Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
i see cards trolls are out in force. lets be honest here, what did you think of that tiff he had with ryan early in the game? that was insane right? i mean ryan wanted a new glove...big deal, if a lace broke that can obviously cause problems. it was just odd, agreed? oh if the media in st louis asks about that and prints what it was about, please post. im curious
Well, I really don't blame him for being angry. I love Ryan and what he brings to the field but he is the kind of guy who, how can I say this, is immature for his age. His antics can get annoying, though they can make they clubhouse lively. From what I understand, Brendan Ryan was taking BP within the clubhouse while some of the guys were on the field getting ready to start play. The whole glove thing just added to what was going on. I really think it was an instance where the Cards were getting ready to play an important series against the Reds and a players head wasn't in the game. Since Carpenter is a leader in the club house, I see no problem with him getting angry at the guy. After the game, Carpenter said everything was forgiven. I remind you that Carpenter is the one who basically went to LaRussa last year asking Ryan to be the SS every time he pitches. He likes the guy.

By no means am I comparing Carpenter to Bob Gibson but Gibson was the same kind of player. Heck, he told his catcher once to get back behind the plate when the said catcher started to walk to the mound. Gibson gets labeled as a fierce competitor but people take umbridge with this incident.