Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Juan Duran

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Juan Duran

    I can't find his numbers, but last time I saw them posted here, they were pretty abysmal. I know he's really young, but he's making virtually no strides, especially in comparison to the player signed right around the same time as him and of comparable age, Yorman Rodriguez. The kid is huge, it sounds like he has some huge holes in his swing too.

    Disappointing because I had high hopes for him when he signed.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Duran is 18 years old and only has 437 professional atbats, to call him a bust at this point is borderline ridiculous, IMO. He started this season off slow (.411 OPS in 37 atbats in June) but he hit .294/.362/.435 - .797 OPS in 85 atbats in July. He's very young and raw. Reds fans just need to be patient with him. If he had grown up in the United States he would have just graduated from high school in May/June and most likely would have been a first round pick in the 2010 draft.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    410

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Really? Bust Already? He can actually draw a walk, can Yorman?

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Duran is 18 years old and only has 437 professional atbats, to call him a bust at this point is borderline ridiculous, IMO. He started this season off slow (.411 OPS in 37 atbats in June) but he hit .294/.362/.435 - .797 OPS in 85 atbats in July. He's very young and raw. Reds fans just need to be patient with him. If he had grown up in the United States he would have just graduated from high school in May/June and most likely would have been a first round pick in the 2010 draft.
    I didn't know he had so few at-bats, nor that his numbers had picked up. I had only heard of the .400 OPS and that scouting reports were turning less than optimistic on him.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    985

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I didn't know he had so few at-bats, nor that his numbers had picked up. I had only heard of the .400 OPS and that scouting reports were turning less than optimistic on him.
    If you go to MiLB.com, all you have to do is search for a player by last name and you'll get his stats, including a ton of splits (by month, w/ RISP, vs. RH/LH, etc.). It's actually tremendously easy to look up a guy's stats and see some trends.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    You have to remember that most of his prospect status is built in his power numbers. He is very young so it might take a while for those power numbers to show up.

    Unlike Juan, Yorman doesnt have to grow to get his skill set. He should move up the ladder and appear to be an improving prospect because basically his skills are already there. Him gaining power, and gaining other stats will come but its a different beast.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    147

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Its gonna be a tough road for him with as tall as he's become, but its a tad early to declare him a bust, he's just way too young for that.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    52

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    He is still really young and I still like him as a prospect.

  10. #9
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    For the love of Moonlight Graham's Ghost! Why do we have to have another prospect is a bust thread? Hasn't the last 3 years taught us anything? Players develop at different rates. The guy is 18, let me repeat that 18. Everytime a post about a player being a bust pops up, people debate that and in two years time, nearly everyone is shown to be completely ignorant of baseball. Stop it!! I have no clue what Juan Duran will be as a professional baseball player, I do know it is way to early to get too excited one way or another.

    Mods can we please change this thread title, because it is essential a thumb to the eye?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  11. #10
    Member NJReds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    5,432

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    For the love of Moonlight Graham's Ghost! Why do we have to have another prospect is a bust thread? Hasn't the last 3 years taught us anything? Players develop at different rates. The guy is 18, let me repeat that 18. Everytime a post about a player being a bust pops up, people debate that and in two years time, nearly everyone is shown to be completely ignorant of baseball. Stop it!! I have no clue what Juan Duran will be as a professional baseball player, I do know it is way to early to get too excited one way or another.

    Mods can we please change this thread title, because it is essential a thumb to the eye?


    Agree 100% with this post. There seems to be a race to be the first to label every prospect a bust no matter how young.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

  12. #11
    I hate the Cubs LoganBuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    6,124

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    nevermind wrong thread
    Last edited by LoganBuck; 08-07-2010 at 12:47 PM.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

  13. #12
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,996

    Re: Juan Duran

    Which way to the Grandal is a bust thread?

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    5,743

    Re: Juan Duran: bust?

    Quote Originally Posted by zjr1717 View Post
    Its gonna be a tough road for him with as tall as he's become, but its a tad early to declare him a bust, he's just way too young for that.
    Worked out well for Dave Winfield (6-6/220). Not saying he's another Winfield, but he's young with time to grow into his body.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,560

    Re: Juan Duran

    Quote Originally Posted by TC81190 View Post
    I can't find his numbers......
    Yet you felt you were enough "in the know" to start a thread essentially saying someone was a bust?

    His numbers were easy enough to find.

  16. #15
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Juan Duran

    FWIW, Juan Duran has now homered in two straight games and is hitting .264/.331/.428 - .759 OPS in 159 atbats with Billings.

    He's been even better since July 1st:

    134 PA - .312/.373/.492 - .865 OPS
    I miss Adam Dunn.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25