy who's going to put up Pujols numbers from the LH side of the plate; who is four years younger and in a better hitting ballpark.

Aside from not being extremely marketable in a way that a Jeter or a Longoria is (debate that how you want), I don't know of any player in baseball who improve the club or organization more. You can't justify that we 'need' pitching anymore.

So , he's untouchable.
    It really is a matter of semantics, but there are plenty of combinations of players that teams could offer for Votto that I would take. The issue is that no team would ever actually make such an offer.

So, Votto isn't untouchable, just not going to be traded. Like I said, semantics.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

It's fun to start piling up the names of the best players on other teams, but realistically, offensive production at 1B is *relatively* easy to replace. At least easier than SS.

If a team offered a can't-miss shortstop and a TOR starter, I would jump on that deal.

Honestly, if the Rockies ever offered Troy Tulowitski straight-up for Votto, I would seriously consider it.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-06-2010 at 03:06 PM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?