Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 31 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 'What to do with Cordero' Thread

Official 'What to do with Cordero' Thread

I can't take anymore man. I'm only 20. I shouldn't have to deal with this kind of stress!
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

2. Turn Off Ads?
    C-Bus (Columbus OH for non-Jim Rome fans)

Re: Official 'What to do with Cordero' Thread

I say either put Rhodes in the closing spot or bring Chapman into the role with his 103 mph heat....

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

The team needs to move him out of the closer spot, but I don't want to throw him in the dumpster right now. I still feel that he can help the team as a 7 or 8 guy. but we can not rely on him as our "last chance"
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

He should be in middle relief for a little while. Let Masset close. Oh, and Chapman should already be in the Cincinnati pen. If we're gonna have relievers try to throw only fastballs by hitters, I'd rather have the LH 99 mph fastball than the RH 94 mph fastball...
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

Yeah, I have been slow to think a change needs to be made, but you can't keep running a 1.50 WHIP guy into games where it is close and you need three outs. It's just non-sensical.

Can't trade him with that contract.

Can't cut him..see above.

Can't keep him in the closer role right now.

Test his arm/shoulder. If he checks out, DL him for 15 or put him into 6th inning duties to see if it is mental. If not, DL him for the rest of the year and Walt will bust out the champagne for the decision being made for him.

Move him into the 7th inning role. Promote either Masset or Ondrusek to closer.

DL time. This will happen long before he loses his closing position or anything else, imo.

Phantom DL stint. I think he can be effective if they can "fix" him.

The problem is "fixing" him or if he can be "fixed."

I doubt they'll move him out of the closer spot, it's not Dusty's style.
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

I'll take Masset, Ondrusek, Smith as the closers....

Dusty is taking baby steps on CoCo, but I think the damage has been done and they are moving foward.
    You think you got what it takes to play a real fantasy game? Join me at Jockstocks. You can play Baseball, Basketball, Football, Golf, Nascar and even Hockey!

Jockstocks Homepage

Do you have your shirt on? - Adam Dunn to Marty on the Bananna Phone.

Thom and Chris on the post-game don't see a change at closer looming.

They must have stronger stomachs than a lot of us...

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Thom and Chris on the post-game don't see a change at closer looming.

They must have stronger stomachs than a lot of us...
    That's a suits decision. Ratings are higher when you can't turn off a game after 8 innings with a 4-1 lead.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

We can not afford to blow games. We are only 1/2 game up on the Cards. They are matching us win for win. The series with the Cards is huge. If Cordero can not hang with the closer role, get him out of there before it is too late.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

He just need to take a few games off.Noway he should pitch tomorrow with the Cardinals coming up.Cordero has been overused and misused often this year.Going into almost every 9th inning that the Reds lead is just stupid.It's not his fault that this happens and now that there are other guys in the BP dominating there is no reason someone else doesn't pitch the 9th on occasion even if it is a SV opportunity.Dusty really is to blame IMO.

I really don't get how nicely Baker handles Rolen but then insist on burning out Cordero and Cabrera.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, IMO something needs to be done. The question is what. Because Rhodes has some experience at closing and he's done BADLY at it and has no interest in doing it again IIRC. Masset, Ondrusek, Smith, etc, etc, etc have absolutely no experience in closing essentially. Any of them could very well be WORSE than Cordero. And while he's been stressful on us fans, he's really only had a handful of games get away from him. He's made them stressful, but most times, he's gotten the results. This season from Cordero reminds me of Weathers' last 2 seasons here. Rarely a 1-2-3, always lots of drama, but at the end of the day...a W. The difference...we weren't in a pennant race with David Weathers. I don't think we can sit on our hands and hope for the smoke & mirrors act to play out. I just don't see a very good option right now.

My vote...closer by committee.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

Turn Off Ads?