Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Philadelphia

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Philadelphia

Going for a couple of days next week. Any tips?
    Stay downtown or somewhere else?
    (I'm thinking Residence Inn or Courtyard Marriott - Downtown).

Must see attractions?

Thanks.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Re: Philadelphia

Whenever I'm near Philly I always stay at the Flying J over in Jersey, but that probably wouldn't work for you. Valley Forge isn't far away and you have the things downtown like the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Going for a couple of days next week. Any tips?
    Stay downtown or somewhere else?
    (I'm thinking Residence Inn or Courtyard Marriott - Downtown).

Must see attractions?

Thanks.

I went a few years ago and just spent ther afternoon and overnight there while going to a game. Are you going to a game?

Otherwise, here are some tips other RedZoners gave me:

"I would also recommend going through Old City , which is where all of the super old historical stuff is. Walking around Independence Hall is always fun, and you can check out the cool flags in that area that signify how we grew as a nation. That is if you're into the historical stuff, like I am. Also, you need to check out Ben Franklin's gravesite. It's across the street and one block towards the Delaware River from the Constitution Center . It's also directly across the street from the US Mint. I can't remember street names for the life of me right now.

I would also recommend driving over to the Art Museum (that building at the top of the steps that Rocky made famous) and checking out the beautiful architecture along Ben Franklin Pkwy. Near the Art Museum, there is a neat old prison that does tours, if you're into that sorta thing. I would also suggest taking a drive along boathouse row which is Kelly Dr, IIRC, which is the street leading away from the Art Museum heading North.

If you're into Findlay Market, then you're gonna love Reading Terminal Market. It's across the street from the Convention Center. National Treasure was partly filmed in the Reading Terminal.

Philly ain't cheap. One of the SEPTA radial lines goes down to the Athletic Complex, but good luck finding a train that runs on time heading down there. The only reliable SEPTA train is the R-1, just b/c it goes to and from the airport. SEPTA isn't as affordable as it may seem, especially if you have to change trains @ 30th St. Station. It's a big hassle, IMO, but a public transportation option, if that's your thing.

Hopefully you don't have more than 4 people, or else you're gonna find navigating pricey, and a pain in the ass. If it's more than 4, good luck, you'll need it.

If you already have a hotel booked, then disregard this. If not, hopefully this helps. You're going to find your best deals IMO up in Bensalem. It's just off 95, which leaves you no more than a 30 min trip down to the stadium. It may even be less time than that.

I also really enjoyed the Philadelphia Museum of Art. Excellent collection. Plan to spend at least 1/2 a day.

Don't bother with the waterfront unless there's some special going on down there. It's pretty boring otherwise.
    The colonial landmarks in the city are a must-see. It's pretty heady standing int he room where they signed the Declaration of Indpendence.

The Academy of Natural Sciences is a first-rate museum. The zoo's pretty good too.

Center City has gotten somewhat cosmopolitan over the past decade and there's lots of cool little shops, watering holes and eateries there.

South Street is the funky area of the city. It's not quite as Bohemian as it was 20 years ago, but it's still the place to go to get pierced and buy novelty condoms.

If you're staying in the city, don't drive to the game. Take the subway. You can take the Broad Street line down to the Pattison stop and it lets you off right at the ballpark. Also, if you're going to fly out of Philly, the regional transit authority, SEPTA, goes right to the airport. It's exceedingly convenient.

Doesn't sound like you're going to have time to get yourself dinner there, but if you did, it's hard to go wrong getting Italian down in South Philly.

If it's hot and you're walking around, get water ice (pronounced "wooder" ice in the local vernacular). There's still some places that do it hand-shaved style, though I don't know where they're located these days (though along the Italian Market on 9th street there's got to be something).

If you find yourself on South Street, you gotta go to Jim's. I would recommend that as my #2 steak in Philly, behind Geno's. There's also this place called Mama's off of City Line Ave, but it's not convenient to anything. I equate South Street to Short Vine in Cincy. Definitely a different walk of life down there, but good people, for the most part.

For a steak at the ballpark, I recommend Tony Luke's. But, if you pick Tony Luke's, their Roast Pork is near-legendary. It's a work of art.

I'm trying to remember the awesome italian joint in South Philly just a block or two north of the Italian Market. I gotta look it up... Villa di Roma. It's on 9th Street. Freakin' awesome. Words cannot describe this food."

About the only things I did were drive by the art museum several times to get a snapshot of the Rocky statue.

I parked downtown and walked through Reading Market and over to the Independance Hall area.

I stayed in Bensalem and made it to and from the game with no problems.

If you're going to a game, let me know and I'll share some tips with you and my experiences too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Not planning on going to a game, though the dodgers are in town. hmm.

I just booked at the Courtyard Marriott downtown. Used some points, even though its like $45/day to park the car.

Supposedly there are lot of good restaurants in the area.
    FCB? Anyone?
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    Wouldn't you know, I'm delivering in Philly in a couple hours.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

If you go to the visitors center at Independence Hall, they have plenty of guided tours. If you want to go inside Independence Hall, get there early in the morning as tickets go fast. We did the Duck Boat Tour, but in light of the accident they had two weeks after we were there, I'd avoid it if they're even still running it. They have a walking tour we almost went with.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

If the Union are playing and you like soccer, I hear their new soccer stadium in Chester is nice.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Not planning on going to a game, though the dodgers are in town. hmm.

I just booked at the Courtyard Marriott downtown. Used some points, even though its like $45/day to park the car.

Supposedly there are lot of good restaurants in the area.
    FCB? Anyone?
    I went to Buddakan in AC and it was very good, the original is in Philly. Would recommend.

Turn Off Ads?