Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Where's the storied Wood changeup?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

Where's the storied Wood changeup?

I'm puzzled. We've repeatedly heard that he possessed a killer change.

I keep waiting, but I didn't see it once in today's game, even in the 7th when they got to him.
    Everything is perfect, but there is a lot of room for improvement. --- Shunryu Suzuki-roshi

Re: Where's the storied Wood changeup?

Pay attention to the MPH more often. He gets a ton of strike outs on it.

According to MLB Gameday, he only threw it four times today.

He also throws a cutter. Im guessing if he only has to throw fastballs and cutters he isnt going to waste his time with the change.

GIDP is right about the change being a putaway pitch for him. The Cubs were swinging early in the count today, so he got a lot of outs on his fastballs - straight, cutter and sinker.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Alot of balls were put into play. Not much need to go for the K when the Cubs were swinging early and often.

I think he gets more k's on the fastball and cutter. His changeup has looked good to me, but it hasn't been the plus-plus pitch that it is made out to be IMO.

He throws his change up 10% of the time so far this year. He has thrown his cutter and fastball about 85% of the time.

He basically hasnt had to throw it that often. I'm sure if he had more men on base we would see it but having a WHIP of something like .85 you probably dont need to use your best pitch that often.

Turn Off Ads?