Turn Off Ads?
Page 48 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3844454647484950515258 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

There are plenty of things to denigrate Cal over but calling him selfish is pretty dumb, IMO. I'm guessing those levying the 'selfish' epithets at Cal haven't given a fraction of the time and money that Cal DONATES to a diverse number of charities from his Calipari Foundation to the million plus dollars he raised for Haiti relief.

The world could use more guys as "selfish" as John Calipari.

Too bad this is a family board we could get into Pitino's funded abortions and various other hi-jinks that completely embarrassed his family and school and discuss what that says or doesn't say about HIS selfishness.
    Last edited by WMR; 01-21-2011 at 04:17 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    There are plenty of things to denigrate Cal over but calling him selfish is pretty dumb, IMO. I'm guessing those levying the 'selfish' epithets at Cal haven't given a fraction of the time and money that Cal DONATES to a diverse number of charities from his Calipari Foundation to the million plus dollars he raised for Haiti relief.

The world could use more guys as "selfish" as John Calipari.

Too bad this is a family board we could get into Pitino's funded abortions and various other hi-jinks that completely embarrassed his family and school and discuss what that says or doesn't say about HIS selfishness.
    Niceeeeeeeeeeeee care for me to open the Calipari vault really? BTW only damn reason anyone knows about Pitino's transgressions is he was "Man" enough to own up to his mistakes and not be allowed to be black mailed.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    Niceeeeeeeeeeeee care for me to open the Calipari vault really? BTW only damn reason anyone knows about Pitino's transgressions is he was "Man" enough to own up to his mistakes and not be allowed to be black mailed.
    Go for it.

Just remember, at Kentucky we raise the bar. We don't buy the bar and throw a random woman on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

I would actually prefer you quit trolling this thread but if you want to play these little games, I'll play them with you.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I would actually prefer you quit trolling this thread but if you want to play these little games, I'll play them with you.
    I'm ready. I gotta drink, some food...go!
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'm ready. I gotta drink, some food...go!
    Like any serious hate fan base we both could. I wave the white flag only because are all Reds fans. Last thing I want is a hate on misguided rivalry of BB teams in the NCAA. (ps yes I will mock and laugh when Calipari puts UK on probation though)
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Louisville loses to Georgetown and Wildcats lose to what ! Some also ran lmao . Wonder what team has more hope come real time aka March madness

Louisville loses to Georgetown and Wildcats lose to what ! Some also ran lmao . Wonder what team has more hope come real time aka March madness
    I'd venture to say both teams will be 4-5 seeds. Kentucky could push up to a possible 3 seed by winning the SEC tournament.

The lack of depth, size, and leadership experience on this team is quite troublesome. I wouldn't write Kentucky off in the final four just because of how wide open it is, but they are going to have to get a few breaks to get there.

I seriously wonder if Darius Miller is just naturally timid, or if time with Billy Clyde has all but destroyed his self confidence. Miller is the one player who has needed to step up and provide a leadership role but always defers.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'd venture to say both teams will be 4-5 seeds. Kentucky could push up to a possible 3 seed by winning the SEC tournament.

The lack of depth, size, and leadership experience on this team is quite troublesome. I wouldn't write Kentucky off in the final four just because of how wide open it is, but they are going to have to get a few breaks to get there.

I seriously wonder if Darius Miller is just naturally timid, or if time with Billy Clyde has all but destroyed his self confidence. Miller is the one player who has needed to step up and provide a leadership role but always defers.

Not a flame okay. but seriously and I ask this because I have read it often. has Calipari ever actually coached up a player or is he capable of ?

Not a flame okay. but seriously and I ask this because I have read it often. has Calipari ever actually coached up a player or is he capable of ?
    Man you are a lame troll. Seriously, new material please. Eric Bledsoe and Tyreke Evans especially think you're foolish to suggest Cal hasn't developed players... OR we could just start comparing lists of which coach has put which players into the league. That could be fun. The best PG Fifteeno ever put into the League was Sebastian Telfair.

I know this logic might escape you, but just because you say "Not a flame okay" but then proceed that up with a flaming post, THAT'S FLAMING.

Little brother syndrome run amok. Everyone get a good look.
    Last edited by WMR; 02-03-2011 at 08:36 AM.

I just found it terribly ironic that he passed up that shot the day after this: http://vaughtsviews.com/?p=8891 was dicussed in the media.

I really doubt if a year with Billy Clyde broke him down so bad that 2 years of positive reinforcement couldn't rebuild. I just kinda think that's who he is. And I heard things along a similar line from his time at Mason County.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    I just found it terribly ironic that he passed up that shot the day after this: http://vaughtsviews.com/?p=8891 was dicussed in the media.

I really doubt if a year with Billy Clyde broke him down so bad that 2 years of positive reinforcement couldn't rebuild. I just kinda think that's who he is. And I heard things along a similar line from his time at Mason County.

I think its just his nature to be a follower and not a leader. Cal just needs to accept that and fit him in as such and not expect things from someone that they can't or aren't willing to do. Cal should have just kept this meeting with Miller quiet. It has just left him wide open to 2nd guessing. IMO, Miller had just played one of his better games against Georgia. He was much more aggressive in his overall play. So I don't why Cal thought he had to push him more.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I'll bite. The 1992 UMass team:

Calipari's greatest strength as a coach is his ability to create teams that play together. His 1992 Massachusetts team remains one of the most overachieving units The Minutes has ever seen, featuring a shooting guard with range so limited he made one 3-pointer all season (Jim McCoy), a 6-foot-3 power forward (Will Herndon), and a left-handed center who stood all of 6-7 (Harper Williams). Somehow, that collection of marginal talent went 30-5 and advanced to the NCAA Sweet 16.[5]
    For that matter, you could include Marcus Camby. Unlike most of Cal's players, Camby wasn't highly sought after coming out of high school and at the time Cal had moderate success at UMass. Calipari and Marcus Camby put each other on the map and got each other in the NBA.

Man you are a lame troll. Seriously, new material please. Eric Bledsoe and Tyreke Evans especially think you're foolish to suggest Cal hasn't developed players... OR we could just start comparing lists of which coach has put which players into the league. That could be fun. The best PG Fifteeno ever put into the League was Sebastian Telfair.
    I don't really think you can say Cal "coached up" Tyreke Evans or Eric Bledsoe. The NBA drafts on potential and potential alone. If not for the one and done rule, none of these players would have ever played HS.

Unfortunately, once you get to the level of popularity that Calipari and Pitino are at, you can pretty much pick and choose the recruits who come to play for you. Both coaches have had to "coach up" certain players but when you have talent and likely going to the NBA anyways, it really doesn't matter now.

When Rick Pitino was at Kentucky, he had the Kentucky letterhead that got him into recruits homes. He also had NBA coaching experience, which was also a plus. But Pitino did "coach up" Billy Donovan, who took Providence to the Final Four.

Bottom line is, you have to look back a lot farther than just the new millennium to make your argument. Calipari and Pitino have both paid their dues and its been in the past, long before Kentucky ever entered the picture for either of them.

For that matter, you could include Marcus Camby. Unlike most of Cal's players, Camby wasn't highly sought after coming out of high school and at the time Cal had moderate success at UMass. Calipari and Marcus Camby put each other on the map and got each other in the NBA.

I don't really think you can say Cal "coached up" Tyreke Evans or Eric Bledsoe. The NBA drafts on potential and potential alone. If not for the one and done rule, none of these players would have ever played HS.

Unfortunately, once you get to the level of popularity that Calipari and Pitino are at, you can pretty much pick and choose the recruits who come to play for you. Both coaches have had to "coach up" certain players but when you have talent and likely going to the NBA anyways, it really doesn't matter now.

When Rick Pitino was at Kentucky, he had the Kentucky letterhead that got him into recruits homes. He also had NBA coaching experience, which was also a plus. But Pitino did "coach up" Billy Donovan, who took Providence to the Final Four.

Bottom line is, you have to look back a lot farther than just the new millennium to make your argument. Calipari and Pitino have both paid their dues and its been in the past, long before Kentucky ever entered the picture for either of them.

Thanks for the info and yes I do agree that he did an excellent job in retrospect with UMass.

I don't think Cal is the greatest bench coach ever, but I think its patently ridiculous to say that he doesn't know how to coach up players, point guards especially. He gets awesome talent but he takes that talent and forces it to defend and attack, attack, attack. Perfect recipe for growth towards the NBA when you add in world-class athletes/prospects.

You can point to how many "stud" players ending up as "duds" their freshmen year? Bunches. Why does that never happen to Calipari players? Is he just that much better at picking them than every other coach?

Turn Off Ads?