Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Devin Mesoraco

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Re: Devin Mesoraco

Was the ground-out to short with two strikes? Was a runner on third?

There are many things that can change a player's hand positioning for a particular swing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

There are many things that can change a player's hand positioning for a particular swing.
    That's a good point.

Here's Devin hitting a double in 2008:
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hits a double for the Dayton Dragons

And here's a swing from this April:
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco - Reds

Pretty similar hand positions. The angles are different on all of these, so that makes it harder to tell exactly, but I think you might be right, it could be the situation. The video from Tuesday's game where he homers, the situation was 1 on, 2 out, 1-2 count.

Here is the YouTube chronology of Devin Mesoraco, dedicated to those in the hinterlands, unable to go see Reds MiLB in person:

YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hits a double for the Dayton Dragons
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco grounds out against Danny Ray Herrera
    April
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco - Reds
    August
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco with a long HR for the Carolina Mudcats
    YouTube - Devin Mesoraco hitting for the Carolina Mudcats

The two from August are similar in that they are the lower hand position.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post

Not sure what you are implying but if it is what I think then don't think it matters. If you are "right" then you shouldn't have more than one hand position. With the possible exception of if you aren't real adept at bunting and are asked to do so then you might cheat a little early to do get it done. Maybe you choke up a smidge in some cases but that shouldn't change your hand positioning. But every other PA you should have the same thing going on at the plate pre swing. Ideally every PA should look exactly the same.

Granted there have been guys throughout the history of the game who have seen more pre-swing looks than you can shake a stick at (Cal Ripken) and have been productive. Though I'd argue that there is an ideal setup and swing for every player (though not the same for everyone) and it would result in their highest level of production.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Mesoraco's updated 2010 combined stats:

.305/.380/.592 for a .972 OPS.

23 HR, 21 2b, 4 3b

His CS% for the two levels is a rather eye-opening 42%.

He slumped a bit after that collision at the plate a few weeks back, but has bounced back with a vengeance, which is great to see.

I kinda wish they would bump him to AAA with a few weeks to go in the season, and let him taste the playoff chase they have going on there, not to mention maybe spend a few weeks with Corky, but there probably isn't room.

At any rate, it continues to be as exciting a development in terms of a prospect in the Reds system as I have seen in awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Mesoraco's updated 2010 combined stats:

.305/.380/.592 for a .972 OPS.

23 HR, 21 2b, 4 3b

His CS% for the two levels is a rather eye-opening 42%.

He slumped a bit after that collision at the plate a few weeks back, but has bounced back with a vengeance, which is great to see.

I kinda wish they would bump him to AAA with a few weeks to go in the season, and let him taste the playoff chase they have going on there, not to mention maybe spend a few weeks with Corky, but there probably isn't room.

At any rate, it continues to be as exciting a development in terms of a prospect in the Reds system as I have seen in awhile.
    I'd like to see a bump too. The Reds are going to be up against the budget in 2011 and Hernandez is having a career year and may be too expensive to keep. The Reds should plan on Mesoraco being a major part of the catching tandem by mid-season. A couple weeks now would help. I'd guess we'll see him in the AFL as well.

Start the year with Hanigan and Corky and plan on Mes after Memorial day. The Reds just can't afford $5 or $6 Million for Hernandez (and his year might put him in that price range). Even $3 Million would be hard to fit in if the Reds are planning on keeping Arroyo (or upgrading to some TOR vet) and bringing back all the arb guys.

Hernandez has been awesome in 2010, but accelerating Mes is the best way for the Reds to save some cash w/o a huge drop in production.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

I'm starting to think Devin might not only be the best reds catcher right now he might be one of their best hitters.

Obviously he would struggle but its hard not to like his peripherals.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I'd like to see a bump too. The Reds are going to be up against the budget in 2011 and Hernandez is having a career year and may be too expensive to keep. The Reds should plan on Mesoraco being a major part of the catching tandem by mid-season. A couple weeks now would help. I'd guess we'll see him in the AFL as well.

Start the year with Hanigan and Corky and plan on Mes after Memorial day. The Reds just can't afford $5 or $6 Million for Hernandez (and his year might put him in that price range). Even $3 Million would be hard to fit in if the Reds are planning on keeping Arroyo (or upgrading to some TOR vet) and bringing back all the arb guys.

Hernandez has been awesome in 2010, but accelerating Mes is the best way for the Reds to save some cash w/o a huge drop in production.
    FYI: The Reds have a 2011 option on Ramon Hernandez at $3.25M.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I expect that Hernandez and Hannigan will be our catchers in 2011. Our depth at catching as been one of the greatest surprises this year.

Mess and Hannigan in 2012.

Mess and Grandal in 2013.

If Mess and/or Grandal accelerate faster than that, we can flip Hernandaz and/or Hannigan to fit them in.

Catchers can fetch a fair bit in trades.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Yep. Missed that. Still not sure they can afford it.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Honestly id be seeing what type of offers are out there for a guy like Hanigan. I doubt its much but everyone is looking for catching who knows.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Honestly id be seeing what type of offers are out there for a guy like Hanigan. I doubt its much but everyone is looking for catching who knows.

We need Hanigan until probably the 2013 season, when Grandal can take his place.

Why trade him sooner?

And catchers like Hanigan don't grow on trees.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'd like to see Mesoraco get some time at triple A working with Corky. I think it would be invaluable.

I see Corky eventually becoming a Reds coach that specifically works with the catchers and sometimes the pitchers, to some extent, in terms of what his experience can convey.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

I like Hannigan a lot. I think he is a good pitcher's catcher. When he was with Louisville in Durham for the two games we saw, he made it a point to go to the pitcher and the pitching coach, Ted Power, after almost every inning in the dugout to keep everyone up on what was going on in the game.

I like Hannigan a lot. I think he is a good pitcher's catcher.
    Yes he is -- a tremendous receiver of pitches. If I'm Baker, I keep Hanigan with Bailey.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Yes he is -- a tremendous receiver of pitches. If I'm Baker, I keep Hanigan with Bailey.
    And Cordero as much as possible, he bought that 3rd strike for Cordero today and that is just one that I paid special attention to. It was a bit low and Hanigan caught it with the webbing, with the webbing pointing down and then immediately flipped his glove so the webbing went sideways appearing to be a strike. The ump didn't call it until then.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?