Turn Off Ads?
Page 42 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3238394041424344454652 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Also, to answer your question about Pitino instigating some trouble early on, I'd be shocked if he went for that again. Louisville can beat UK this year without all of that (and it won't work anyway) whereas last year they had no shot without trying something to alter the game plan (and it almost worked).
    Yeah I hope you're right. Anyway, the smarter tactic IMO, and something Pitino is pretty much guaranteed to do, is try to get a main UK cog in foul trouble (thinking of Terrence Jones, especially).

2. Turn Off Ads?

Who does Louisville have to drive in order to get Jones in foul trouble? That team is built around the jumper, just as Kentucky is.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Who does Louisville have to drive in order to get Jones in foul trouble? That team is built around the jumper, just as Kentucky is.
    Jennings?

I assume Harrellson will be matched up on him but maybe you run a little rub screen or something to get Jones switched onto him and then attack the rim...

Great point. Both teams play a similar style without a "true" 4 on the floor unless Pitino decides to go with Buckles who has fallen out of favor of late. It should be a fun game. I expect a lot of sloppy play and turnovers as the pace will be insane but at least it can't possibly be as bad as the brutal slug fest of last year. As far as Jones goes, as long as he can keep from picking up stupid fouls in transition he should be fine. All of UofL's big men are good in transition but awful in a half court set.

Hopefully, Marra and Justice will be healthy to provide some depth behind Kuric/Smith and Siva (who will definitely be in foul trouble). On the other hand, I expect a lot of UK fans are also hoping for a sudden return to health for Marra given his recent shooting prowess.

I dunno how realistic a new arena for UK is in this economic climate... I've heard rumblings that big coal will end up paying for a lot of it... However, definitely expect the new arena talk to ratchet up a couple notches after everyone gets to witness UL's shiny new facility firsthand.

Have you been yet Josh? I'm going to the UK/UL game and am really looking forward to seeing it. Really want to see the Kentucky Wall of Fame.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Have you been yet Josh? I'm going to the UK/UL game and am really looking forward to seeing it. Really want to see the Kentucky Wall of Fame.
    I haven't been yet but I'd be interested to hear a non-UofL fans perspective.

On the game, I hope UK decides to defend UofL in the same manner that Morgan St and WKU have instead of the Drexel approach. Louisville has proven quite capable of hitting threes at a near record pace when they're wide open. Drexel extended the defense and they couldn't hit anything.

If anybody on this thread hasn't seen it yet, I would highly recommend the documentary Blue Dawn. I bought it for my Dad for Christmas and watched it tonight. It's an extremely in-depth look at last seasons team with extensive interviews with Calipari and others throughout.

If you are a UK fan, this is a must-have.

http://www.amazon.com/University-Ken.../dp/B0041HT5J0
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Buckles out of the game tomorrow with a fractured finger.

I saw tickets being sold on TBK a set of two for $900-$1000. Remember reading when Rick came back to Rupp for the first time the tickets were going around $1500. Yeah, this is the pinnacle of college basketball.

I'm interested in seeing if Cal uses the "Cal"zone against Louisville at all. I read earlier this week how attentive to detail Pitino is and how Cal while at UMass threw a zone together during preseason just to have Pitino defend against it but never used it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Buckles out of the game tomorrow with a fractured finger.
    This ended up hurting a lot more than I expected it to.

Great game by Kentucky. Aside, from a 10 minute stretch in the first half Louisville didn't play badly, UK just executed to perfection. It felt like they didn't miss a shot or make a mistake in the entire second half. They continually took advantage of Louisville's weakness at the 4 and just punished them when they doubled in the paint.

I hate to lose but I'm not too upset because Louisville just got beat by a better team playing a nearly perfect game.

I thought Terrence Jones played big as a point forward. Louisville kept doubling (usually off Harrellson, who had the game of his life), and Jones kept making them pay. Really intelligent game by a kid who's not known for being all that basketball smart.

Knowles had a great game, the best by a Kentucky kid since... Rex Chapman 15 years ago?

And Brandon Knight is making me look good in saying he'd be a better college player than John Wall. (I'm also guessing he stays two years in order to graduate or come close.)

This UK team is not good enough for the championship, but it pays smarter than last season's team did.

This UL team is not good enough nor as talented as last year's team, but I love watching them play, too.

Unfortunately, this year's WKU team is struggling against a really tough schedule. (Look for the Toppers to go on a monster Sun Belt winning streak.

Murray State is also playing okay against a tough schedule, with four losses.

Might be an interesting year in the Bluegrass State this season. I expect at least four Kentucky teams and perhaps five to make the tournament.

Knowles had a great game, the best by a Kentucky kid since... Rex Chapman 15 years ago?
    LOL, uh no. Hilltopper oughta know better than that.

http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...ouisville.html

Not to mention his team actually won the game and we all remember exactly how that went down...

YouTube - Last minute of Kentucky Louisville 2004

By the way, watching that video, it's amazing how much worse Pitino looks now. These past few years have really aged him.

EDIT: Rondo had a better game than Knowles yesterday in 2005 as well. http://bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statist...ouisville.html
    Last edited by WMR; 01-01-2011 at 04:23 AM.

Kentucky is now 28-14 lifetime versus Louisville.

The best part about beating UL is no UL yapping until the football game rolls around.

I sure hope Topcat stops by.

This is a fun group to watch. Very unselfish. Loved the way Jones looked out of the double team for the open man. Earlier in the season he forces his shot/drive into that double team. It is amazing what Cal gets out of these freshmen and how much they improve from start to finish.

Like Cal said in his presser, "Brandon is RUNNING the team now." And you watch him and that's exactly what he's doing... such a cerebral kid...

And Josh Harrellson... WOW, what more can you say. His name will live on in UK lore forevermore after his performance yesterday.

As to my experience in YUM!: Couldn't believe how much BLUE was in that arena. The arena is amazing. All the amenities one could imagine. UL fans were very courteous overall.

That was 25 years ago. I suddenly feel ancient.

Also, seems like Pelphrey had a moster game against Louisville at some point.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Turn Off Ads?