Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Central is for the Reds to lose

The Central is for the Reds to lose

By that I mean only the Reds can can stop the Reds. The combination of the Cards losing their best lights out reliever, Mott, their solid hitting 3rd baseman Freese and their best RISP man Ludwick, and the continued over managing by La Russa pretty much insures that they will continue to be just a slightly better than .500 team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Central is for the Reds to lose

let's hope

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    By that I mean only the Reds can can stop the Reds. The combination of the Cards losing their best lights out reliever, Mott, their solid hitting 3rd baseman Freese and their best RISP man Ludwick, and the continued over managing by La Russa pretty much insures that they will continue to be just a slightly better than .500 team.
    I agree with you. the only person that will beat the reds are the reds. our bullpen is shaky with cordero in there but, with the rest of the bullpen we should be fine with Ondru, masset and the rest of the crew, the real challenge will be our 6 through 8 hitters, GOMES, bruce and stubbs and heisey and what to do with them.

like you said though, cardinals are overmanaging and sometimes we do too, but honestly? they haven't been in this situation in a while, they are used to being up 4 or 5 games but they realize they are in a fight for their lives and the only hope for us is just to keep winning series and keep doing what we do best and that's going out there and letting our starting pitching give us good quality starts and our offense do just enough to win games and we will be throwing champagne around late september.

LaRussa has arranged it so that his best 3 starters go in the series next week. I give him credit for that. With Votto cooling off the Reds MUST get the starters out by the 7th. It's after the 7th where LaLoser starts screwing his team up with bad pitcher changes and dbl switches.

Stay close in the games and the advantage swings to the Reds after the 7th. I think it is not unreasonable that the Reds win 2 of 3.

LaRussa has arranged it so that his best 3 starters go in the series next week. I give him credit for that. With Votto cooling off the Reds MUST get the starters out by the 7th. It's after the 7th where LaLoser starts screwing his team up with bad pitcher changes and dbl switches.

Stay close in the games and the advantage swings to the Reds after the 7th. I think it is not unreasonable that the Reds win 2 of 3.
    I'd be cool with the Reds winning all 3.

Redlegs_87

Garcia got roughed up last time out. Reds have seen him before sure they will make the adjustments needed to wallop him.

magdal, do you post at the Cubs' NSBB forum?

I do disagree with some of your sentiments, but in a way the Reds do control their destiny since they have the division lead right now.

But with six (i think?) games left between the two teams, the Cardinals certainly have the chance to take control of their own destiny as well. The season is far from over and a 1.5 game lead certainly doesn't set anything into stone

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    The season is far from over and a 1.5 game lead certainly doesn't set anything into stone
    The big plus is the Reds are in first by 1 1/2 games, tied for the Wild Card with the Giants, 1 game back of the Padres, and 1/2 game back of the Braves. If the Reds can play only a few games above .500 until the end of the season it would take 4 teams playing above that level for the Reds to not make the playoffs.

Of course as we all know the West coast road trip will be the real decider in all of this. After that road trip the Reds have more home games than road games with plenty of losing teams on the schedule. If the Reds are in a similar position at that point I will start feeling pretty good about things.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

We're 10 above .500 at home, 5 above .500 on the road, and our magic number is 51. (tied with chisox and atl for 2nd overall in that category)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    We're 10 above .500 at home, 5 above .500 on the road, and our magic number is 51. (tied with chisox and atl for 2nd overall in that category)
    I assume that is for the division. For just the playoffs the Rangers, Yankees, and Devil Rays have to be far ahead of everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by scott91575 View Post
    I assume that is for the division. For just the playoffs the Rangers, Yankees, and Devil Rays have to be far ahead of everyone.
    Texas has the lowest Magic Number for the division
    Then its who ever wins the east, they also have the lowest for the wild card
    then its the Reds and Whitesox

I am glad Dusty didn't try and tinker our rotation at all. The Cardinals games are just a little more important than any other series but not by a lot. Getting swept or dropping 2 of 3 to a team like the Cubs, Pirates, etc. is likely to be just as damaging as losing 2 of 3 to the Cards. LaRussa can't focus all he wants on the 6 games against us left. We will focus on the other remaining 45 just as much as those 6.

Quote Originally Posted by 10xWSChamps View Post
    magdal, do you post at the Cubs' NSBB forum?

I do disagree with some of your sentiments, but in a way the Reds do control their destiny since they have the division lead right now.

But with six (i think?) games left between the two teams, the Cardinals certainly have the chance to take control of their own destiny as well. The season is far from over and a 1.5 game lead certainly doesn't set anything into stone
    I posted there last year, yes.

When I hear the Reds are 51 game away of continuing on instead of being
    eliminated I get as giddy as a schoolgirl.
    The Hunt for a Reds October.

If Prince Albert gets hot enough he can carry that team for 2 months

Turn Off Ads?