Turn Off Ads?
Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Re: University of Kentucky Men's Basketball - 6th edition

Not sure how much I'll be able to sleep tonight...

2. Turn Off Ads?

If UK plays defense like they did against OSU and the first hald against UNC they will win it all. This team, I believe, has matured now that they know they have to play great defense to beat anyone in the tournament. They will win it all.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If UK plays defense like they did against OSU and the first hald against UNC they will win it all. This team, I believe, has matured now that they know they have to play great defense to beat anyone in the tournament. They will win it all.
    I tend to agree. I think the revenge factor will win out against Uconn. I'm just hoping they don't fall asleep against either VCU or Butler or UK will be hung out to dry. I can already see a Shelvin Mack storyline leading up to the championship game (Lexington kid passed over by UK)
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

In the end free throws beat UK. When you only hit 4 of 12 from the foul line that will kill you every time in close NCAA tournament game. If they had matched UConn's 9-11 shooting I think the outcome would have been a win.
    Anyway a great tourney run for the Cats. They far exceeded my expectations in March and made for a memorable Final Four run. Maybe next year they can take it one step further.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

It's Skyline time!

Glad I found this thread. I'm a freshman at UK right now, and cannot wait for next year. It's a great time to be a UK fan, and there are some rumblings that Jones will return next year.

We can sure hope so Carolina. Enjoy your time at UK.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

It's Skyline time!

Thanks, Joseph. Freshman year has been an absolute blast, albeit a little bit harder than I expected. Love being here in Lexington though. It's great because I'm only an hour from GABP if I want to catch a Reds game.
    University of Kentucky Class of 2014

All in all, an amazing season. We ended our Final Four drought and these kids are responsible for hanging another banner in Rupp. The end was still bittersweet, of course, but a Final Four is just awesome and more than any of us forecasted after the curve balls thrown at us along the way this year.

The future looks bright. We will be in the Final Four again soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    All in all, an amazing season. We ended our Final Four drought and these kids are responsible for hanging another banner in Rupp. The end was still bittersweet, of course, but a Final Four is just awesome and more than any of us forecasted after the curve balls thrown at us along the way this year.

The future looks bright. We will be in the Final Four again soon.
    I think we'll be back next year as well. I'm already making travel plans for New Orleans in the end of March.

First weekend - Louisville
    S16/E8 - Atlanta
    F4/NC - New Orleans

Gonna be an epic March.

(You just can't pass up $20 student tickets to the final four)

I didn't get to watch the Burger Boys game, but I did stay up on Saturday night and watch part of the Nike Hoops Summit. I am really excited about what UK has coming in next season.

Anthony Davis is a flat out stud. I had seen AAU videos but with his growth spurt he is a PG playing PF. His passing ability is off the charts. The only flaw I see to his game is strength, but if he can bulk up he will be the number one pick when he comes out.

I'm not too worried about losing Liggins, because if he goes, we have a similar player coming in with Gilchrist. He has the motor and is definitely a slasher to the rim. I can definitely see the Scottie Pippen comparisons.

Marquis Teague is more of a complete floor general, which is what this team missed when Wall and even Bledsoe left. I've always said that John Wall was more comparable to Derrick Rose (creating PG) while Brandon Knight was more of an OJ Mayo (shooting PG). Marquis Teague falls more into the Wall/Rose mold, maybe not as good as those two, but he will be up there.

Wiltjer kinda struggled from the field, but when he did hit from three, he has probably the best 3 pt shooting ability. He is 6'9 and rugged enough to be an inside force this season, but he did get pushed around quite a bit.

What is scary about next season is that if enough players from this years team return, there are so many different ways that they can beat you. The only thing that scares me though is that we aren't going to have a reliable post presence. Unless Eloy Vargas has a Josh Harrellson type season next year, we are going to be weak in that area.
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Looks like Kentucky's luck finally ran out in that game vs UConn, BKnight was terrible. What sucks about the tournament is that the best two teams rarely get to meet for the title. Ohio State wins this tournament 9 out of 10 times, just had some bad luck in that Kentucky game.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I didn't get to watch the Burger Boys game, but I did stay up on Saturday night and watch part of the Nike Hoops Summit. I am really excited about what UK has coming in next season.

Anthony Davis is a flat out stud. I had seen AAU videos but with his growth spurt he is a PG playing PF. His passing ability is off the charts. The only flaw I see to his game is strength, but if he can bulk up he will be the number one pick when he comes out.

I'm not too worried about losing Liggins, because if he goes, we have a similar player coming in with Gilchrist. He has the motor and is definitely a slasher to the rim. I can definitely see the Scottie Pippen comparisons.

Marquis Teague is more of a complete floor general, which is what this team missed when Wall and even Bledsoe left. I've always said that John Wall was more comparable to Derrick Rose (creating PG) while Brandon Knight was more of an OJ Mayo (shooting PG). Marquis Teague falls more into the Wall/Rose mold, maybe not as good as those two, but he will be up there.

Wiltjer kinda struggled from the field, but when he did hit from three, he has probably the best 3 pt shooting ability. He is 6'9 and rugged enough to be an inside force this season, but he did get pushed around quite a bit.

What is scary about next season is that if enough players from this years team return, there are so many different ways that they can beat you. The only thing that scares me though is that we aren't going to have a reliable post presence. Unless Eloy Vargas has a Josh Harrellson type season next year, we are going to be weak in that area.
    Next year's team will be the most DDMO-centric squad Cal has had so far at Kentucky. You don't need a dominating post to run the DDMO, and we will see that next season. You need long, athletic types who can crash the glass relentlessly with great mobility/athleticism (Robert Dozier types).

I'm fascinated to see how Wiltjer is utilized because his game is 'old school' in so many ways... it's a contrast and should allow Cal to keep opposing teams/coaches off-balanced throughout a game.
    Last edited by WMR; 04-11-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Looks like Kentucky's luck finally ran out in that game vs UConn, BKnight was terrible. What sucks about the tournament is that the best two teams rarely get to meet for the title. Ohio State wins this tournament 9 out of 10 times, just had some bad luck in that Kentucky game.
    Ohio State by far and away got the worst draw in the tournament. I had Syracuse winning the East region because had they made it to Newark they would have had a crowd advantage. Add in Kentucky who was peaking at the right time and UNC who was a pretty strong 2 seed and it was a recipe for disaster. If anything, we know how you feel because we drew a 2 seed who should have been a 1 last year in WVU.

As for the game, Kentucky played their best defensive performance, holding a UConn team that had been scoring 80 points a game to 56. The problem is, they turned in their worst offensive performance and fatigue had a major factor in it. UConn subbed at will and Napier is a lockdown defender at PG. Knight was fatigued pretty much the entire second half and it showed when his shots kept coming up short.

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Next year's team will be the most DDMO-centric squad Cal has had so far at Kentucky. You don't need a dominating post to run the DDMO, and we will see that next season. You need long, athletic types who can crash the glass relentlessly with great mobility/athleticism (Robert Dozier types).

I'm fascinated to see how Wiltjer is utilized because his game is 'old school' in so many ways... it's a contrast and should allow Cal to keep opposing teams/coaches off-balanced throughout a game.
    I don't know, Cal has always had some skilled bigs. Joey Dorsey was a rebounding machine at Memphis. Patrick Patterson and Terrence Jones have played the Dozier role, next year will be Davis who will be better than both of them.

I see Wiltjer not being used that often. He has a lot of potential, but somebody who is probably going to contribute more by his sophomore season.

What is going to be even better is if the NBA passes the two and done rule that is being discussed. If that happens, it would take effect after this draft and Davis, Teague, and Gilchrist would all be back for a sophomore season.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    No team wins a tournament 9 out of 10 times. Take off the OSU colored glasses and quit being a troll. You love OSU, you don't like UK. We get it, move on.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quick serious question;

What do you enjoy more, Kentucky basketball or Cincinnati Reds baseball? Difficult question, I know, but one has to edge the other.

Turn Off Ads?