Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Re: Devin Mesoraco

And Cordero as much as possible, he bought that 3rd strike for Cordero today and that is just one that I paid special attention to. It was a bit low and Hanigan caught it with the webbing, with the webbing pointing down and then immediately flipped his glove so the webbing went sideways appearing to be a strike. The ump didn't call it until then.
    Yep. He really is highly skilled at receiving the ball and giving the umpire a good look -- without moving his mitt so much that the ump can tell he's trying to steal a call. Hernandez is not as good -- then again, few are.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    We need Hanigan until probably the 2013 season, when Grandal can take his place.

Why trade him sooner?

And catchers like Hanigan don't grow on trees.
    The fact that hes 30 and probably has a big reputation around the league makes me willing to look at some offers. Doesnt mean I'd be trading him for nothing but I'd put some floaters just to see what the bites are.

No doubt he probably has a few more years of over all good production, but that said selling high on a guy that is likely getting replaced in a year or two might not be such a bad idea.

No doubt he probably has a few more years of over all good production, but that said selling high on a guy that is likely getting replaced in a year or two might not be such a bad idea.
    But the team is contending now, and Hernandez has an iffy knee. Hanigan is the one who makes sense as the transition guy to Mesoraco/Grandal, and that's going to take a couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    But the team is contending now, and Hernandez has an iffy knee. Hanigan is the one who makes sense as the transition guy to Mesoraco/Grandal, and that's going to take a couple years.
    I think Hanigan is the better catcher for sure. The thing I'm thinking about is that how much is he actually worth to the Reds. I have a hard time thinking that if Mes is ready by mid season next year, and isnt a fluke, which seems to be pretty obvious that hes not at this moment, hes going to perform worse than Hanigan or Ramon even with rookie struggles. I dont think the Reds pick up ramons option but I think they do try to resign him again. Hes near the end of the road but he seems to be a good club house guy and he certainly understands hes not a full time catcher any more. I think his "attitude" problems he had in Baltimore are long gone, and thats if they were ever really even there in the first place.

This is all in theory or what ever. I'm not saying "we gotta trade hanigan while we still can!". I'm just saying it might be a good time to see what is offered. I doubt it would be much to make us deal him, but Mes makes it possible.

Some people seem to have a hard time accepting that a player who can give you a few decent years is a valuable asset. No, we're not going to sign Hanigan to a long term deal, but he's in his prime and hasn't been playing full time, meaning less wear and tear on his body. All he's done as a Red is get on base and play the position well. He's got no discernable platoon split and, as a great contact hitter, is solid off the bench as well. No, he's not an all-star, but he's a cheap, solid option who can bridge the gap until Mes or Grandal arrive.

Mes is hitting very well, but it's a long way from beating up AA pitching to getting on base 37% of the time in the majors. I'm as optimistic about Mesoraco's progress as anybody, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 08-16-2010 at 11:01 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The fact that hes 30 and probably has a big reputation around the league makes me willing to look at some offers. Doesnt mean I'd be trading him for nothing but I'd put some floaters just to see what the bites are.

Yes he will likely get replaced "in a yerar or two" though more likely two years.

Which means we need him for a couple of years.

No reason to trade him until he don't need him, not two years before that time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Some people seem to have a hard time accepting that a player who can give you a few decent years is a valuable asset. No, we're not going to sign Hanigan to a long term deal, but he's in his prime and hasn't been playing full time, meaning less wear and tear on his body. All he's done as a Red is get on base and play the position well. He's got no discernable platoon split and, as a great contact hitter, is solid off the bench as well.

Mes is hitting very well, but it's a long way from beating up AA pitching to getting on base 37% of the time in the majors. I'm as optimistic about Mesoraco's progress as anybody, but let's not count our chickens before they hatch.
    Nah I get what GIDP is saying I don't think he'd disagree with ya on that I sure don't. Seems he'd like to take advantage of what he does bring by seeing if we can get some to overpay for him. I just doubt they could get more for him than he is worth to them (Reds). As a matter of fact not sure I'd trade him even if I could get more than what his perceived worth is. It'd have to be a really good offer to give away one heckuva defender (with a decent bat) at thee premium position.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think you guys are miss understanding what I'm saying a little. I realize hes valuable, and I wouldnt trade him just to trade him.

There is no doubt in my mind though that Mes will be up at some point next year, because one of the catchers will get hurt. I'm just saying it wouldnt be the worst thing to think about what you can get in return for a 30 year old catcher who is getting close to arbitration when you have what looks to be a stud catcher knocking on the door soon.

I think its highly unlikely that they do in the next offseason unless Mes goes to AAA, and dominates again, and wins MLPOTY.

I'm just thinking of scenarios. Not a major suggestion just tossing it out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Nah I get what GIDP is saying I don't think he'd disagree with ya on that I sure don't. Seems he'd like to take advantage of what he does bring by seeing if we can get some to overpay for him. I just doubt they could get more for him than he is worth to them (Reds). As a matter of fact not sure I'd trade him even if I could get more than what his perceived worth is. It'd have to be a really good offer to give away one heckuva defender (with a decent bat) at thee premium position.
    Yea this is the general thing I was saying. Thanks for clearing it up.

I would just put out some floaters to see if someone would over pay, and maybe try to cash in on some reputation. I seriously doubt someone would but given that there is going to be a log jam most likely by mid season 2011 maybe they should be more willing to give offers a look.

Hanigan is most likely more valuable than anything they get in return even if Hanigan gets part time playing time like he does.

Devin was promoted to AAA today.

Nice.

Mesoraco's Double-A numbers:

.294/.363/.594 - .957 OPS in 187 atbats. Also, his BABIP was only .299 so it's not like he was extremely lucky or anything.

I dont know its happening today or tomorrow but I do believe hes been promoted. Even if the transaction hasnt happened.

They might have him play tonight then go to AAA tomorrow since its the off day.

I'm not a fan of promoting him yet. Let him finish out the year in AA and see these teams a few more times. Guys need to do that on their way up the ladder to be fully prepared for the bigs.

If it's true that Mesoraco will move up, it likely has something to do with Grandal coming on board.

The Bats already have three catchers on their roster. Is someone getting released?

Turn Off Ads?