Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 67 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I've heard from some college basketball/football gurus that the most rampant cheating goes on at the mid-majors and lesser-quality D1 schools... the ones that can't get players...

Now I'm not saying that other kids at 'big time' schools don't get perks, because I'm sure they do...

I just refuse to cast aspersions on any program, school, or individual without some concrete facts staring me in the face. Talk to me about Bruce Pearl or Kelvin Sampson, for instance...

Right now everyone is convinced that Drew down at Baylor is the next big 'DIRTY' coach. I don't believe that.

EDIT: As to your story, if the coaches were letting those sorts of boosters into their locker room then they are just as complicit in the improper benefits as the boosters and players.

EDIT: And they definitely don't hand out free grades at UK. Just check that first semester GPA. (Still don't think enough credit is given to the freshmen who FINISHED their 2nd semester when they had no real compulsion to do so other than their own conscience (all but Orton.))
    But the facts don't matter unless they're placed in context. The big problem for both Sampson and Pearl is/was the coverup and lies more than the actual calls themselves.
    And for the record, I've never said that Kentucky was guilty or dirty, and I've tried my best not to cast aspersions, simply pointed to situations that have been reported and obviously have garnered quite a bit of attention and consternation from the NCAA.

I actually believe a lot of the really bad stuff goes on at lower level D-1 programs because it's easier to get away with; 1)There's less attention paid until the NCAA finds something. 2) The schools don't have the reputations to worry about to the degree that high level division 1 universities do, 3) The schools themselves are less competitive academically anyway, so an athlete who would really stand out at Michigan or Northwestern for instance, is not as blatantly behind the rest of his peers.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MrRed339 View Post
    IU fans shouldn't talk about probation and breaking the rules....Go Cats,
    If you've read the thread that's not exactly what Hoosier Red was doing. He's talking more about the media and what they should or should not report more than anything. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk about Kelvin Sampson if you asked.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    If you've read the thread that's not exactly what Hoosier Red was doing. He's talking more about the media and what they should or should not report more than anything. I'm sure he'd be happy to talk about Kelvin Sampson if you asked.
    Actually I wouldn't. An expensive treatment has removed the Kelvin Sampson years from my memory.
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I actually believe a lot of the really bad stuff goes on at lower level D-1 programs because it's easier to get away with; 1)There's less attention paid until the NCAA finds something. 2) The schools don't have the reputations to worry about to the degree that high level division 1 universities do, 3) The schools themselves are less competitive academically anyway, so an athlete who would really stand out at Michigan or Northwestern for instance, is not as blatantly behind the rest of his peers.
    Interesting take, HR. If lower level D-I prospects get paid, why wouldn't the upper level prospect go there?

Let's take Michael Beasley for example. Almost everyone thinks K-State did some questionable things in signing the All-American. Why wouldn't there be a Beasley every year?

If I were a recruit (and didn't care about an education or have a rooting interest), I'd go where I could get the most cash/ swag. If IU is offering a free ride and WKU is offering a free ride, a 2007 Highlander, and $10,000 grand a year, why wouldn't I be a Hilltopper?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Interesting take, HR. If lower level D-I prospects get paid, why wouldn't the upper level prospect go there?

Let's take Michael Beasley for example. Almost everyone thinks K-State did some questionable things in signing the All-American. Why wouldn't there be a Beasley every year?

If I were a recruit (and didn't care about an education or have a rooting interest), I'd go where I could get the most cash/ swag. If IU is offering a free ride and WKU is offering a free ride, a 2007 Highlander, and $10,000 grand a year, why wouldn't I be a Hilltopper?
    I was thinking more in line with improper help on grades and such being more prevelant at lowere level D-1 Schools.

As for a Michael Beasley or a similar athlete getting paid, it really depends on how rampant actual payments to players are. If it is in fact so widespread that every top 50 recruit let's say is paid some form of improper benefits to attend a certain school, than in my opinion you'd see much more differentiation between top schools and bottom schools.
    If it's a relatively isolated instance where a top player gets paid(say one per year,) than it's much more likely to happen at a "mid-major" school or a "BCS conference school with little tradition."
    ------------The following is of course all hypothetical---------------
    The reason being, Kentucky doesn't need to pay for any one player. If Kentucky doesn't get Michael Beasley, they can just move on to the next guy on their list. It's not like they bother to move outside the top 20 players in the country anyway. Kentucky offers enough value to a player without actually having to pay them.
    On the other hand, Kansas State NEEDS Michael Beasley. They have no history, and few recruiting advantages versus Kansas. When they actually get to a level where a recruit has chosen them as say one of the top 2 schools, they need to get THAT recruit. But it's not every year that Kansas State will make the final cut for a top recruit, so it wouldn't make sense for them to pay money to every recruit, just for that one who comes around.

Sort of the difference between the Reds paying Eric Milton and CC Sabathia. They'd be better off NOT spending money if the best they can get is Eric Milton, but when they have a chance at a CC Sabathia, no price would be too high.

A little bit of lil bro discussion?

After Dieng was ruled ineligible, their incoming class now consists of..... Russ Smith and Elisha Justice....

Wroten yesterday committed to UDub (after punking UL at his press conference! )

Next up is Bello and Quincy Miller who will be heading to Baylor, leaving Ricky P unsatisfied yet again...

Now hearing that Ryan Taylor and Chane Benahan will not be able to get qualified...

Blackshear doesn't want to be the only top 100 guy in the class??

Pitino calls this a "BRIDGE YEAR" ... a bridge to where exactly?

I know we like to see bad things happen to lil bro, but jeez, I'm almost starting to feel sorry for them. They are going absolutely bonkers on their Scout and Rivals board. It seems like half refuse to blame Pitino whatsoever and the other half want him fired yesterday.....

Anyone brave enough to predict a win total for Louisville this season?

A little bit of lil bro discussion?

After Dieng was ruled ineligible, their incoming class now consists of..... Russ Smith and Elisha Justice....

Wroten yesterday committed to UDub (after punking UL at his press conference! )

Next up is Bello and Quincy Miller who will be heading to Baylor, leaving Ricky P unsatisfied yet again...

Now hearing that Ryan Taylor and Chane Benahan will not be able to get qualified...

Blackshear doesn't want to be the only top 100 guy in the class??

Pitino calls this a "BRIDGE YEAR" ... a bridge to where exactly?

I know we like to see bad things happen to lil bro, but jeez, I'm almost starting to feel sorry for them. They are going absolutely bonkers on their Scout and Rivals board. It seems like half refuse to blame Pitino whatsoever and the other half want him fired yesterday.....

More than Indiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    More than Indiana.
    Another question I saw posed on another board: which school will return to championship caliber first, IU or UL?

Another question I saw posed on another board: which school will return to championship caliber first, IU or UL?
    IMO they're going in opposite directions, currently.

In my opinion, it will be Indiana. Rick Pitino is not even close to being the coach or recruiter he was at UK, and I believe UofL will be looking to replace him in the next two or three years. I would've already replaced him, because he can't recruit enough of the top kids, and the ones he does get rarely improve under his coaching. The sex scandal should have been the final nail for RP.

It's going to be awful. And you left off the fact that Russ Smith is hurt which only leaves Elisha Justice from the incoming class. On top of that, Swopshire has an injury similar to the sports hernia Taquan Dean had his senior year so it will be difficult to count on him until January.

On another point, I heard Matt Jones bashing Dieng the other and showing his ignorance. The Dieng situation is nothing like the Justin Coleman situation. He is a smart kid who got a 31 on his ACT and speaks 5 languages; however, most of his high school career was spent in Africa and his prep school seems to be on the NCAA's bad side right now.

As for next year, if Taylor and Behanon are eligible, he has a top five class. If not, that seat will start getting a lot warmer.

Has anyone on this board seen Shabaka Lands???

Has anyone on this board seen Shabaka Lands???
    LOL ... after our 'FREE ENES' campaign is successfully completed, maybe we can start a 'FIND SHABAKA' campaign.

I find it absolutely hilarious that anyone could be so Naive as to think Calimari is a clean coach. I remember many opinions on him before he was the Wildcats coach. Talk about playing with blinders on . Calipari is a complete rat and this time it will do what should have been done years ago .................Death sentence for Kentucky Wildcats basketball. Winning should involve integrity and not racism, both those factors are null and void in most of the history of Kentucky Wildcat basketball. Free Enes lmfao talk about a joke. Oak hill academy wouldn't touch this kid or any respectable prep school but yup here comes Johnny.

Memphis chose not to listen to Umass fans and now the Wildcat fans are playing the role of sucker to the corruption of WWWes and John Calipari.
    Last edited by macro; 10-13-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Masked profanity
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    I find it absolutely hilarious that anyone could be so Naive as to think Calimari is a clean coach. I remember many opinions on him before he was the Wildcats coach. Talk about playing with blinders on . Calipari is a complete rat and this time it will do what should have been done years ago .................Death sentence for Kentucky Wildcats basketball. Winning should involve integrity and not racism, both those factors are null and void in most of the history of Kentucky Wildcat basketball. Free Enes lmfao talk about a joke. Oak hill academy wouldn't touch this kid or any respectable prep school but yup here comes Johnny.

Memphis chose not to listen to Umass fans and now the Wildcat fans are playing the role of sucker to the corruption of WWWes and John Calipari.
    Please read Post #177 in this thread. Please and thank you.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Turn Off Ads?