Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

I would give just about anything to have Knight come back more than any other player.

He would be UNSTOPPABLE paired with Teague.

Throw in Lamb as well?

Who knows though... if he's a solid first rounder it will be hard to stay. The labor uncertainty helps our chances a bit.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I'm more concerned abut guarding the 3 ball rather than Sullinger. They have 4 guys who are very good outside. It's going to be hard to contain all 4 of them. If OSU is hot outside then its lights out for UK. But if they shoot average or below UK has a real shot at them. I think Cal will really pressure the three's and try to turn them over as much as possible and take his chances with Sullinger. This isn't a great example but UK did this against Vandy. They pressured the three shooters and let Ezili go one on one inside. But Vandy is no OSU and have much better all around players so that may not work.
    OSU isn't Vandy, thats for sure. The issue I see with that is Sullinger is the best post player I have seen in years. He would dominate Harrellson in the low block. But lets assume that Sullinger can be contained by one UK defender. The next issue is that both Lighty and Bufford are very good drivers. Lighty is one heck of a slasher and Bufford has a great mid range game. Heck Lighty isn't really the threat the other two are from 3. If they play to prevent the 3 both Lighty and Bufford can beat defenders off the bounce.

It a testament to how good OSU is that Lighty was the player that went off from 3 against George Mason. It really shows their versatility and depth that basically their 3rd option from deep went off. If Lighty is connecting from 3 then he is a dangerous dangerous player. You can't overplay the 3 because he will drive right by you. If you play off he has the ability to hit the shot. I would actually make him beat you from the outside. The moment he gets by you and into the lane he becomes a great slasher and passer.

The only way I have seen teams keep it close is by playing a ball control offense. Northwestern played them tough twice by playing a Princeton style of offense and Wisconsin beat them by playing their brand of basketball. I don't know how successful UK could be in playing that style. We all saw how Princeton almost did them in by playing that style of ball. You can hope from the Purdue style win, playing a great game at home and having your all american type wing man go off for 30+. I wouldn't count on that.

1. Knight and Jones have been rumored to go pro from the day they stepped on campus. That's part of the appeal of playing for Kentucky (and Calipari). If they stay, it will be a shock.

2. With the way Jones has played over the past ten games or so, he should re-visit his plans. He only has one move (drive left, lift a left-handed baby hook or running jumper over a smaller opponent) and erratic range. I'm guessing he'll still get drafted, but much lower in the round-- perhaps as high as 20 on talent alone.

3. Lamb's relatively poor NCAA tournament won't help him get drafted either. He's a shooter that hasn't. His good play in the SEC tournament may help him get into the lower part of the first round, but he has some questions about his game as well. The emergence of Eric Bledsoe in LA may have helped Lamb's draft status, though, enough to consider the jump.

4. If Kentucky were to beat OSU, it'd be a huge upset. (Arizona in '97 is the only good comp I could come up with that actually won one of these.) The Buckeyes are the best team in America. They undoubtedly have the most talent, the best shooters, and the best big man. Kentucky has talent, but it's simply not on par with Ohio State. Lighty could kill a team like Kentucky, as he has length, ability, smarts, and range. Sullinger, whose elite passing skills and cerebral approach are ignored by almost every commentator in favor of discussing his imposing physical skills, will destroy either Jones or Harrellson on smarts alone. UK counters with a limited big man and a point guard who can shoot. Sometimes.

If I were a betting man, I'd take OSU with the over set at 14.

5. If Lamb and either Jones or Knight return, Kentucky is a top pick next season. Realistically, it is anyway. Losing Harrellson hurts that team, but the additions of Witjer (who I think is really underrated as a power forward/ center that can stretch defenses past the three point line and play good enough defensively underneath) and Davis (the most talented recruit in the country) balance that out nicely. Add in Gilchrist and Teague, not to mention Miller and Liggins, and the Cats should be among the handful of teams with both enough talent and experience to win it all in 2012. If Lamb stays, that's a rotation with eight players. Add in Knight and/ or Jones and you're suddenly 10 deep and pressing from whistle to whistle, horn to horn. (The athletes are certainly there for it, and Calipari has played a style similar when he's had the horses.)

But that's 2012.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    1. Knight and Jones have been rumored to go pro from the day they stepped on campus. That's part of the appeal of playing for Kentucky (and Calipari). If they stay, it will be a shock.

2. With the way Jones has played over the past ten games or so, he should re-visit his plans. He only has one move (drive left, lift a left-handed baby hook or running jumper over a smaller opponent) and erratic range. I'm guessing he'll still get drafted, but much lower in the round-- perhaps as high as 20 on talent alone.

3. Lamb's relatively poor NCAA tournament won't help him get drafted either. He's a shooter that hasn't. His good play in the SEC tournament may help him get into the lower part of the first round, but he has some questions about his game as well. The emergence of Eric Bledsoe in LA may have helped Lamb's draft status, though, enough to consider the jump.

4. If Kentucky were to beat OSU, it'd be a huge upset. (Arizona in '97 is the only good comp I could come up with that actually won one of these.) The Buckeyes are the best team in America. They undoubtedly have the most talent, the best shooters, and the best big man. Kentucky has talent, but it's simply not on par with Ohio State. Lighty could kill a team like Kentucky, as he has length, ability, smarts, and range. Sullinger, whose elite passing skills and cerebral approach are ignored by almost every commentator in favor of discussing his imposing physical skills, will destroy either Jones or Harrellson on smarts alone. UK counters with a limited big man and a point guard who can shoot. Sometimes.

If I were a betting man, I'd take OSU with the over set at 14.

5. If Lamb and either Jones or Knight return, Kentucky is a top pick next season. Realistically, it is anyway. Losing Harrellson hurts that team, but the additions of Witjer (who I think is really underrated as a power forward/ center that can stretch defenses past the three point line and play good enough defensively underneath) and Davis (the most talented recruit in the country) balance that out nicely. Add in Gilchrist and Teague, not to mention Miller and Liggins, and the Cats should be among the handful of teams with both enough talent and experience to win it all in 2012. If Lamb stays, that's a rotation with eight players. Add in Knight and/ or Jones and you're suddenly 10 deep and pressing from whistle to whistle, horn to horn. (The athletes are certainly there for it, and Calipari has played a style similar when he's had the horses.)

But that's 2012.
    Scrap, I don't disagree with your points about Ohio State, but I actually think Kentucky, position for position, is the toughest match-up Ohio State has faced thus far this season.

On the wing, Lamb, Miller and Liggins share so much in common with Buford, Diebler and Lighty. They are similar height, similar build, similar length, shooting ability, skillset and range. I think it's going to be impressive to see those six interact against one another because of the similarities and versatility.

Where I think Ohio State does take the advantage is at PG and (obviously) inside.

Brandon Knight is clearly more talented than Aaron Craft. He's a little bigger, longer and more athletic. But where Knight is streaky and is prone to poor decisions, the cerebral nature of Craft might be the difference in the two. That said, if Knight is having a good day, while his work will be cut out for him shaking Craft, it's yet another match-up that Kentucky can stack up.

Where I don't see Kentucky staying afloat is inside. I think Harrellson is terribly underrated offensively as a post player nationally, but defense is not his forte and I think Sullinger is going to give him problems. Kentucky will need to rotate Harrellson and Vargas all game to distribute fouls, and they're going to have to get help coming from somewhere to stop him inside. The question is where? I've seen it come from weak baseline, I've seen it come from Craft out top, I've seen diagonal help... but Ohio State just seems to find the hot shooter and it usually doesn't matter where you help off.

In this case though, if Kentucky can keep everything in front, they have the length to challenge shots. Ohio State will have a very difficult time with Terrence Jones when Dallas Lauderdale is on the floor, because frankly he does not like to guard the perimeter. But when Lauderdale is subbed out and OSU goes small, Ohio State becomes extremely difficult.

There's no doubt Kentucky will need to bring its best game and hope Ohio State doesn't bring its own best.

But position by position, I'm fascinated by this match-up because I think Kentucky has the individuals to go at Ohio State. The sum of the parts, though, is where Ohio State makes life miserable on other teams.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Scrap, I don't disagree with your points about Ohio State, but I actually think Kentucky, position for position, is the toughest match-up Ohio State has faced thus far this season.

On the wing, Lamb, Miller and Liggins share so much in common with Buford, Diebler and Lighty. They are similar height, similar build, similar length, shooting ability, skillset and range. I think it's going to be impressive to see those six interact against one another because of the similarities and versatility.

Where I think Ohio State does take the advantage is at PG and (obviously) inside.

Brandon Knight is clearly more talented than Aaron Craft. He's a little bigger, longer and more athletic. But where Knight is streaky and is prone to poor decisions, the cerebral nature of Craft might be the difference in the two. That said, if Knight is having a good day, while his work will be cut out for him shaking Craft, it's yet another match-up that Kentucky can stack up.

Where I don't see Kentucky staying afloat is inside. I think Harrellson is terribly underrated offensively as a post player nationally, but defense is not his forte and I think Sullinger is going to give him problems. Kentucky will need to rotate Harrellson and Vargas all game to distribute fouls, and they're going to have to get help coming from somewhere to stop him inside. The question is where? I've seen it come from weak baseline, I've seen it come from Craft out top, I've seen diagonal help... but Ohio State just seems to find the hot shooter and it usually doesn't matter where you help off.

In this case though, if Kentucky can keep everything in front, they have the length to challenge shots. Ohio State will have a very difficult time with Terrence Jones when Dallas Lauderdale is on the floor, because frankly he does not like to guard the perimeter. But when Lauderdale is subbed out and OSU goes small, Ohio State becomes extremely difficult.

There's no doubt Kentucky will need to bring its best game and hope Ohio State doesn't bring its own best.

But position by position, I'm fascinated by this match-up because I think Kentucky has the individuals to go at Ohio State. The sum of the parts, though, is where Ohio State makes life miserable on other teams.
    Excellent analysis.

So who is getting nervous for tonight?

I am just really hoping for a good game, I hope our guys come ready to play from the tip.

I hope we let Sullinger get his and really defend the 3... no matter the outcome, heck of a season and a great coaching job by Cal. UK basketball is very exciting and fun again.

Could Kentucky crowd the three point shooters, play virtually no help defense, and hope Harrellson can D up well enough to keep Sullinger honest?

IMO, that's Cal's game plan and probably the best choice, at this point, of beating this Buckeye team.

I think it'll take the best game of Kentucky's season AND a poor game by OSU for UK to advance. But OSU is due a poor game, and Kentucky is peaking.

I just hope it's good basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Could Kentucky crowd the three point shooters, play virtually no help defense, and hope Harrellson can D up well enough to keep Sullinger honest?

IMO, that's Cal's game plan and probably the best choice, at this point, of beating this Buckeye team.

I think it'll take the best game of Kentucky's season AND a poor game by OSU for UK to advance. But OSU is due a poor game, and Kentucky is peaking.

I just hope it's good basketball.
    I'd rather let Sullinger get 20 or 30 and 10 and limit second chance opportunities than let Buford/Diebler/Lighty get hot from three.

Ohio State is a better version of Vanderbilt. Vandy had the shooters, but Kentucky clamped down on them and forced Vandy out of their game plan and into an inside game with Ezeli.

Two things worry me going into this game. 1. Ohio State is 5-0 all time in the NCAA tournament against Kentucky and 2. The last time Cal faced Thad Matta and Ohio State was in the Elite Eight against Oden and Company, and Memphis lost by 16. This is a better Ohio State team IMO and this is a younger Kentucky team compared to Cal's team at Memphis.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I'd rather let Sullinger get 20 or 30 and 10 and limit second chance opportunities than let Buford/Diebler/Lighty get hot from three.

Ohio State is a better version of Vanderbilt. Vandy had the shooters, but Kentucky clamped down on them and forced Vandy out of their game plan and into an inside game with Ezeli.

Two things worry me going into this game. 1. Ohio State is 5-0 all time in the NCAA tournament against Kentucky and 2. The last time Cal faced Thad Matta and Ohio State was in the Elite Eight against Oden and Company, and Memphis lost by 16. This is a better Ohio State team IMO and this is a younger Kentucky team compared to Cal's team at Memphis.
    I think the big difference is Vandy is reliant on the 3-pointer. That Ohio State team can and will penetrate if the 3-pointers aren't there or aren't falling. When they're going in, they know they're contagious and shoot because they're falling. But when they're not, they know when to take what's given to them instead of creating a self-induced panic.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I think the big difference is Vandy is reliant on the 3-pointer. That Ohio State team can and will penetrate if the 3-pointers aren't there or aren't falling. When they're going in, they know they're contagious and shoot because they're falling. But when they're not, they know when to take what's given to them instead of creating a self-induced panic.
    True, but I would rather Ohio State beat us inside than out. If its inside and Kentucky can keep it close, it will be their best chance. If Ohio State gets hot from three and the shots start falling, Kentucky is going to be hard pressed to keep up.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

c-a-t-s CATS CATS CATS

What a fun game. Great shot by Knight to win it. What a furious finish to end that.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Great game Buckeyes. holy crap that was awesome... bring on unc

What a game!

Okay, so I've missed basically the entire season.... but what is up with Harrelson? He was practically worthless last season. One of the biggest improvements from year to year that I've ever seen.

I think the main difference between this freshman year and last is that we actually have some leadership now. Liggins played well... loved his tenacity. Gives our defense that "attitude" that it takes to make stops.

UNC is gonna be a tough team to beat, no doubt. I'm liking this underdog stuff though. Haven't had this much fun watching UK play since the "come back Cats" season

Josh got in trouble for some silly twitter comments he made, Cal made him run sprints for 2 weeks, Josh kept running even after it was over w/ Coach Payne and totally remade his body and boy does it show. What a job he did on Sullinger.... he's gonna make a nice living playing basketball for somebody.

Liggins is just NAILS. In ALL aspects of the game.

Turn Off Ads?