Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: It wasn't that bad

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    679

    It wasn't that bad

    There was one bad inning. We held them scoreless for 8 innings. Fisher looked good. We clawed back, a little bit.

    When I switched from the Cardinals feed to ESPN, it sounded a lot more hopeful. The Cardinals announcers were saying stuff like, "show these guys they can't play with us." (Which is ridiculous, because you can't show that from one game).

    Plus after our winning streak you couldn't expect a victory against Carpenter. I expect a W tomorrow and a toss-up on Wednesday, exiting the series still in first place.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    175

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by redssince75 View Post
    There was one bad inning. We held them scoreless for 8 innings. Fisher looked good. We clawed back, a little bit.

    When I switched from the Cardinals feed to ESPN, it sounded a lot more hopeful. The Cardinals announcers were saying stuff like, "show these guys they can't play with us." (Which is ridiculous, because you can't show that from one game).

    Plus after our winning streak you couldn't expect a victory against Carpenter. I expect a W tomorrow and a toss-up on Wednesday, exiting the series still in first place.
    We have to have one of the worst announcing duos in the league. Hrabosky is just downright awful and McLaughlin is tolerable at times, but nowhere near good enough to make up for how bad Al is.

    Anyway, with regards to the original point, I agree. Leake just didn't have it and this was the biggest pitching disadvantage of the series for the Reds. It's a whole new ballgame tomorrow.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    I've got to say I pretty much expected to lose today. Leake really has not ben that great pitcher he was early in the year, and Carpenter just destroys us. If one of the many ground balls that got through were turned into a DP it would have been a whole different ball game though.

  5. #4
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I've got to say I pretty much expected to lose today. Leake really has not ben that great pitcher he was early in the year, and Carpenter just destroys us. If one of the many ground balls that got through were turned into a DP it would have been a whole different ball game though.
    Agreed, tomorrow is our best shot with Cueto vs. Garcia. I didn't feel like Leake pitched all that terrible tonight, because like you said, many of those ground balls weren't hit extremely hard, and were very close to being DP balls. Thats the way the game goes I guess, hopefully the Reds will get some breaks tomorrow.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    376

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Not worried at all..Leake hasn't been his best lately, and that bad inning was like batting practice..After they took Leake out, the Cards couldn't muster anything(very reminiscent of last week's game against the Bucs) We win tomorrow, it's back to 2 games..I think Wood needs to be back in the front 4, as he's more fresh than Leake, with a little more command.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Yeah really. The Cards beat up on a young pitcher who had pitched more Innings than ever before in his career. Also he got hit around by the Houston Astros in his last start... Boone and Nomarrrrr said he might have hit a wall because of the amount of Innings he has logged this year.

    Then the Cards got nothing the rest of the night...

    They sure taught the Reds a lesson... Thats for sure...

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Many of those ground balls ... were very close to being DP balls.
    I don't remember a single one that was close to being a double play.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsFanInBama View Post
    I don't remember a single one that was close to being a double play.
    Off the top of my head Molina's for sure could have been if it was hit a little more towards Janish. A few others were hit pretty slowly and still made it through.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Yeah, it was hit weakly, but it wasn't close to being a double play. None of them were. Holliday's was the next softest hit, but he was just trying to hit the enormous hole that we gave him with our alignment. The ball wasn't within 20 feet of a Reds infielder.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    I think that's what he means by DP ball. A ball hit weakly in the infield is basically showing that Leake was doing some things right, but just couldn't catch a break.

  12. #11
    Member mroby85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    2,282

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    I think that's what he means by DP ball. A ball hit weakly in the infield is basically showing that Leake was doing some things right, but just couldn't catch a break.
    That is what i meant, obviously the balls found the holes in the infield so in actuality they didn't come close to turning a double play, but Leake did his part to some degree by making them hit it on the ground. He can't really place where they hit it, and every one found a hole in the infield. I didn't think i'd need to explain what I meant by that.

  13. #12
    Retro-Gamer Krawhitham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,729

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    We have to have one of the worst announcing duos in the league. Hrabosky is just downright awful and McLaughlin is tolerable at times, but nowhere near good enough to make up for how bad Al is.

    Anyway, with regards to the original point, I agree. Leake just didn't have it and this was the biggest pitching disadvantage of the series for the Reds. It's a whole new ballgame tomorrow.
    I noticed something about fans in general

    They all hate their manger, closer, & announcers

  14. #13
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    I noticed something about fans in general

    They all hate their manager, closer, & announcers
    Throw in ticket prices, warm beer and stale popcorn.

  15. #14
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,797

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    I thought a key play was when Jim "French's" Edmonds failed to throw Pujols out at the plate. When I saw Pujols was going I felt pretty sure he was going to be out.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    94

    Re: It wasn't that bad

    I also agree with the statement of the key play of edmonds not throwing pujols out at the plate. When the game started and I saw edmonds starting in center, I was hoping his arm wouldn't come into factor in the game. Edmonds has always had a weak arm in the outfield for along time.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25