Turn Off Ads?
Page 54 of 67 FirstFirst ... 44450515253545556575864 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Pastner would be a risky hire for UT. The man has been a head coach 2 seasons. 2 NIT appearances likely. And his Memphis recruiting connections? Let's not forget that Memphis is 400 miles away from Knoxville.

And I'd agree that UT is probably the 2nd best job in the SEC, overall.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Tennessee the 2nd best SEC job? Sorry, gotta disagree there.

If we're speaking in terms of fan support, that would be Arkansas. Monetarily, it would be Florida.
    I will agree with you. I still think Florida and Arkansas are better jobs than Tennessee.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Not directly UK related, but UK/SEC fans may find the latest Tubby Smith rumor interesting:

Tubby moves on to Georgia Tech following a buy-out of Paul Hewitt's contract.

Also, John Pelphrey is on the hot seat at Arkansas. If he gets the boot, expect the Razerbacks to make a full-court-press to hire Mizzou's Mike Anderson.
    I can't believe Ga Tech would even consider Tubby. At best it would be a lateral move. Tubby hasn't exactly burned it up in Minnesota.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    You think the UT AD is responsible for Pearl lying about a barbecue? You think he's responsible for keeping Lane Kiffin within the rules? I think the investigation will show that the AD tried to police these guys but they went off the rail all by themselves

As for UK Calipari is no choir boy either. Don't think it couldn't happen to you

There comes a point in time the AD has to accountable for things that go on within the athlectic program even its out of his control. That time has probably come for Hamilton. I just find it hard to believe he didn't fire Pearl when it became known he blantantly lied to the NCAA about the BBQ and other things. To me that was irresponsiblity by him.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Sea Ray, I swear to God, if Cal did what Pearl did, and blatantly lied and worst of all instructed RECRUITS to lie, I would WANT him fired.

Believe it or not, I have some friends who are UT fans and I honestly feel bad for what they have had to go through. That AD needs to go, way too much bad stuff has happened under his watch.
    I don't know any UT fans who care much about the BB program. If they can be relevant in the SEC and upset Kentucky every now and then that's great. Now football's another story. If the football program suffered through a major sanction that'd be a drag but from the sound of it, the NCAA is not going to punish the new coach. Kiffin may have his own sanctions even though he's moved onto a new school

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Well, Hamilton hired Kiffin and I am pretty sure he hired Pearl as well, so wouldn't you agree that even if he tried to police them that he deserves the blame for hiring two men to run two big time programs and both of them are, to be kind, less than ethical?

I do agree with you though that they went off rails on their own (from what I've read) but hiring both of them in first place seemes to me to indicate a desire for winning over ethics.
    Your point is well taken and because of that if Hamilton goes down with this mess I won't shed a tear

Outstanding article about Coach Cal coming in next week's Sports Illustrated. Here's the online version. Warning: it's very long. But definitely worth the time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...72/1/index.htm

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I will agree with you. I still think Florida and Arkansas are better jobs than Tennessee.
    I stated that Tennessee is arguably the 2nd best job behind Kentucky. You have to factor facilities into the argument, too. When you are comparing $$$ between Florida and Tennessee, you are splitting hairs.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 03-08-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I can't believe Ga Tech would even consider Tubby. At best it would be a lateral move. Tubby hasn't exactly burned it up in Minnesota.
    Shhh.. don't tell ACC fans that.

They believe--at least the ones that I dealt with in my previous 19 years on Tobacco Road--that any ACC job is better than any Big Ten or SEC job. Thankfully, I've seen no evidence at all of that on this board, which contains many ACC backers.

That said, while a move to GT seems a lateral move, the Minnesota job has proven to be a coaching dead-end.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Outstanding article about Coach Cal coming in next week's Sports Illustrated. Here's the online version. Warning: it's very long. But definitely worth the time.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...72/1/index.htm
    That's an interesting read. I've never trusted Calipari, but I never trusted Pitino either, both come across as too slick to be believed, and what's more they seem to know this and keep on selling. In some ways that makes them each more genuine.
    I will say, I've not always been impressed by Cal's tactics on court, but it's hard to argue that he gets guys to play hard. With the talent he brings in, getting them to play hard on a regular basis is enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    That's an interesting read.
    It's by far the best article I've read on Calipari and captures both his good side and his flaws.

He's almost completely unique among coaches. He doesn't care what people think about him, he's honest to a fault, but he's also extremely sensitive and almost impossible to trust.

I also love the fact that Pitino comes out looking like a putz and a liar and that every claim against Cal is investigated (again) and he is found completely innocent. The Carneseca cancer thing is mind-blowing, as is the UMass story (which I heard Pitino tell in person when he was at UK).

Of course, this won't keep the ignorant "fans" from chiming in about cheating, but it should.

Nice win against Ole Miss. Hopefully we can exact some revenge on some teams before the final game Sunday.

Looks like there was a scuffle in the tunnel after the game. Liggins and Buckner for Ole Miss got into it and Buckner had to be held back.

I could see Kentucky playing its way into a three or possibly even a two seed depending on how the chips fall this weekend.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Nice win against Ole Miss. Hopefully we can exact some revenge on some teams before the final game Sunday.

Looks like there was a scuffle in the tunnel after the game. Liggins and Buckner for Ole Miss got into it and Buckner had to be held back.

I could see Kentucky playing its way into a three or possibly even a two seed depending on how the chips fall this weekend.
    I agree. I said a few days ago I thought UK could play its way up to a 2 with an SEC-T victory.

Florida all but clinched at least a 3 last night. Awesome to beat Tennessee 3 times in one year....now gotta try to do the same thing with Vandy. If we win this tourney, no one can say we didn't earn it - we'll have gone through Tenn, Vandy, and likely UK....not an easy draw for the number one seed, to be sure.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Florida looks to be a solid 3, perhaps a 2. But the clunkers Pitt and Notre Dame laid may hurt the Gators' seed, in that both proved to be less than the number one they could have been had they won their tournament.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Florida looks to be a solid 3, perhaps a 2. But the clunkers Pitt and Notre Dame laid may hurt the Gators' seed, in that both proved to be less than the number one they could have been had they won their tournament.
    Ultimately, I just want the Gators to end up in Tampa, be that as a low 2 or a high 3. Much rather be in Tampa as a 3 than out west as a 2.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

Turn Off Ads?