Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sweep? or take a series from the cardinals?

Re: sweep? or take a series from the cardinals?

The Reds are in a position where they can be swept and not really worry about it too much. The worst case scenario is the Reds are 1 game out.

If the Reds can pull off a sweep, especially when the Cardinals are throwing their best 3 at them, will be pretty devastating to the Cardinals i would have to imagine. Season still has a ton of games left even if that were to happen.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The Reds are in a position where they can be swept and not really worry about it too much. The worst case scenario is the Reds are 1 game out.

If the Reds can pull off a sweep, especially when the Cardinals are throwing their best 3 at them, will be pretty devastating to the Cardinals i would have to imagine. Season still has a ton of games left even if that were to happen.
    IDK how the reds would react to getting swept. they have thrived through adversity all year.

they respond after a poor april w/ a great may. they get swept by the braves including a 9th inning collapse and come back to win the next series. they get swept by the mariners then comeback w/ a sweep of the As. the phillies take 4/4 against them and they dont lose a series since.

bottom line this team has faced adversity and thrived. getting swept would be a soul crushing blow. it would be interesting how they would respond but im not thinking negative results i think the reds take it to them this week and get atleast 2/3.

The Reds are:
    - leading the division
    - at home
    - Vying for respect

Anything less than 2 out of 3 will give credence to the perception that the cards are team to beat in the central and it’s just a matter of time before they take over.

Reds cannot let a sweep happen. I think the team would come back from it but the fans would be devastated.

I know its early August and I hate to put that much pressure on a series with so much of the season left but for a franchise that has struggled so much for the last 10 yrs, I just don’t think they can let this opportunity pass by to make a statement to everyone that they are here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    Carpenter has gone more than 7 innings in 8 of his last 17 outings. He gets as deep into games as anyone not named Roy Halladay. Garcia doesn't have anywhere near an 80 pitch count ceiling as he pitched 99 pitches on Tuesday.
    Razz, regarding Carp I'm guessing that you concider 7.1 innings to be "more than 7".....Garcia may have thrown 99 on his last outing but due to his surgury he has been resticted to around 80 all year.

He leaves some games after just 5-6 innings with a lead. He has a better ERA but has less wins than Carpenter because he does'nt control his fate later in the game....a lot of no decisions.
    Last edited by Magdal; 08-09-2010 at 10:24 AM.

No way the Reds sweep, that would be 7 wins in a row. I hope I'm wrong but most teams go complete seasons without 7 game winning streaks, and the Reds would have to get 3 of the 7 against a 2nd place team who is also playing good baseball right now

Quote Originally Posted by Reds360 View Post
    The Reds are:
    - leading the division
    - at home
    - Vying for respect

Anything less than 2 out of 3 will give credence to the perception that the cards are team to beat in the central and it’s just a matter of time before they take over.

Reds cannot let a sweep happen. I think the team would come back from it but the fans would be devastated.

I know its early August and I hate to put that much pressure on a series with so much of the season left but for a franchise that has struggled so much for the last 10 yrs, I just don’t think they can let this opportunity pass by to make a statement to everyone that they are here to stay.
    Who cares about respect or perception, if they lose all 3 they are 1 game back with an easier schedule the rest of the way. They will get respect if they are leading after 162 games.

This team bounces back and that is what is so great about them, they blew 2 six run leads in the 9th and this team did not fall apart, they got sweep by the Pirates of all teams and the this team did not fall apart, The Phillies sweep 4 games before the break and this team did not fall apart. If the Cards sweep them, guess what, this team will not fall apart (sure RedsZone will implode but the team will be fine)

thorn

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post
    Razz, regarding Carp I'm guessing that you concider 7.1 innings to be "more than 7".....Garcia may have thrown 99 on his last outing but due to his surgury he has been resticted to around 80 all year.

He leaves some games after just 5-6 innings with a lead. He has a better ERA but has less wins than Carpenter because he does'nt control his fate later in the game....a lot of no decisions.

The Reds need to be aggressive against Carpenter and Wainwright, you can't afford to fall behind to these guys, just don't swing at stuff out of the zone (easier said than done, I know), Garcia, I think the Reds will do well against him. Hopefully the Cards D allows us to extend some innings and pick up a few extra runs.

Waino is going to be extremely hard to defeat in this series as well. He is coming off of a 2 hit shutout and is arguably the best pitcher in baseball right now. I think the Reds best chance is against Garcia. Cards fans are worried that he is hitting a wall so it wouldn't surprise me if they hit him hard tomorrow. However, he did mention in his last start that he seemed to be tipping his pitches a bit so maybe that is the case. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Magdal View Post

7.1 innings would be 1 out into the eighth inning. I dunno who wouldn't consider that more then 7 innings.

95 - 97 - 89 - 102 - 91 - 110 - 96 - 96 - 92 - 97 - 103 - 102 - 111 - 89 - 45 - 94 - 102 - 82 - 95 - 86 - 99

Those are the pitch counts from every single game Jaime Garcia has been in this year. As you can see, he's gone well only 80 pitches in the vast majority of his games. I've heard no where that he's limited to only 80 pitches, because it just isn't true.

Jaime's problem is that he throws too many pitches to get people out, but he's a hell of a pitcher

You are right about Garcia. The one knock I have on him is he doesn't give the Cards the innings they need. I think part of it is due to the fact he is on limited pitch count but he also has a hard time throwing strikes sometimes. I think with more experience, he will be a more effective pitcher. Still, from a Cards fan's perspective, he has given us more than what most people expected this year and the future looks bright for the Cards rotation. When Shelby Miller develops his 100 mph fastball and other pitches a bit more, the Cards rotation looks to continue its dominant starting pitching for years to come.

Garcia averages over 5 2/3 IP per start and has gone 6 or more in 14 of 21 starts. That's anywhere from 1-2 fewer outs per game than Cueto while being on a restricted pitch count.

The "Garcia doesn't pitch enough innings or is limited to 80 pitches" stuff is a misnomer.

Turn Off Ads?