Turn Off Ads?
Page 52 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 766 to 780 of 997

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

  1. #766
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I understand what you're saying there, because I think they make us fans and Cal want to pull our hair out at certain points... however, give credit where credit is due: UK is led by a freshman point guard and is first in the SEC in TOs per game and is TWENTIETH on that list nationwide.

    You don't get those kinds of numbers with dumb/low IQ players playing pivotal roles on your team.

    Now let's just get BK and DL to hang around for year number two...
    How about vapor-locking in crucial situations?

    Kentucky's been in every game they've lost. Their talent level is higher than any team they've faced, with the exception of UNC (and that's debatable). They've lost virtually all their close games because of at least one or two stupid decisions by members of the team.

    And it's all of them.

    In one game, Brandon Knight throws the ball to no one in particular. In another, Darius Miller passes up a wide open shot with the clock winding down. In another, Terrence Jones tries to do his best John Wall impersonation with three guys around him. Liggins gets a technical foul called on him for reacting like a two-year-old, then look on, agog the official actually called him for it.

    And so on.

    It's a combination of youth and poor basketball IQs. And most of that is fixable. Another year in college around good coaching and good players who understand what it takes to win will fix much of that.

    Though I wonder how many of them are going to stay. I'm betting Jones has one foot out the door already, as does Knight (though he may stay another year).

    If the lockout in the NBA becomes a reality, that team should be stacked. No one will want to play them.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #767
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    50

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    I think it's pretty certain the NBA is headed for a lockout, which probably bodes well for us next year. The NBA owners want to crush the players union, so a work stoppage will happen.

  4. #768
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    How about vapor-locking in crucial situations?

    Kentucky's been in every game they've lost. Their talent level is higher than any team they've faced, with the exception of UNC (and that's debatable). They've lost virtually all their close games because of at least one or two stupid decisions by members of the team.

    And it's all of them.

    In one game, Brandon Knight throws the ball to no one in particular. In another, Darius Miller passes up a wide open shot with the clock winding down. In another, Terrence Jones tries to do his best John Wall impersonation with three guys around him. Liggins gets a technical foul called on him for reacting like a two-year-old, then look on, agog the official actually called him for it.

    And so on.

    It's a combination of youth and poor basketball IQs. And most of that is fixable. Another year in college around good coaching and good players who understand what it takes to win will fix much of that.

    Though I wonder how many of them are going to stay. I'm betting Jones has one foot out the door already, as does Knight (though he may stay another year).

    If the lockout in the NBA becomes a reality, that team should be stacked. No one will want to play them.
    Youth, yes. I agree with that 100%. I guess I draw a bit more of a differentiation b/t what I consider "low basketball IQ" compared to you... IMO, 'low basketball IQ' is something that isn't really fixable. If you've got a low basketball IQ, chances are good that you always will. It's an innate talent that is very difficult if not impossible to teach or coach into a kid.

    IMO, nearly all of UK's struggles are attributable to youth rather than low basketball IQ. The only player whose basketball IQ I really question is Liggins.

    Knight, Jones, and Lamb? All very smart players, IMO, but also very, very young and inexperienced. (Just look at how much Jones has improved passing out of the double team since the season began, for instance.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  5. #769
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,847

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Sorry....sorry.....but I gotta do it...


    HOW BOUT DEM GATORS!!!!!! whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  6. #770
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Sorry....sorry.....but I gotta do it...


    HOW BOUT DEM GATORS!!!!!! whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    It must suck being the only Gator basketball fan on planet Earth...

    you know this is a UK thread right?

    I would, however, love to see UK get the chance to spank UF a second time in Catlanta.
    Last edited by WMR; 03-01-2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #771
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Nice first half for the Cats... pretty awesome Senior night for Josh so far. What a great kid, so happy for his success this season.

    I do believe he will be playing somewhere for pay next season, no question.

    Very nice first half defensive effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  8. #772
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    First half = Good Freshmen

    Second half = Bad Freshmen

    Sort of a microcosm of this entire season. T. Jones will probably get drafted in the lottery based on his potential but he is far from ready for the NBA.

    Vandy is tough, Very, very tough. I'm much more impressed with them than I am Florida.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  9. #773
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    First half = Good Freshmen

    Second half = Bad Freshmen

    Sort of a microcosm of this entire season. T. Jones will probably get drafted in the lottery based on his potential but he is far from ready for the NBA.

    Vandy is tough, Very, very tough. I'm much more impressed with them than I am Florida.
    I'm starting to think its entirely possible that all three stay. Cal has said that unless you are a bonafide top 3 pick in the draft, you might as well return to college next year. Jones might be the only one to go pro but even then I have my doubts.

    Of course, I want to see what those three look like with next years class coming in.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  10. #774
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,847

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    First half = Good Freshmen

    Second half = Bad Freshmen

    Sort of a microcosm of this entire season. T. Jones will probably get drafted in the lottery based on his potential but he is far from ready for the NBA.

    Vandy is tough, Very, very tough. I'm much more impressed with them than I am Florida.
    Going to respond to two posts here at the same time....a UF education gives one the ability to multi-task....

    AFA me being the only Gator Hoops fan around....riiiight....I have previously admitted that Cat fans have a much bigger passion for the game....Cat fans might be the best in the country. But it does not mean UF does not have good college basketball fans. We do. Last night's environment in the O'Connell Center was awesome by anyone's standards. It may not be Rupp, but it was still a pretty tough place to play. And we DO have an awesome student section....the alumni side...well, let's just say they need a shot of adrenaline sometimes.

    I do know this is a Kentucky Basketball thread....but considering UF is an SEC rival, in your same division, I thought some UF discussion would be considered relevant. Besides, on a Cincinnati Reds forum, would a Florida Gator thread get much attention? I love college basketball...I am and have been respectful....not talking any trash....that post last night was not meant to be any shot at UK or any of its fans...winning SEC titles may be old hat to you folks but it's a pretty big deal to Gator fans....and something many UK fans may not know, Billy Donovan put in Adam Allen to close out the final seconds of the game....Adam Allen is a 6'8" wing....very highly recruited....hurt his knees as a freshman and went through 3 surgeries....finally announced on Monday that he was just going to have to give up basketball instead of trying for a medical hardship....he was fully dressed out and got to dribble out the clock....said he thought about taking a shot but it would be running up the score if he did....great kid and a very heart-warming moment.

    ----------------------

    As far as this post goes, well, I won't deny Vandy is a darned good team and that John Jenkins can ball. We have to go up there in a couple of days on their Senior Night and close out our regular season. I give us about a 30-40% chance of winning that game....if we lose, just gotta hope Georgia beats Alabama, which I think they will do, so we can have the SEC title outright. As far as you being "much" more impressed with them than UF...well, it's an opinion, and you certainly have a right to feel that way....but we've already beaten them once and we are, at worst, co-SEC champs...ranked higher, etc.....no offense taken, just think you might be wrong there.

    The SEC has not gotten a lot of respect this year but I think we have a lot of good basketball teams. UF, UK, Vandy and Georgia all have the potential to make deep runs in the tourney. Tennessee and Alabama should also get in and I would not be shocked to see either make the Sweet 16. (BTW - don't believe all this talk about Alabama being a "bubble team." A record like theirs in a power conference, especially if they end up sharing the SEC title with us, gets you in every time.) The West was waaay down this year, without a doubt. But here's hoping we prove ourselves as a conference in March. I assure you all I will be rooting for Kentucky, as I always do, unless our paths happen to cross. Hope you guys will return the favor.

    Congrats on a big win last night. See you in "Cat-lanta."
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  11. #775
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Going to respond to two posts here at the same time....a UF education gives one the ability to multi-task....

    AFA me being the only Gator Hoops fan around....riiiight....I have previously admitted that Cat fans have a much bigger passion for the game....Cat fans might be the best in the country. But it does not mean UF does not have good college basketball fans. We do. Last night's environment in the O'Connell Center was awesome by anyone's standards. It may not be Rupp, but it was still a pretty tough place to play. And we DO have an awesome student section....the alumni side...well, let's just say they need a shot of adrenaline sometimes.

    I do know this is a Kentucky Basketball thread....but considering UF is an SEC rival, in your same division, I thought some UF discussion would be considered relevant. Besides, on a Cincinnati Reds forum, would a Florida Gator thread get much attention? I love college basketball...I am and have been respectful....not talking any trash....that post last night was not meant to be any shot at UK or any of its fans...winning SEC titles may be old hat to you folks but it's a pretty big deal to Gator fans....and something many UK fans may not know, Billy Donovan put in Adam Allen to close out the final seconds of the game....Adam Allen is a 6'8" wing....very highly recruited....hurt his knees as a freshman and went through 3 surgeries....finally announced on Monday that he was just going to have to give up basketball instead of trying for a medical hardship....he was fully dressed out and got to dribble out the clock....said he thought about taking a shot but it would be running up the score if he did....great kid and a very heart-warming moment.

    ----------------------

    As far as this post goes, well, I won't deny Vandy is a darned good team and that John Jenkins can ball. We have to go up there in a couple of days on their Senior Night and close out our regular season. I give us about a 30-40% chance of winning that game....if we lose, just gotta hope Georgia beats Alabama, which I think they will do, so we can have the SEC title outright. As far as you being "much" more impressed with them than UF...well, it's an opinion, and you certainly have a right to feel that way....but we've already beaten them once and we are, at worst, co-SEC champs...ranked higher, etc.....no offense taken, just think you might be wrong there.

    The SEC has not gotten a lot of respect this year but I think we have a lot of good basketball teams. UF, UK, Vandy and Georgia all have the potential to make deep runs in the tourney. Tennessee and Alabama should also get in and I would not be shocked to see either make the Sweet 16. (BTW - don't believe all this talk about Alabama being a "bubble team." A record like theirs in a power conference, especially if they end up sharing the SEC title with us, gets you in every time.) The West was waaay down this year, without a doubt. But here's hoping we prove ourselves as a conference in March. I assure you all I will be rooting for Kentucky, as I always do, unless our paths happen to cross. Hope you guys will return the favor.

    Congrats on a big win last night. See you in "Cat-lanta."
    UF is in the same boat Ohio State is in, even if you do have somewhat decent fan support, its still a football first school. Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, and Indiana are probably the only basketball crazy states out there.

    I'll be the first to admit, playing in the O-Dome isn't the easiest thing in the world. The Rowdy Reptiles do give Florida a home court advantage. As for the alumni, it comes with the territory. At least Florida fans aren't hung on "tradition" to where the older fans complain over a player having dreadlocks or wearing headbands. I'm probably one of the few UK fans who actually liked the black uniforms we wore a couple of seasons ago.

    I'm a UK fan first and SEC second. If a SEC team is playing in the tournament, I will pull for them, so I will pull for Florida and even Tennessee if it makes the SEC look good. Florida has always had players though who have always found a way to get under the skin of UK fans (Teddy Dupay, Matt Walsh, Joakim Noah, Nick Calathes).

    It just seems like Donovan hasn't been able to duplicate the success of the back to back titles. I don't think the NBA flirtation has hurt him that much because he pretty much kept the recruiting classes after he left. Outside of Kenny Boynton, he has lost two top recruits to other schools (Knight to UK and Rivers to Duke), so it kinda leads to wonder what is going on.

    Will be pulling for Florida to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, as long as they dont meet up with UK.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  12. #776
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,847

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    UF is in the same boat Ohio State is in, even if you do have somewhat decent fan support, its still a football first school. Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, and Indiana are probably the only basketball crazy states out there.

    I'll be the first to admit, playing in the O-Dome isn't the easiest thing in the world. The Rowdy Reptiles do give Florida a home court advantage. As for the alumni, it comes with the territory. At least Florida fans aren't hung on "tradition" to where the older fans complain over a player having dreadlocks or wearing headbands. I'm probably one of the few UK fans who actually liked the black uniforms we wore a couple of seasons ago.

    I'm a UK fan first and SEC second. If a SEC team is playing in the tournament, I will pull for them, so I will pull for Florida and even Tennessee if it makes the SEC look good. Florida has always had players though who have always found a way to get under the skin of UK fans (Teddy Dupay, Matt Walsh, Joakim Noah, Nick Calathes).

    It just seems like Donovan hasn't been able to duplicate the success of the back to back titles. I don't think the NBA flirtation has hurt him that much because he pretty much kept the recruiting classes after he left. Outside of Kenny Boynton, he has lost two top recruits to other schools (Knight to UK and Rivers to Duke), so it kinda leads to wonder what is going on.

    Will be pulling for Florida to make a deep run in the NCAA tournament, as long as they dont meet up with UK.
    No question football will always be first for those schools you mentioned - UF definitely favors football. Just the way it is and always will be. But I am proud that we have been able to have sustained success in both sports. Personally, I am more of a hoops fan than a football fan, having played hoops my whole life.

    You really have alumni fans that complain about dreadlocks and headbands??? Wow...that would get on my nerves too...but at least your folks make noise. I am finishing grad school now so I still get to sit in the student section....we consistently have to yell at the older folks on the other side of the floor to make noise. And it rarely works.

    AFA the players who get under the skin of UK fans....Dupay and Noah I certainly understand....I loved them but I understand why other fans might hate them. But the Matt Walsh hate I never understood. Must have been the long hair. And Calathes? I didn't know UK fans hated him....personally, I am not a huge fan.....he bailed on the program for a contract in freaking Greece....and he is doing nothing over there....

    AFA Rivers and Knight...I grant you we "lost" Rivers...he was committed to us for over a year then broke the commitment for Duke...and Doc had a lot to do with that. But Knight we never lost...as much as we may have wanted him to, he never committed to Florida....I always thought we would end up with him but it just didn't happen. But obviously it's never a bad choice for a kid who is good at basketball to play at UK. And a lot of people think he is a one-and-done, but I disagree. He's very intelligent and I think school matters to him more than people realize. Now, that's not to say he stays 4 years or anything....but I'd bet you a doughnut he stays at least 2.
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.

  13. #777
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,475

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    even Tennessee if it makes the SEC look good.

  14. #778
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,443

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Found this on KSR:

    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  15. #779
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,955

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition



    omg that is so great... all the UT nonsense in one huge send-up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #780
    Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Titletown, FL
    Posts
    3,847

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Founder and Ruling Elite of the Derrick Robinson Fan Club. Limited amount of memberships available.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25