Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chris Carpenter: What a great guy

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Chris Carpenter: What a great guy

I think Carpenter has taken over the mantle of MLB player I dislike the most.

http://stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com/new...=.jsp&c_id=stl
    Carp voices displeasure to Ryan over gaffe
    Ace upset after waiting on shortstop to take field, get right glove

Shortstop Brendan Ryan hadn't taken his position yet, and Carpenter was ready to pitch. Worse yet, when Ryan finally made it to his position, he didn't have the right glove, so another pause was required so he could get the proper equipment.

It didn't sit well with the famously fiery Carpenter, who stared darts at Ryan's spot as he waited. The two retreated into the dugout tunnel after the inning ended, where Carpenter made it clear that he was none too pleased with the misstep.

Some more background from this year. I attended a Dbacks/Cards game earlier in the year. During that game, Edwin Jackson hit Carpenter while he was batting, and Chris was furious, letting off a huge amount of steam that he did not appreciate getting hit. The benches started to clear but nothing happened and finally order was restored with Carpenter taking 1st base.

The very next batter hit a slow roller to 2B. Carpenter was out by at least four steps, but still proceeded to take out Stephen Drew with a very dirty high slide. Drew of course, did not appreciate it and let him know by getting in his face about it.

The benches then cleared for real, and the guys from the bullpen came hustling out and some words were exchanged but no actual fighting took place.

While that was going on. Carpenter slunked out of the crowd, went to the dugout, got his glove, went back to the mound, then proceeded to bark at the umpires to clear the field so he could get started with the next inning. All from a fracas he started. Yeah I don't like that guy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chris Carpenter: What a great guy

He's easily the most dislikable player in baseball.

The dude's either on some serious PED's and that's causing his ridiculous outbursts, or he's just genuinely a psychotic lunatic.

Either way, reminds me a lot of a guy like Joey Porter.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    2013 Reds Record when I attend: 5-4
    2012 Reds Record when I attend: 10-7

He needs a serious butt whoopin' and then an even more serious daily psychotropic drug regimen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

It seems like Carp has been doing things like that more this season than I ever remember him doing in the past.

He seems like a Grade-A a-hole.

He is such a baby.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Don't forget the incident where Chris Carpenter screamed at Carlos Lee despite Lee doing absolutely nothing wrong.

"I wasn't trying to show him up," Lee said. "I never looked at him. I got [mad] because I got a pitch to hit and I popped it up. I was mad at myself. I don't know what he said to me, but he said something and was looking at me, staring at me. For what?"
    http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=stl

Of course LaRussa put the blame on Lee.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    It seems like Carp has been doing things like that more this season than I ever remember him doing in the past.
    Yea. He's always kinda been like that but it seems like he's in a whole new gear this year.

Don't get me wrong - he's the type of guy you love if he's wearing your team's uniform, but man is he annoying as an opposing fan.

I never liked Roy Oswalt due to his domination of The Reds - but it was for that only. To my knowledge RoyO never did anything that deserved over the top hatred. But Carpenter just rubs me so many wrong ways.

Carpenter vs. Big Z in a no-holds barred cage match.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Well...I remember that game, and I couldn't understand why Carpenter started yelling at Lee. It didn't make much sense, but I don't know what was said on the field either.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Carpenter vs. Big Z in a no-holds barred cage match.
    Oh mercy, that would be the beating of a lifetime. Priss is the better pitcher hands down, but Big Z. world destroy him in a fight. IMO.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

If you've all learned nothing else this week, you should have learned that the Cardinal you despise this year could be the Red that Jocketty picks up next year.
    /r/reds

Roid. Rage.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Reds missed a golden opportunity last night to put one in Carpenter's earflap.

Here's the Edwin Jackson highlight: http://mlbpaa.mlb.com/news/article.j...=.jsp&c_id=mlb
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Well...I remember that game, and I couldn't understand why Carpenter started yelling at Lee. It didn't make much sense, but I don't know what was said on the field either.
    This is not to suggest that his performance is falling off a cliff. Lord knows he has continued to own the Reds. But could it be that a guy who is pretty tightly wound anyway is looking towards the closing of his own personal "window" and is taking out some frustration on teammates. Maybe if his fastball isn't as consistently fast, or what have you and he just is more irritable because of it?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Turn Off Ads?