Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rolen gets my vote

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Rolen gets my vote

For most likely to become a major league manager, and I hope the Reds see it some day. The only thing that will prevent it is his dedication to family, which I would applaud that as a valid reason.

Having watched Rolen lead on the field, and obviously he is viewed as the elder statesman of the team in the clubhouse, I have a hypothesis on why he has been at odds with his managers but gets great respect as a teammate.

Scotty sees the game the way a manager needs to see it. While that allows him to take advantage of certain things with his considerable baseball talents, it has led to run ins with first Bowa and then LaRussa as he questioned some of their bonehead managerial moves. Scotty probably did not hesistate to say "not sure that was a good move, Skip" and let the chips fall where they may. I am guessing he has probably scratched his head out loud a few times at moves that we question ourselves, and with the two that he has had conflict, it is certainly understandable that Bowa and LaRussa answer to no one, esp. a player.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rolen gets my vote

Your logic is good except that Rolen has all the cash he needs and wants to be near home. I can't see him being up for the grind of traveling and being away for what Managers make. Its usually the fringe guys who still need the money who are the best bets to manage. Corky Miller gets my vote.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Turn Off Ads?