Turn Off Ads?
Page 59 of 67 FirstFirst ... 949555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 871 to 885 of 997

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

  1. #871
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I'm not as concerned when a team gets a favorable draw due to "matchups"
    (Scrap mentioned Wisconsin being easy pickings for a Pitt team because they wouldn't match up well.) Wisconsin deserved its 4 seed, if that happened to match up with a team they could give problems I wouldn't complain so it's the same going the other direction.

    But what gets me in this is if the comittee truly used an S curve, with Ohio State ranked 1, Kansas Ranked 2, Pitt 3, and Duke 4 as they said, then their rankings were pretty much;

    ------>
    1. tOSU
    2. Kansas
    3. Pitt
    4. Duke
    <-------
    5. San Diego State
    6. Florida
    7. Notre Dame
    8. North Carolina
    -------->
    9. Syracuse
    10. Purdue
    11. BYU
    12. UConn
    <----------
    13. Texas
    14. Louisville
    15. Wisconsin
    16. Kentucky
    They don't do it like this though. They start with something like it and then will move teams around for matchup and regional purposes. I'm guessing something happened like that with both Florida and Kentucky.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #872
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    I just posted this over on TBK and thought I would post it here as well. There is a good chance this doesn't happen if Clemson somehow beats WVU on Thursday or if we lay an egg against Princeton, but I would bet to say it happens again.

    I realize this is really jumping the gun, but with a lot of misconceptions i've seen in other threads, I thought it probably wouldn't be too early to visit the rematch.

    I posted a similar thread to this last year that a lot of people on here found informative on WVU. I grew up in northeastern Kentucky and bleed Kentucky blue, but moved in 2003 to Parkersburg, West Virginia, so I have had blue and gold shoved down my throat (even worse when WVU won) ever since. Since my fiancee and her family are WVU fans, and her sister is currently attending there, I was able to go to the WVU-Louisville game a couple of weeks ago. I see some similarities between UK and Louisville and how they play, and will try to draw some comparisons.

    Anyways, here goes:

    1. First and foremost, while WVU returned most of their starters, this is a team that is considerably weaker. They lost Devin Ebanks and DaSean Butler, but Butler is the most noticeable. Ebanks was a raw talent who did a lot of garbage work underneath and made up for the lack of a true center, but Butler was the leading scorer and WVU has not been able to replace that consistently. I thought early in the season Casey Mitchell would be that player as he played really well in an early season tournament, but he has been in and out of the doghouse with Huggins all season.

    2. The players WVU does return we are all familiar with. Kevin Jones (KJ) has been the most consistent scoring presence for WVU so far this season and will provide matchup problems for Terrence Jones. The key to stopping KJ is limiting his jumpers and if he misses, keeping WVU off the offensive glass. TJ has somewhat disappeared during the latter part of SEC play and his presence is going to be needed against KJ.

    3. Another matchup that worries me is Joe Mazzulla against Brandon Knight. Mazzulla isn't an offensive player but he is one of the best defensive PG's in the Big East (evidenced by shutting down John Wall last year). If Mazulla is able to get into Knight's head and disrupt our offense, WVU will be able to do what they want in slowing the game to a crawl. It's the only way they will have a chance.

    4. I'm bolding this for emphasis: WVU is not going to run a 1-3-1 zone again. . If they do, Bob Huggins will be essentially giftwrapping the game for us and UK will win by 15+. The whole point of a 1-3-1 is to shut off the interior players and stop penetration. Our offense last season consisted of a blazing fast PG who could penetrate the lane (Wall) and an interior player who was unstoppable around the rim (Cousins). A 1-3-1 is ineffective when playing against a team who has players who can bury you from three. We have three of those in Knight, Lamb, and Miller. Last year we didn't have a Jodie Meeks or even a Xavier Henry who could have been that "zone buster". Asking this years team to beat you with the three is asking to get beat. Mark it down. Expect to see Bob Huggins go to his bread and butter, man to man defense. Unlike last season, every three will be contested.

    5. UK has some defensive players that will pose matchup problems for WVU. Assuming Doron Lamb is healthy, Truck Bryant (who we did not get the privilege to play against last season) is a turnover machine and Lamb's defense will cause problems. Knight will likely be guarding Mazzulla, and I doubt you will see Mazzulla go off again. Lightning rarely strikes in the same place twice. The matchup I am looking forward to seeing is DeAndre Liggins vs John Flowers. If the Ole Miss tunnel altercation tells you anything, Liggins has been playing lately with a chip on his shoulder. Flowers is a similar player and I wouldn't be surprised if the two started jawing at each other (Flowers did the John Wall dance while celebrating last year after WVU beat us).

    6. I'd say the revenge factor is going to be there, mainly for the upperclassmen (Liggins, Miller, and Harrellson). I thought UK overlooked WVU last year looking ahead to Duke and I don't think anybody is looking forward to playing Ohio State the following week. Consider Duke as living proof of this. In 2008, many of the same Dookies were younger players and were upset by WVU in the second round of the NCAA tournament. Most WVU fans thought they would steamroll Duke last year because they did it two years ago, but Duke was a more seasoned team and it showed considerably.

    7. Overall, the big difference is that this years team is a smarter team than last years and is much better at shooting the three, which was our downfall last year. Brandon Knight doesn't have the athletic ability that John Wall did last year, but he is a much better shooter and UK as a whole has limited turnovers. We didn't utilize the dribble drive last year because we had Cousins, so WVU is going to get a different look with that. That being said, the 1-3-1 isn't going to be there, and WVU man to man has done a great job in shutting down the three.

    8. 8-1. I think that pretty much speaks for itself. Huggins has owned Calipari and if it comes down to a chess match with a minute left, I would be hard pressed to bet on Kentucky. One thing I do believe that will help Kentucky though in facing WVU is that we played a similar team with a Huggins assistant (Ole Miss and Andy Kennedy) in the SEC tournament about a week prior to this game.

    9. As I mentioned earlier, I was at the WVU-Louisville game and saw some similarities between Louisville and Kentucky. Peyton Siva played most of the game with four fouls and I would expect WVU to try to do the same to Knight. Louisville is one of the most "finesse" teams in the Big East and WVU's size and physical play gave Louisville's shooters problems. Also would like to point out that Deniz Kilicli is the most unintelligent player I have ever seen play. For all the hype he received (being called the Turkish Kevin Love), he hasn't done anything close to it.

    10. For WVU to beat Kentucky, the Mountaineers will have to keep the score at 65 or lower. WVU is a defensive minded team and Bob Huggins will want to grind it down to a halt. For Kentucky to win, 70 or higher. It's going to come down to three point shooting for Kentucky and for WVU to have somebody outside of KJ step up. I'm going with Kentucky by single digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  4. #873
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,194

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    They don't do it like this though. They start with something like it and then will move teams around for matchup and regional purposes. I'm guessing something happened like that with both Florida and Kentucky.
    I don't believe they change things around for matchups or regional purposes. The pod system took care of that. If you're a top 4 seed, you play in the closest available pod. They may move teams around to avoid having the teams from the same conference meet before the Sweet 16(where possible) but that wouldn't affect Kentucky or Florida.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #874
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,672

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I don't believe they change things around for matchups or regional purposes. The pod system took care of that. If you're a top 4 seed, you play in the closest available pod. They may move teams around to avoid having the teams from the same conference meet before the Sweet 16(where possible) but that wouldn't affect Kentucky or Florida.
    SI.com ran an article a few weeks ago about a mock selection committee. They indicated in that article that once they get the S curve made they will move teams around a line or so when they go to put them in the bracket.

  6. #875
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Sweet 16!!

    So proud of these guys.

    And how are we just now meeting Jorts Senior? Clearly an awesome dad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  7. #876
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Popping by to say congrats on the win. Harrelson was really impressive, and man Brandon Knight is a stud. Only homer-whining I'll do is say that it is physically impossible that Harrellson was not called for an over the back or a 3 seconds in that game, but I have no doubt that the better team won. It stings to have lost that 8 point half time lead, and play such a bad second half, but UK's defense in the 2nd half was noticeably better and more determined. I'll be rooting for UK over OSU. Good luck.

  8. #877
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Congrats to Billy Gillispie on getting the Texas Tech job. I'll be pulling for him to succeed, as long as he doesn't meet up with UK again.

    http://lubbockonline.com/filed-onlin...sketball-coach
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  9. #878
    Member Reds4Life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,932

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    I have a general dislike for UK basketball (mostly the fans), but if you play THE Ohio State University, please kick their ass.

    I am a UC fan, and I get really tired of THE O$U fans talking crap. I think a 10+ point beatdown is in order please. It will make your friends in Cincinnati quite happy.
    Pessimists are well informed optimists

  10. #879
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Popping by to say congrats on the win. Harrelson was really impressive, and man Brandon Knight is a stud. Only homer-whining I'll do is say that it is physically impossible that Harrellson was not called for an over the back or a 3 seconds in that game, but I have no doubt that the better team won. It stings to have lost that 8 point half time lead, and play such a bad second half, but UK's defense in the 2nd half was noticeably better and more determined. I'll be rooting for UK over OSU. Good luck.
    The officiating was bad, but it was on both sides. I'll be honest and say I thought the game was over at halftime. The end to the half and the BS call on the floor scramble I was expecting a similar meltdown from last years team, waiting on a bailout that never came.

    I'm just glad we don't have to face Joe Mazzulla again. Seems like he always has his best games against UK, kinda like Devan Downey for South Carolina.

    I do know after yesterday we picked up 2 million + fans for the Ohio State game.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  11. #880
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    I just got back from a long training environment w/o any outside contact, so I've missed everything. How has the season went? Is our freshmen all going pro again?

  12. #881
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,309

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I just got back from a long training environment w/o any outside contact, so I've missed everything. How has the season went? Is our freshmen all going pro again?
    They lost 6 of 8 on the road in the SEC. Typical up and down season with freshman. Harrelson has turned into a fine inside player that has shocked most UK fans. His development has probably been the key to the late season surge. As for the freshman, Lamb may be back and should come back. I think Jones is gone because he is a projected lotter pick. I think with Knight's late season surge he will leave too. Post season play has turned this into a fun season. They have played well in the post season except for the scare against Princeton.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  13. #882
    C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Almost Heaven
    Posts
    8,445

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    They lost 6 of 8 on the road in the SEC. Typical up and down season with freshman. Harrelson has turned into a fine inside player that has shocked most UK fans. His development has probably been the key to the late season surge. As for the freshman, Lamb may be back and should come back. I think Jones is gone because he is a projected lotter pick. I think with Knight's late season surge he will leave too. Post season play has turned this into a fun season. They have played well in the post season except for the scare against Princeton.
    I wouldn't be shocked to see both Knight and Lamb return. Cal has been telling the players that unless they are a top 3 pick in the draft and can get a shoe deal to stay in school due to the impending lockout. This isn't like last years class where you had three players who were absolutely ready to go pro and two who could have used another season. All three have things that they could work on to further improve their draft stock.

    That being said, I think Jones is for sure gone. With the way he's played lately, it could be said that he has had one foot out the door. If Knight and Lamb come back next season, it could be the start of something special.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

  14. #883
    We Need Our Myths reds1869's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Overlooking GABP
    Posts
    4,467

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I have a general dislike for UK basketball (mostly the fans), but if you play THE Ohio State University, please kick their ass.

    I am a UC fan, and I get really tired of THE O$U fans talking crap. I think a 10+ point beatdown is in order please. It will make your friends in Cincinnati quite happy.
    As I Xavier fan I second your motion. When I lived in Columbus I got incredibly tired of Buckeye fans and there yapping.

  15. #884
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,182

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The officiating was bad, but it was on both sides. I'll be honest and say I thought the game was over at halftime. The end to the half and the BS call on the floor scramble I was expecting a similar meltdown from last years team, waiting on a bailout that never came.

    I'm just glad we don't have to face Joe Mazzulla again. Seems like he always has his best games against UK, kinda like Devan Downey for South Carolina.

    I do know after yesterday we picked up 2 million + fans for the Ohio State game.
    The officiating was bad in that game. I thought early on UK got the bulk of the foul calls. I didn't mind the call at the end of the half. You can't allow a guy to barrel roll into other players. IMO it is a very dangerous foul call.

    It was a good game to watch. UK was much more talented but Huggins coached is rear off. UK just made more plays down the stretch than WVU.

    That said UK better up their game for OSU. I don't know if they have anyone who can guard Sullinger.

  16. #885
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,309

    Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    The officiating was bad in that game. I thought early on UK got the bulk of the foul calls. I didn't mind the call at the end of the half. You can't allow a guy to barrel roll into other players. IMO it is a very dangerous foul call.

    It was a good game to watch. UK was much more talented but Huggins coached is rear off. UK just made more plays down the stretch than WVU.

    That said UK better up their game for OSU. I don't know if they have anyone who can guard Sullinger.
    I'm more concerned abut guarding the 3 ball rather than Sullinger. They have 4 guys who are very good outside. It's going to be hard to contain all 4 of them. If OSU is hot outside then its lights out for UK. But if they shoot average or below UK has a real shot at them. I think Cal will really pressure the three's and try to turn them over as much as possible and take his chances with Sullinger. This isn't a great example but UK did this against Vandy. They pressured the three shooters and let Ezili go one on one inside. But Vandy is no OSU and have much better all around players so that may not work.
    Reds Fan Since 1971


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25