Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: linksys???

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    linksys???

    I'm not the most tech savvy guy so maybe someone can explain... One of the signals/wireless networks that I can sign onto when I fire up my netbook computer is linksys...it goes to that b4 it lets me get on my own home wireless network....I was in Pigeon Forge earlier this week and it still let me sign onto linksys there?????

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: linksys???

    linksys is a brand. By default linksys wireless access points set their SSID to linksys. It's a pretty popular brand and a lot of people just run with the straight out of the box config.
    4009



  4. #3
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,172

    Re: linksys???

    When you configure your home wireless router, you can name your service. Many people just keep it as the default which is usually the manufacturer name like "linksys", "dlink", etc etc.

    When I fire up my laptop from home, there are a lot of them around from other people in the 'hood.

    I named my home network access point Zippy.

    Pay attention to the open sky

  5. #4
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Like others said, that is the default name of the SSID for linksys brand routers. The fact that it let you get onto the network means that the owner didn't didn't secure it with a passkey/passphrase.

    You should be able to remove it from your list of available networks so your computer hops onto the right network the first time.

  6. #5
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: linksys???

    Anytime you see a wireless signal named "linksys", it's an indication that the user doesn't know squat about setting up a wireless network. They're also giant security risks.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  7. #6
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Anytime you see a wireless signal named "linksys", it's an indication that the user doesn't know squat about setting up a wireless network. They're also giant security risks.
    It's actually not a security risk to leave the SSID as is. The SSID is just a name. Even disabling broadcast of the SSID won't do you any good. A packet sniffer can easily discover the SSID. The best one can do to secure wireless is to use WPA2 encryption with a strong key.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,197

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    linksys is a brand. By default linksys wireless access points set their SSID to linksys. It's a pretty popular brand and a lot of people just run with the straight out of the box config.
    So... does this mean I should have wireless access wherever I am because of linksys? I mean if I am driving in the middle of nowhere would I still be able to logon???

  9. #8
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by BUTLER REDSFAN View Post
    So... does this mean I should have wireless access wherever I am because of linksys? I mean if I am driving in the middle of nowhere would I still be able to logon???
    No. Once you're out of your wireless router's range (which is usually confined to the space within your house or may extend outside a ways), you are not on YOUR wireless network. If you are still able to connect to a network that is named with the SSID "linksys" after you've left your house, it's because you're connecting to SOMEONE ELSE'S network that failed to secure their router's wireless settings. They left their network open because they were ignorant...or, they're a hotel or other establishment (e.g. coffee shop) that offers free wireless internet access to their guests.

  10. #9
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    ... If you are still able to connect to a network that is named with the SSID "linksys" after you've left your house, it's because you're connecting to SOMEONE ELSE'S network that failed to secure their router's wireless settings. They left their network open because they were ignorant...or, they're a hotel or other establishment (e.g. coffee shop) that offers free wireless internet access to their guests.
    Or they read Bruce Schneier's essays semi-regularly.
    http://www.schneier.com/essay-202.html
    Steal This Wi-Fi

    By Bruce Schneier
    Wired News
    January 10, 2008

    Whenever I talk or write about my own security setup, the one thing that surprises people -- and attracts the most criticism -- is the fact that I run an open wireless network at home. There's no password. There's no encryption. Anyone with wireless capability who can see my network can use it to access the internet.
    4009



  11. #10
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    Or they read Bruce Schneier's essays semi-regularly.
    http://www.schneier.com/essay-202.html


    His basic argument is to keep your wireless open is because it contributes to a greater quality of life for someone else. Sorry Bruce, but the benefits don't outweigh the risks. Seriously, if somebody needs internet access that badly, they need to buy an aircard.

  12. #11
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: linksys???

    his basic argument is that it's much more important to secure your computer. Unless, of course, you only use it with a certain radius of your own access point.
    4009



  13. #12
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by ochre View Post
    his basic argument is that it's much more important to secure your computer. Unless, of course, you only use it with a certain radius of your own access point.
    If you say so. From what I read, he spent more time advocating for open wifi. I don't read his columns, so I don't know if he's half-joking about that or not. But I do know that I'd rather have layers of security.

  14. #13
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,048

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    It's actually not a security risk to leave the SSID as is. The SSID is just a name. Even disabling broadcast of the SSID won't do you any good. A packet sniffer can easily discover the SSID. The best one can do to secure wireless is to use WPA2 encryption with a strong key.
    Right. But my point was that when there's an SSID with the name "linksys", it's likely due to an unsavvy user who doesn't know to encrypt. Thus, the security risk.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-08-2010 at 09:30 AM.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  15. #14
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: linksys???

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Right. But my point was that when there's an SSID with the name "linksys", it's likely due to an unsavvy user who doesn't know to encrypt. Thus, the security risk.

  16. #15
    Member ochre's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    4,266

    Re: linksys???

    This may be outdated now, as there might be other methods that render the salting moot, but leaving the default SSID when using WPA/WPA2 might make it easier to crack a preshared passphrase. Has to do with the fact that WPAx uses a salted hash, with the salt being the SSID. That means there are precompiled hashtables out there that address the most common SSIDs, removing a step or two in the cracking process.
    4009




Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25