Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Devin Mesoraco

I couldn't find the earlier thread about this kid...

Anyway, now that Arencibia (TOR) and Santana (CLE) have been promoted to the majors and the luster has worn off some of the other prospects (Ramos of MIN comes to mind), I'm wondering whether Mesoraco can be considered the top C in the minor leagues. I've really been impressed by him this year and have enjoyed reading coverage of him--especially here.

Are there other C prospects I'm overlooking, or do the Reds suddenly have the game's elite minor league talent at the position? Your thoughts?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I couldn't find the earlier thread about this kid...

Anyway, now that Arencibia (TOR) and Santana (CLE) have been promoted to the majors and the luster has worn off some of the other prospects (Ramos of MIN comes to mind), I'm wondering whether Mesoraco can be considered the top C in the minor leagues. I've really been impressed by him this year and have enjoyed reading coverage of him--especially here.

Are there other C prospects I'm overlooking, or do the Reds suddenly have the game's elite minor league talent at the position? Your thoughts?
    There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think many people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.
    Last edited by cinreds21; 08-07-2010 at 07:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think may people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.
    I'm guilty. Now I think he's the Red's best position prospect just ahead of Cozart.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Amazing that coming into the season BA had him rated as the 30th best prospect in the Reds system.

I'm sure they considered removing him completely, but the fact the he was a 1st round draft pick probably enabled them to give him one more token appearance on their list.

What a great rebound for him. He's probably top 5 (in the Reds system) heading into 2011.
    Last edited by BuckeyeRedleg; 08-07-2010 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Amazing that coming into the season BA had him rated as the 30th best prospect in the Reds system.

I'm sure they considered removing him completely, but the fact the he was a 1st round draft pick probably enabled him to give him one less token appearance on their list.

What a great rebound for him. He's probably top 5 (in the Reds system) heading into 2011.
    Im going to say hes top 1 in the Reds minor league system, and top 50 in all of the minor leagues at least.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Im going to say hes top 1 in the Reds minor league system, and top 50 in all of the minor leagues at least.
    Chapman has to be #1. While he definitely moved up to prospect status with his great year, I'd like to see Mesoraco get at least 400 ABs at AA-AAA before I am ready to call him top 25 in baseball. Top 50, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by Betterread View Post
    Chapman has to be #1. While he definitely moved up to prospect status with his great year, I'd like to see Mesoraco get at least 400 ABs at AA-AAA before I am ready to call him top 25 in baseball. Top 50, maybe.
    Splitting hairs but yea either way I could make a case for both of those guys. Either way I'm thinking Yonder will be a bit of a distant 3rd but after that its probably a random mixture of Cozart, Frazier, Francisco, Yorman, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    There's New York with Montero and Romine. Oakland's Max Stassi, but that's really it. Mes has really improved this season. Personally, I think many people wrote him off way too soon. Hopefully this isn't just a one year fluke though and he'll be the Reds catcher of the future.
    I really believe he will be the Reds catcher of the future. I think his success is tied more to his gaining confdence in himself. This kid is no fluke.

When he was drafted he was so raw, not much should have been expected for at least his 1st and 2nd years. (Pa. is not exactly a hot-bed of MLB-close high schoolers, especially a guy not from the Philly or Pittsburg areas). Add to that the thumb problem, which severely hampered his 1st year. The fact that he appears to have put it together to have a thread like this, is a Testament to his perseverence, tenacity, and determination to become somebody. Congratulations Devin.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I don't think Arencibia is a better prospect than Mesoraco was even before he got called up.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think Arencibia is a better prospect than Mesoraco was even before he got called up.
    This...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What was the scoop on Arencibia before he was called up? I looked at his minor league numbers and he's got some pretty good pop, but can't take a walk. Would you say he's comparable offensively to Francisco? I'd never heard of the guy, but I really only pay attention to the Reds minor leaguers and some of the other top prospects.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    What was the scoop on Arencibia before he was called up? I looked at his minor league numbers and he's got some pretty good pop, but can't take a walk. Would you say he's comparable offensively to Francisco? I'd never heard of the guy, but I really only pay attention to the Reds minor leaguers and some of the other top prospects.
    Better prospect than Francisco. He has walk issues, but has multiple seasons higher than Francisco's best season walk rate. He also makes a bit more contact than Francisco does. Current power is comparable (the PCL is much more hitter friendly, thus the 31 AAA HRs for Arencibia), Francisco has more raw power though. Then of course there is the fact that Arencibia is a catcher, and while he isn't exactly a good one, he will stick back there, while Francisco is a poor third baseman who should probably be playing first.

Arencibia's defense has improved light years. He's good enough to stick back there for sure.

From BA today
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9931
    • Still think Devin Mesoraco's stellar start with high Class A Lynchburg was a fluke? Since the Reds promoted Mesoraco to Carolina on May 29, he has hit .275/.344/.563, giving him the third-highest OPS (.907) among catchers in Double-A during that stretch, trailing only the Cardinals' Steven Hill (.932). Only five other Southern League hitters at any position have a better OPS than Mesoraco since his promotion.

Turn Off Ads?