Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sweep? or take a series from the cardinals?

sweep? or take a series from the cardinals?

I would love for the sweep but I would take 2 out of 3, reason I am asking this is because the cardinal fans where I live in illinois is giving their cards no hope in this game. they are saying the reds are going to sweep them and go up 5 games and the season be over with.

now I know some of us on here like to think we can sweep and do all kinds of things but, I would be happy with 2 of 3 from the cardinals, it's just funny to see these cardinal fans react to how the reds are doing this year, I love it!!! they are in a position they haven't been used to and hopefully our guys will come through with some big wins this coming week starting tomorrow.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: sweep? or take a series from the cardinals?

I think it's extremely doubtful that either team sweeps. I would be pretty surprised if the Cardinals lost when Carpenter is pitching, he has done extremely well against the Reds this year. Wainwright has been decent but not stellar against the Reds this year, so I could see that game going either way. I think no matter what, he'll at least give our offense a chance to win the game. But I also wouldn't be surprised to see Wainwright come out and dominate, he doesn't have a 2.0 ERA for nothing... Garcia is coming off of a bad start so I'm not sure what to expect. About a month ago he had a bad start, then had 2 or 3 really good ones in a row (until this last one). So I wouldn't be surprised to lose that one.

So I see 1 win, 1 loss and 1 game that could go either way

I'll take 2 out of 3 and be happy with it. I am soo excited for this series. I won't even be able to sleep tonight and I hope my workday goes by fast, because I won't be able to stand myself. I love pennant races!!

If we win 2 of 3 from the Crads I'll will be extremely happy. That would involve us beating 1 or both of Carpenter and Wainright, who we never seem to beat. I think at best the Reds will win 2 because there is no way Mike Leake on a 90 pitch count can match up with Carpenter.

I agree shall. the carpenter vs leake game tomorrow night could be a rough one. I just don't want a sweep on their side because then, they would have the momentum right back. imagine if we swept this cardinals team? 5 games up. that would be huge, but going 2 out of 3 with them would put us at 3 games up. I am excited, it's fun to talk about playoff races again and have winning baseball in a city that really needs it like cincinnati does.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    If we win 2 of 3 from the Crads I'll will be extremely happy. That would involve us beating 1 or both of Carpenter and Wainright, who we never seem to beat. I think at best the Reds will win 2 because there is no way Mike Leake on a 90 pitch count can match up with Carpenter.
    He doesn't need to match up with him...The Reds only have to outlast Carp and get into the Cardinals bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    He doesn't need to match up with him...The Reds only have to outlast Carp and get into the Cardinals bullpen.
    Which isn't going to happen unless we get a great performance from our starting pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Which isn't going to happen unless we get a great performance from our starting pitcher.
    Or we could be disciplined at the plate and run up his pitch count.

LOl the Reds disciplined at the plate? We have a free swinging team that will be especially ready to swing after hardly getting a thing to hit today.

If we can pull out a win tomorrow I would be absolutely thrilled no matter how the rest of the series plays out. I give the Cards about a 50% chance of taking 2/3, us about a 40% chance of taking 2/3 and each team about a 5% chance of sweeping. Getting the 1st means we can't be swept and leave the series in 1st place still, with potential to do much better.

i dunno i got a weird feeling that the reds might just sweep this series.

FWIW the Cards are 23 - 31 on the road.

Bingo! Carpenter rarely goes more than 7 innings. Garcia has an 80 pitch ceiling and is out in 6 most games. Getting to the pen early can make a HUGE difference in those games.

LaRussa likes to yank relievers that are mowing them down after 1 or 2 batters 'till he finds one that is struggling and then leaves him IN! That's what happened the other nite when his "closer", Franklin blew the lead in the 9th and returned in the 10th to blow the game.

One more thing: the Cards have not swept a 3 game series on the road since last September. My prediction is a firm 2-1 Reds series victory. But this prediction is canceled if Coco pitch's in ANY game!

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Bingo! Carpenter rarely goes more than 7 innings. Garcia has an 80 pitch ceiling and is out in 6 most games. Getting to the pen early can make a HUGE difference in those games.
    Carpenter has gone more than 7 innings in 8 of his last 17 outings. He gets as deep into games as anyone not named Roy Halladay. Garcia doesn't have anywhere near an 80 pitch count ceiling as he pitched 99 pitches on Tuesday.

Yeah Carp throws a ton of innings, he's a horse when healthy. It is nice to work the count, but if the guys in the outfield try to do that there will be a lot of Ks tomorrow night. Leave that to the guys like Rolen, Votto, Phillips, Ramon/Hanigan.

Turn Off Ads?