Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Chris Carpenter is......

Re: Chris Carpenter is......

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    i see cards trolls are out in force. lets be honest here, what did you think of that tiff he had with ryan early in the game? that was insane right? i mean ryan wanted a new glove...big deal, if a lace broke that can obviously cause problems. it was just odd, agreed? oh if the media in st louis asks about that and prints what it was about, please post. im curious
    Well, I really don't blame him for being angry. I love Ryan and what he brings to the field but he is the kind of guy who, how can I say this, is immature for his age. His antics can get annoying, though they can make they clubhouse lively. From what I understand, Brendan Ryan was taking BP within the clubhouse while some of the guys were on the field getting ready to start play. The whole glove thing just added to what was going on. I really think it was an instance where the Cards were getting ready to play an important series against the Reds and a players head wasn't in the game. Since Carpenter is a leader in the club house, I see no problem with him getting angry at the guy. After the game, Carpenter said everything was forgiven. I remind you that Carpenter is the one who basically went to LaRussa last year asking Ryan to be the SS every time he pitches. He likes the guy.

By no means am I comparing Carpenter to Bob Gibson but Gibson was the same kind of player. Heck, he told his catcher once to get back behind the plate when the said catcher started to walk to the mound. Gibson gets labeled as a fierce competitor but people take umbridge with this incident.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Also, as a Cards fan, I appreciate Carp being angry a guy for not doing his job correctly when the game is essentially a blowout. Most guys would let it be but he is a perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Also, as a Cards fan, I appreciate Carp being angry a guy for not doing his job correctly when the game is essentially a blowout. Most guys would let it be but he is a perfectionist.
    When did 4 run wins become blowouts?

At the time he allowed the second run, which he got mad at Ryan for, it was a blowout. At least the way Carp was pitching it felt like the Reds were lifeless at the plate. The final score still left little to be desired in the "close game" category however.

By the way, here is a good article on the whole Carp/Ryan issue:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_stl

Are avatars a perk?

By the way, here is a good article on the whole Carp/Ryan issue:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...tnerId=rss_stl
    Wow...pretty embarrassing. Couldn't he have waited until the game was over and talked to him alone? Stepping a foot out of the dugout isn't private. I don't care if the guy is a "competitor". He's not Ryan's supervisor.

Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    Wow...pretty embarrassing. Couldn't he have waited until the game was over and talked to him alone? Stepping a foot out of the dugout isn't private. I don't care if the guy is a "competitor". He's not Ryan's supervisor.
    Actually, on the field, Carpenter is Ryan's supervisor. Carpenter is the #1 leader on the field outside of Pujols and what ever he says goes. Reading the story more, I back Carpenter on this one. Ryan was late getting on the field and picked out the wrong glove. He can't be doing that in a playoff type game. It would be one thing if it was game 10 in the season but this was an important game. The focus needs to be there.

Are avatars a perk?

No, Carpenter is a pitcher and a teammate. If this or something similar to it would have happened before with Ryan, I could understand it. But it's not smart to alienate a player who you rely on to field ground balls.

Actually, Ryan has been flaky all year and has generally been an immature player in his career. The Cards have put up with his antics because he is one of the best defensive SS in the game (even in a down year he is in the top 5 in Ultimate Zone Rating). However, this kind of stuff is nothing new with Ryan and it gets annoying at times watching him all year. Yes Carpenter is a pitcher and teammate but I have no problem with him calling out a player that doesn't have his head in a game and important series. I like Ryan but he is a head case at times.

An ace.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Chris Carpenter is.........
    .....a reason for Cardinal trolls to join this board.

...is reminiscent of

a little b*tch

Actually, Ryan has been flaky all year and has generally been an immature player in his career. The Cards have put up with his antics because he is one of the best defensive SS in the game (even in a down year he is in the top 5 in Ultimate Zone Rating). However, this kind of stuff is nothing new with Ryan and it gets annoying at times watching him all year. Yes Carpenter is a pitcher and teammate but I have no problem with him calling out a player that doesn't have his head in a game and important series. I like Ryan but he is a head case at times.
    Dude, no offense but you calling Ryan immature for his age, and back up Carpenter sounds ridiculous.

How do you know he is immature in the Club House?

Also, Carpenter was way out of line doing what he did... Almost Carlos Zambrano like... But not as big a scene...

Carpenter is just upset about his ERA.

....someone who will throw his starting SS under the bus on national tv for no good reason.
    Last edited by texasdave; 08-10-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Turn Off Ads?