Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Biggest series in a long time

Biggest series in a long time

Really fired up about this series, I like who Cincy has going but not in love with Leake going Game 1. Would rather see Arroyo, as it seems like he'd have the best demeanor for a game like this. Younger guys are a little more up and down but hopefully Leake brings his A game tonight and the bats are on.

Then again, with the way Carpenter has taken the torch from Oswalt as Cincy Killer #1 (10-3, 1.96 ERA), maybe having Leake throw tonight is the best matchup. Then Cueto and Arroyo can go after the other two games.

Looking at the matchups, maybe this is the game that Walt had in mind when he picked up GMJ (.878 career OPS vs Carp)?

Either way, this is the kind of series that makes being a baseball fan what it's all about.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Biggest series in a long time

I'm super excited/nervous for this one. Not sure if I've ever been apart of such an anticipated series. I'm tempering my expectations for this one, as I really like how the Reds are playing, but don't like the matchup. The Cardinals are not a good road team at all (8 games under .500), but they seem to play well against the Reds all the time. I hope the players aren't half as nervous as I am.

Two out of three is the goal.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

It should be interesting to see how the Reds play under near-playoff level pressure.

They've been a pretty gutsy and game team all year, so I hope it carries over into this series. This is when guys have to do the proverbial "play within themselves" and not get outside of what they can (and cannot) do.

I'll be surprised if either team sweeps and I look for long Yankees-Red Sox-type grind-it-out games. LaRussa will go all brainiac with his bullpen and Dusty will try to match wits (yikes).
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I like that the Reds didn't adjust their rotation specifically for this series. It shows confidence. The Cards reshuffled the deck chairs to get their 3 horses to pitch in this series.

The Reds said we'll beat you with ANY of our starters. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I like that the Reds didn't adjust their rotation specifically for this series. It shows confidence. The Cards reshuffled the deck chairs to get their 3 horses to pitch in this series.

The Reds said we'll beat you with ANY of our starters. I like it.
    I think any of the reds starters is capable of blanking anybody and any of the reds starters is capable of taking a 3rd inning shower.

That's probably true till you are down around Maloney or so.

The cards on the other hand....have a real disparity in their rotation. Guys you don't want to face and then.....other guys.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Playoff-level, important baseball being played in the dog-days of summer in Cincinnati, Ohio. Over the past 10 years, there were times I honestly thought I'd never see the day again.

If you've got a pulse, the financial means, and you call yourself a Reds fan, get to the game and enjoy these moments. For small market teams like the Reds, the future is guaranteed to no one.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Playoff-level, important baseball being played in the dog-days of summer in Cincinnati, Ohio. Over the past 10 years, there were times I honestly thought I'd never see the day again.

If you've got a pulse, the financial means, and you call yourself a Reds fan, get to the game and enjoy these moments. For small market teams like the Reds, the future is guaranteed to no one.
    God I wish I could be there this week.

Just to show how long it has been since such a series has happened this late in the season this is from Fay's blog:

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...series-indeed/

The last time the Reds opened a home series after August 8 against a second place team in its own division or league where that second place team could overtake first place with a sweep was August 25, 1961, in a four-game series against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The nice thing is that STL has to sweep to get the division back. If we win 1 out of three, we still have the lead.

2 out of 3 is the goal, has been all year and would be huge here, extending the lead to 3 games. A sweep would put us up 5 and really put a hammer on STL's psyche and be a huge boost for the club and the fans. But one game at a time and focus on winning the series has to be the goal.

This is exciting. I just hope the Reds go out there and play great baseball and find a way to win another series. I know the city of Cincinnati and the fans are already buzzing, but imagine what it would be like if the Reds can take two of three?

This is what I've been waiting for my whole life. I'm 23 years old and have been a Reds fan since I was old enough to know what baseball was. I've been starving for the Reds to put a contender on the field. The 1999 season was incredibly but it ended in disappointment when the Reds lost that one game playoff to the Mets. So far, this year has been equally as exciting but we still have a ways to go. I really hope this is the year.

Alright, I'll say it... biggest series in GABP history?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    By far. There's really not even a close second, IMO. This is without a doubt the biggest series since 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    By far. There's really not even a close second, IMO. This is without a doubt the biggest series since 1999.
    The hot dog series in 2006 is a close second, which tells you all you need to know.

Turn Off Ads?