Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 997

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

  1. #31
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Agree on the flashiness part. Our best player is probably going to be Kanter who probably has the least Euro-style game of any Euro player I've ever seen and he is the exact opposite of flashy.

    Knight looks like a very, very solid PG who can score when he needs to. Certainly a better shooter than Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #32
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Agree on the flashiness part. Our best player is probably going to be Kanter who probably has the least Euro-style game of any Euro player I've ever seen and he is the exact opposite of flashy.

    Knight looks like a very, very solid PG who can score when he needs to. Certainly a better shooter than Wall.
    If UK can manage to keep some of the key pieces on campus for another year, combined with the class coming in, this will be the most talented team top to bottom. Experience and talent meshed together, it will be like the 1996 team all over again.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #33
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,298

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Brandon Knight with ZERO turnovers is amazing!. I don't care who you are playing in your debut game. This team will be more like Cal's team with Memphis. Lots of players between 6-4 and 6-9 who can run the floor and shoot well. Looks like this team will be a lot of fun to watch.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #34
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,298

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I am so pumped to get to see some real live Kentucky basketball tonight.

    If this trip to Canada goes well, I hope they do it every year from now on.

    It's an awesome way to integrate new/young players, and let's face it, we'll likely have at least 1-2 impact freshmen every year as long as Cal is coach.
    A college team can only do this kind of trip once every four years. Yes it would be nice if they could every year. Why Tubby never did this is beyond me? It can do nothing but help a team grow together. Pitino took one team to Italy and Joe B took two or three teams overseas and it always helped them tremendously.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  6. #35
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A college team can only do this kind of trip once every four years. Yes it would be nice if they could every year. Why Tubby never did this is beyond me? It can do nothing but help a team grow together. Pitino took one team to Italy and Joe B took two or three teams overseas and it always helped them tremendously.
    Didn't know that.

    Well, glad to see Cal taking advantage of it regardless.

    Good question on Tubby... his teams certainly wouldn't have been hurt by some extra practice time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Didn't know that.

    Well, glad to see Cal taking advantage of it regardless.

    Good question on Tubby... his teams certainly wouldn't have been hurt by some extra practice time.
    Isn't this seen as a "dead" period in college basketball? I believe that is the reasoning behind limiting the occurrence of these trips. I imagine a lot of coaches like to have a week or so in August to vacation and spend with their families following the summer camp grind and prior to the start of the fall semester.

  8. #37
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,298

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Terrence Jones is out for the rest of the Canadien trip. He has a cracked rib and will be out until September. He should be just fine when the real practices start.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  9. #38
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    Isn't this seen as a "dead" period in college basketball? I believe that is the reasoning behind limiting the occurrence of these trips. I imagine a lot of coaches like to have a week or so in August to vacation and spend with their families following the summer camp grind and prior to the start of the fall semester.
    Obviously it isn't a totally dead period if the NCAA allows you to schedule these trips once every four years. They said on the telecast last night that last year Thad Matta brought OSU up for the same thing. I guess some coaches aren't interested in going that extra mile? Cal takes a week-long vacation every year in July. I guess you can do a trip like this, find time for your summer vacation, and still get the #1 class... of course, doesn't leave as much time for fine dining, which some coaches apparently cannot live without...

    Are you really trying to make an excuse for why Tubby couldn't schedule a trip like this in 10 years?
    Last edited by WMR; 08-16-2010 at 01:50 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  10. #39
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    A college team can only do this kind of trip once every four years. Yes it would be nice if they could every year. Why Tubby never did this is beyond me? It can do nothing but help a team grow together. Pitino took one team to Italy and Joe B took two or three teams overseas and it always helped them tremendously.
    I'd almost swear I remember pictures of one of the Chuck Hayes era teams in France or Greece or somewhere in Europe. I can't be 100% certain on that, but some memory of that does stick out. Could be totally wrong too.

    Some teams don't go because of budgetary concerns. Stallings had to pay for Vandy's trip last summer out of his own pocket because the money wasn't in the budget.

    I'd say, however, primarily some coaches wouldn't want to risk injury, particularly this close to the start of "real" practice.

    If Brandon Knight blows out a knee in Canada, UK fans will be singing a different tune about summer trips.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  11. #40
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,430

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Obviously it isn't a totally dead period if the NCAA allows you to schedule these trips once every four years.
    I think he meant dead period with regards to recruiting. Which it is.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  12. #41
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Brandon Knight looking sharp again so far. Harrellson had six blocks early in the first half.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  13. #42
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,298

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I'd almost swear I remember pictures of one of the Chuck Hayes era teams in France or Greece or somewhere in Europe. I can't be 100% certain on that, but some memory of that does stick out. Could be totally wrong too.

    Some teams don't go because of budgetary concerns. Stallings had to pay for Vandy's trip last summer out of his own pocket because the money wasn't in the budget.

    I'd say, however, primarily some coaches wouldn't want to risk injury, particularly this close to the start of "real" practice.

    If Brandon Knight blows out a knee in Canada, UK fans will be singing a different tune about summer trips.
    I went to bigbluehistory.net to see if they listed any foreign games during Hayes time. I couldn't find any. That's a very extensive site. It does not list the exhibition games from the time period. Hayes may have been on a national team at that time.It does list the Italy trip in 1995. I also found one when Joe B took his 1975 team to Australia. They played 19 games on that trip and lost only two of them. I'm sure costs are a big reason that make these trips much harder. I read somewhere this trip was only costing UK $35,000. So you may only see trips to Canada in the future.
    As far as injuries, that's a good point. But a player could blow his knee out just as easy in a pick up game or in AAU games. Injuries are just something I don't worry about. If they happen, they happen. Frustrating, but nothing you can do about them when they happen.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  14. #43
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Not sure if this is real or photoshopped, but its still pretty cool:

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #44
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition



Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25