Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of a pet

Loss of a pet

Today I had to put my beloved dog Phoebe to rest, she had a ruptured spleen and was bleeding internally. It is really rough and I know tomorrow when I get home and she is not here it is really going to be worse. I know it is dumb to get this upset over an animal but I lost my best friend today and had to tell someone. Rest in peace Phoebe and I hope you are there waiting for me when I pass. I know many of you have had pets pass and I hope they are in a better place and frolicking with my Phoebe.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Loss of a pet

Losing a pet is no joke. It never gets easier no matter how many times you go through it. What helped me was to mentally prepare to go home without her. For example do a mental checklist of what is in your home that reminds you of or belonged to your pet, prepare yourself to see it, and just grieve. The house will feel empty for a while, it also helped me to cremate the body and keep the urn in the house where I know it's safe. Kinda made it feel like she was still here to an extent. I waited about a month to get a new puppy and IMO it was enough time. Now I have a little bouncy guy (Larkin is his name) running around the house again. I will always have a picture of my old girl on the wall though, you can never replace them. Best thoughts and condolences your way.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Yes, there's nothing dumb about how you feel. Please don't make yourself wait longer than necessary to start thinking about adopting another pet, remember that they need us even more than we need them.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    Losing a pet is no joke. It never gets easier no matter how many times you go through it. What helped me was to mentally prepare to go home without her. For example do a mental checklist of what is in your home that reminds you of or belonged to your pet, prepare yourself to see it, and just grieve. The house will feel empty for a while, it also helped me to cremate the body and keep the urn in the house where I know it's safe. Kinda made it feel like she was still here to an extent. I waited about a month to get a new puppy and IMO it was enough time. Now I have a little bouncy guy (Larkin is his name) running around the house again. I will always have a picture of my old girl on the wall though, you can never replace them. Best thoughts and condolences your way.
    My wife has a friend that does pet cremations and that is already set in motion. I am not thinking about a new dog at all right now, I had my Phoebe for 11+ years and she was there every day for me with a lick and a smile, so any thoughts of a new dog makes me more sad.

I'm sorry for your loss, redsfanmia. My wife and I are still a bit "lost" without our lab, Charlie, who we had to put down last fall. We've talked about another dog, but aren't ready yet. It'll help to think about all the great days you've had, but you're right, it's very upsetting. My thoughts are with you.

Quote Originally Posted by GIK View Post
    I'm sorry for your loss, redsfanmia. My wife and I are still a bit "lost" without our lab, Charlie, who we had to put down last fall. We've talked about another dog, but aren't ready yet. It'll help to think about all the great days you've had, but you're right, it's very upsetting. My thoughts are with you.
    Thanks, my wife and I just went for a walk and i thought to myself I walked Phoebe this way probably 10,000 times and I will never get to again.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Thanks, my wife and I just went for a walk and i thought to myself I walked Phoebe this way probably 10,000 times and I will never get to again.
    Yeah...you'll find little things like this hit you pretty hard for awhile. Like any loved one you lose, you realize all the things you took for granted once they're gone.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I have lost 12 dogs in my lifetime, and it never gets easier. Sometimes I wonder if I am a masochist, adopting dog after dog, knowing that I will out live them and go through the pain of losing them. But everyday that I'm with one, I realize it's worth it. My heart is definitely with you.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I'm sorry to hear about this loss. Don't kid yourself, the pets are as much a part of the family as the humans. They have personalities and love for their "masters" that can't be purchased and isn't easy to lose.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

I'm sorry for your loss, never doubt the power of love an animal can give your life, and never make yourself feel bad for living that emotion, any feeling you have now will only enrich your next animal friends life.

I am very sorry for your loss. I had to put my dog down earlier this year. It was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I had him for almost 16 years. He was my best friend. Unfortunately, his last 6 months were not easy, and I just couldn't bare to see him suffer any longer.

There are times that I (a middle aged man) think about him and cry like a little school girl. They say time heals all wounds, but honestly, I'm not there yet even after 5 months.

My thoughts are with you and I hope you can find some solace in knowing that you gave your friend a good life.

I'm sorry it turned out this way, redsfanmia. You and your dog got to enjoy many happy years.

I lost a pet cat about 10 years ago. I came home for lunch one day and found him. It was brutal. Our other cat, who never really liked the first cat, was obviously devastated, too. We were all very depressed.

We adopted a new kitten about 3 weeks later, and it was like someone pulled open the curtains and let sunlight in the room. We were wary at first, worried that we weren't finished grieving for the other cat, but those feelings disappeared almost instantly.

Give yourself some time to grieve, then move on. You might have to push yourself a little bit, but believe me, it's worth it.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'm sorry for the loss of your pet, redsfanmia. Grieving and a sense of loss is all natural and something you need to go through. Taking your long and faithful companion for that last car ride is a tough thing.

I've always thought the depth of the feelings you have after they are gone reflect how good of a pet and a companion they were. So, in a way, be thankful for these emotions because it means your pet had such a powerful and positive impact on your life and that is a good thing.

We've had discussion like this in here before and the term we use is VORD, Value Over Replacement Dog. Search for that and you'll see many wonderful RZ writings on the loss of pets.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I am very sorry for your loss. A pet becomes as much as part of the family as any child or other relative. It's very hard to lose one. I have gone through this quite a few times with cats and just a couple of year ago with a mini-lop rabbit we had for about 13 years. It was very tough lose a pet who is there very day for you every day. We are facing sometime, in the all too short future, of losing our cat. He's 18 years old and has quite a few health issues. We have had him nearly our entire marriage. We got him just five months after we were married. I really dread that day when he's not around anymore.
    Just hang in there and remember all the good times you had with your dog. When you feel like you have recovered enough you should get a new pet. Like someone else said they need you more than you need them.

Also I never knew there were pet cremations. I'm going to have to look into that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    I know it is dumb to get this upset over an animal but I lost my best friend today and had to tell someone.
    Not dumb at all - as you can tell, many folks here can relate to how you're feeling. My sincere condolences.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?