Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 29

Thread: Leake needs to be in AAA

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Cuyahoga Falls Ohio
    Posts
    769

    Leake needs to be in AAA

    and not come back this season. that is all

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    539

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    haha. If a few of those grounders were more left or right and they are double plays.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    29

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    I wouldn't be opposed to trying Homer Bailey out as a starter in Leake's place. Leake's struggling and with this being his first professional year and never thrown this many innings before, who knows if he returns back to April/May form (for this year). Homer has been pitching great in AAA, and h pitched real well to end the season last year, maybe he's a better pitcher at the end of a season.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    348

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Orodle View Post
    haha. If a few of those grounders were more left or right and they are double plays.
    Pretty much my exact thought. One real mistake pitch was sent into the bullpen. Other than that one rough and unlucky inning, the Reds played very well and scored some runs throughout. Could have easily gone our way tonight, like it did the Cardinals....Hilarious how Leake is the hero and now the villain in Cincy. I think he gets sent down to limit his innings and could come back in some relief role. The kid can flat out pitch.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    906

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    i don't think its as simple as he just got unlucky. he missed a lot of his spots that inning. those ground balls weren't necessarily line shots but they were hit w/ above avg. contact. if the defense was positioned differently that could been a lot easier inning after that well hit leadoff double.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Tonight's game was not a simply him being unlucky.

    Jay crushed a ball. Pujols hit a rope. Schumaker obviously ripped one.

    This is becoming a trend with Leake. I don't know if it's simply a matter of the league figuring him out or what, but he's been less than effective for most of the last two months. He's had a good start or two sprinkle in there, but most have not been even quality starts.

    It's completely fair IMO to wonder if he should remain in this rotation. I didn't expect him to go out there and beat Chris Carpenter, but I did expect him to at least give us a chance and keep us in the game. He failed to do that for the second straight start.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Weatherford, Texas
    Posts
    2,125

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Dude. This is the most Innings he has pitched all year... He was probably the candidate to skip instead of Wood...

    Given his recent struggles against, uh hmmmm, the Astros...

    I dont think him pitching in AAA makes much sense...

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    When it comes down to it the question is if Leake is one of the 5 best starters the Reds can put out there. Right now it's probably a no. I believe that Bailey can step into the rotation and be a better pitcher than Mike right now. For that reason I think it's time for Leake to finally get a taste of the minors.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Umm...Bama
    Posts
    764

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Hondo View Post
    Dude. This is the most Innings he has pitched all year... He was probably the candidate to skip instead of Wood...

    Given his recent struggles against, uh hmmmm, the Astros...

    I dont think him pitching in AAA makes much sense...
    If they want to stretch him out to 170 innings, AAA does make sense until he reaches that number. They may not want to do that, but I had heard that was the number they were shooting for. You can still take him out of the Reds rotation and stretch him to 170 in AAA before shutting him down. Would take a few more starts to get there (he's at about 130 now).
    Last edited by RedsFanInBama; 08-10-2010 at 02:54 AM.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    147

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA




    I think Mike has hit a wall, maybe not the wall mentioned above, but a wall nonetheless.

    Gonne be interesting to see what they do with him, I think he'll get one more chance though.

  12. #11
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    The Reds do need to consider sending him to AAA. Either the hitters have figured him out or he's tired. The ground ball hits don't bother me that much (that's to be expected with a sinker ball pitcher)...what does is the HR's.

    In his first 11 starts, he allowed 4 HR. In his 10 starts since, he's allowed 11. This has helped cause his ERA to skyrocket. In his first 11 starts, his ERA was 2.22. In the 10 starts since, his ERA is 5.72 (that's not including the 6 runs he gave up in Pittsburgh that were nulled--with those included, it'd be 6.67).

    I don't know how much longer they can continue sending him out there with Homer Bailey pitching so well in rehab.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    147

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    The Reds do need to consider sending him to AAA. Either the hitters have figured him out or he's tired. The ground ball hits don't bother me that much (that's to be expected with a sinker ball pitcher)...what does is the HR's.

    In his first 11 starts, he allowed 4 HR. In his 10 starts since, he's allowed 11. This has helped cause his ERA to skyrocket. In his first 11 starts, his ERA was 2.22. In the 10 starts since, his ERA is 5.72 (that's not including the 6 runs he gave up in Pittsburgh that were nulled--with those included, it'd be 6.67).

    I don't know how much longer they can continue sending him out there with Homer Bailey pitching so well in rehab.
    Nice stat, to add to your point, his xFIP has been far above his actual ERA the entire season. Before the start tonight his actual ERA was 3.43, and his xFIP was 4.41.

    Alot of this is just regression to the mean.

  14. #13
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lebanon
    Posts
    7,067

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    I think they need to just DL him with a tired shoulder. Plain and simple. Shut him down for the season. Don't wear him out at triple A. It serves no purpose.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

    "Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

  15. #14
    Are avatars a perk?
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    132

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    I think they need to just DL him with a tired shoulder. Plain and simple. Shut him down for the season. Don't wear him out at triple A. It serves no purpose.
    If you shut him down for the season now, you run into the same problem with innings next year. He needs to be evaluated medically and if everything checks out, he should go the minors and get his 170 innings in.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    854

    Re: Leake needs to be in AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by couch_manager View Post
    If you shut him down for the season now, you run into the same problem with innings next year. He needs to be evaluated medically and if everything checks out, he should go the minors and get his 170 innings in.
    +1

    He needs to get stretched out, if there isn't anything medically wrong with him they need to get him used to the workload.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25