Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Alonso and Bailey

Alonso and Bailey

If the Reds decided these two were expendable and decided to package them, what kind of return could they get?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso and Bailey

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    If the Reds decided these two were expendable and decided to package them, what kind of return could they get?
    Almost impossible for any of us to tell probably.

I don't know what the Reds would do but I'd be dissapointed with anything less than Cliff Lee, or an outfielder that would become the second best hitter on our team behind Joey V.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I don't know what the Reds would do but I'd be dissapointed with anything less than Cliff Lee, or an outfielder that would become the second best hitter on our team behind Joey V.
    Hard to find someone better than Rolen has been this year, but I generally agree.

I would hope the Reds would either be able to land a pretty good starting pitcher, or land a pretty good SS or LFer.

Chances are, no matter who we get, anything less than Albert Pujols with his salary totally played would be complained about by fans. I don't think either have that kind of big name value though in reality to land an All Star caliber player, so we may as well keep them.

The key to what the return would be is finding a team in need of a young, cheap 1b or DH, and there are only a few of those teams. Big guys who can hit the ball a mile and take a walk, but can't run or field, aren't extremely hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemo14 View Post
    not much, both are at all time lows for trade value

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    not much, both are at all time lows for trade value

1. Alonso is a 1B and in the MLB they have to hit at a high level to even stand out. I'm not sure anyone is convinced he really has power.
    2. Bailey has been out with injury and usually teams are going to want to see a guy make 1-3 starts and be half way effective before they trade a asset for a pitcher with arm problems.

So I'm not sure they are wanted that much. If Alonso played a skill position he would be a plenty good hitter, but as a 1B is he really that promising in terms of hitting above league average?

I think Maloney might have value because he looked decent in his starts and is ready to be a 4-5 pitcher in someone's rotation. The Reds have 6-7 guys in front of him although they coulod see him as the #5 starter next year if they let arroyo and Harang walk.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    1. Alonso is a 1B and in the MLB they have to hit at a high level to even stand out. I'm not sure anyone is convinced he really has power.
    2. Bailey has been out with injury and usually teams are going to want to see a guy make 1-3 starts and be half way effective before they trade a asset for a pitcher with arm problems.

So I'm not sure they are wanted that much. If Alonso played a skill position he would be a plenty good hitter, but as a 1B is he really that promising in terms of hitting above league average?

I think Maloney might have value because he looked decent in his starts and is ready to be a 4-5 pitcher in someone's rotation. The Reds have 6-7 guys in front of him although they coulod see him as the #5 starter next year if they let arroyo and Harang walk.
    Uh.......Keith Hernandez? Hernandez was a non-power hitting/great batting average/great fielding first baseman. Hernandez only hit around .250 for most of his minor league career and finally one year in triple A suddenly hit .333 and around .350 the next season before heading to the majors. All this is documented here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Hernandez

Rod Carew moved to first base from second base in 1976. He was a batting average guy with not much power, competing nearly yearly for the batting title.

There have been lots of players that don't fit the prototypical player at their position, such as first basemen. It used to be that shortstops weren't expected to have any power, and then A-Roid came along (eventually moved to 3B). If a guy can hit and compete for a batting title, any team would find a position for them easily.

Yonder Alonso has a reputation as a pure hitter. He has had several injury setbacks in the minors which have stunted his development. He's far from a bust at this point. Maybe he isn't completely living up to expectations, but he's not bombing either. Joey Votto didn't exact show us in his minor league career what he has become. And many thought Jay Bruce would be the next Larry Walker with power.

I think Alonso still has plenty of value. Last I looked he was batting around .288 after a very slow start/recovery.

Both Bailey and Alonso are former #1 picks. Some guys go gangbusters right out of the gate and others take 3 or 4 years before it clicks. There are numerous stories in major league history of guys who were given up on, that eventually became studs. I read where Paul Molitor didn't really compete for batting titles until around his 10th season in the Bigs. Randy Johnson had a slow unproductive start to his career. Brandon Phillips was a former top pick given up on by Cleveland. It goes on and on and on. Any team in their right mind would love to acquire former #1 picks as long as they haven't COMPLETELY become busts.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post

Alonso has been absolutely mashing for more than a month now. His hot streak is coming right around the time it takes to fully recover from the injury he had suffered last year. From what I've seen and read about Alonso's power has started to come back as well. I think that he will be valued very high by the beginning of next season. If he hits like he is right now for the rest of the season and into the next he will be playing first base very soon and Votto, being the team player that he is, will realize that switching positions to get another potential big bat in the lineup is what is best for the orginization.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

The only reason I could see Joey moving to LF is....

1. To help the team
    2. Easier to make the All Star Team if he's not going against Pujols

"I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I'm not casting any stones but he did workout with A-Rod. he did performance enhancing drugs. Do you think that could have rubbed of on him?

I don't want to sell Homer on a low. Lets get rid of someone else and keep Homer as our 5 and see what happens.

I don't see anyone buying on our AAA 1st baseman that everyone knows will not get time in the big leagues because of playing behind "possibly" the MVP of the league in front of him.

Don't make a move unless it makes our team better. Other than than stand pat. I like our team long term.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

I would have figured that plus another B prospect would have landed Lee from Seattle before Texas got him for a package around the recently demoted Justin Smoak... Who I preffered the Reds drafting instead of Alonso...

keep this thread in mind next year at the deadline....these 2 plus Maloney could very well be packaged to bring us in a ace pitcher or another big bat.

I want to see what these 2 can do in a Reds uniform...they both have the potential to be studs...Bailey is still learning how to pitch and he has great stuff so if the light ever goes on in his head, he could be a stud for a #4-5 guy in our rotation.....Yonder has all the tools to be a .300 hitter with above average power, but so did Brandon Larson....and so did Josh Hamilton and Joe Mauer, so lets see what path he takes before we ship him out for nothing.

I have always been against Votto going to LF for Yonders sake....but if Yonder can bring 20 homers and a .300 average in this lineup, then I say as long as it does not take away from Joeys stats, then lets try it out....

basically I am just saying lets keep them both right now. Lets see what happens next year before we ship em out or make them a staple on this team...

Turn Off Ads?