Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What I learned...

What I learned...

The Reds aren't ready for prime time yet, but they will be sooner or later.

Depth doesn't always equal quality. 6 decent starters don't trump 2.5 good ones.

Fans are fickle, myself included, but I don't think I've seen a fanbase across the board seemingly fail to recognize the truth staring them in the face like this week. No, not the Reds, but the Cards. They do whine, sometimes incessantly so. Yet to a man their fans [I have a LOT of friends who are Cards fans] they seem to think they do absolutely no wrong. Their guys are right when they criticize a Masset for pumping his fists, but when Pujols claps and happy dances across home plate he just 'loves the game'. Yes, I completely understand if Phillips had said nothing there would have been no situation last night. However the Cards fans I've spoken with since all seem to think Molina has ZERO blame. Simply ludicrous. There is a lot of blame to go around in BOTH dugouts.

Cubs fans may be terrible, but Cards fans are carpooling with them on their way to the park.

Internet Cards fans who descended upon RZ like a plague of locusts make Cubs fans look like Harvard grads.

If I were in a brawl I used to think Gomes was the Red I'd most want to have my back. Now its a tie between Rolen and Cueto.

I love baseball, but I already knew that, its just nice to be reminded why every once in a while. Meaningful baseball is always fun, especially in the second half when we are normally looking for the season to end and more excited about September call up than potential play off rosters.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Cincinnati Bengals - None
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What I learned...

I hope one of the guys learned (or was reminded of) this:

Don't let your mouth write a check your butt can't cover.

What I learned:

Cardinals fans are worse than Cubs fans. I read on twitter last night that Cardinals fans were spitting beer on Reds fans and were trying to pick fights at the game last night. I saw at least three different tweets mentioning this. That's ridiculous. I've been to two Reds/Cards games at GABP this season and both times Cards fans were very arrogant and cocky. Cardinals fans have surpassed Cubs fans as the most obnoxious fans in baseball, IMO.

Everything you said is true. In the eyes of Cardinals fans, Cardinals players can do no wrong. They are perfect little angels.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    What I learned:

Cardinals fans are worse than Cubs fans. I read on twitter last night that Cardinals fans were spitting beer on Reds fans and were trying to pick fights at the game last night. I saw at least three different tweets mentioning this. That's ridiculous. I've been to two Reds/Cards games at GABP this season and both times Cards fans were very arrogant and cocky. Cardinals fans have surpassed Cubs fans as the most obnoxious fans in baseball, IMO.

Everything you said is true. In the eyes of Cardinals fans, Cardinals players can do no wrong. They are perfect little angels.
    If we're just talking National League, I'm inclined to agree with you. Although reaching the heights of depravity set by Cubs fans is a very, very high (low) standard to reach...

Just be glad we don't have to deal with Red Sox and Yankees fans.
    Last edited by WMR; 08-11-2010 at 04:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

We're not going to make the playoffs this year. That's what I learned.

Ready for primetime someday? Maybe. If Jay Bruce starts hitting. If we ever truly develop a #1 starter. If, if, if. That's what I see.

Guess I should just be happy that we're going to have a winning season. As if that's any constellation.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    We're not going to make the playoffs this year. That's what I learned.

Ready for primetime someday? Maybe. If Jay Bruce starts hitting. If we ever truly develop a #1 starter. If, if, if. That's what I see.

Guess I should just be happy that we're going to have a winning season. As if that's any constellation.
    We're a game out of first and tied for the Wild Card lead right now.

Step away from the ledge.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Frankly, I think this board has collectively lost its mind.

Phillips decides he's going to pop off about the Cards. OK, a dangerous tactic but you never know.

And then, from where I sit, it all disasterously backfired and blew up. The Cards got royally p-o'ed and cleaned the Reds' clock. I think this is the time where you say "OK, I guess I won't do that any more". And you shut the hell up.

And now people are retroactively trying to make a case about the Cards being whiners and Cards fans are the spawn from Hell. The truth is, the Reds precipitated all this. And now they are paying the price for it.

And I guess twitter is the voice of reason now? I was at the ballgame last night and sat next to a Cards fan. Our discussion was lively but reasonable. And I saw a lot of rowdy and happy Cards fans but no beer dumping or fight instigation. I've seen Cubs fans and they were nowhere close to that level of obnoxiousness.

I think everyone needs to take a really big deep breath.

Pay attention to the open sky

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    If we're just talking National League, I'm inclined to agree with you. Although reaching the heights of depravity set by Cubs fans is a very, very high (low) standard to reach...

Just be glad we don't have to deal with Red Sox and Yankees fans.
    I am thankful for that fact everytime I think about the Orioles and what they deal with on a semi-regular basis. I went to a four game series in Baltimore a few years ago between them and the Red Sox and I actually felt like a visitor in their home ballpark. Their fans were everywhere and some of them were so obnoxious. I have a couple of friends who are RS fans and I adore them, but man the obnoxious RS fans are just beyond horrible. Yankee fans too although I also have a few friends who are Yankee fans and very nice. I think the loudmouths drown out the sane ones, LOL
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

Phillips decides he's going to pop off about the Cards. OK, a dangerous tactic but you never know.

And then, from where I sit, it all disasterously backfired and blew up. The Cards got royally p-o'ed and cleaned the Reds' clock. I think this is the time where you say "OK, I guess I won't do that any more". And you shut the hell up.

And now people are retroactively trying to make a case about the Cards being whiners and Cards fans are the spawn from Hell. The truth is, the Reds precipitated all this. And now they are paying the price for it.

And I guess twitter is the voice of reason now? I was at the ballgame last night and sat next to a Cards fan. Our discussion was lively but reasonable. And I saw a lot of rowdy and happy Cards fans but no beer dumping or fight instigation. I've seen Cubs fans and they were nowhere close to that level of obnoxiousness.

I think everyone needs to take a really big deep breath.
    Your act is getting tired old man, don't be so grumpy.

Now let's go yell expletives at anyone who doesn't see it our way!!

You obviously can't believe everything you read on twitter but I read three different accounts of Cardinals fans causing problems. Where there's smoke there's fire. I've been to two Reds/Cards games this season and Cards fans were very rude. Not all of them but some. There's nothing worse than going to a game and having to put up with obnoxious fans around you.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    You obviously can't believe everything you read on twitter but I read three different accounts of Cardinals fans causing problems. Where there's smoke there's fire. I've been to two Reds/Cards games this season and Cards fans were very rude. Not all of them but some. There's nothing worse than going to a game and having to put up with obnoxious fans around you.
    I've had that happen to me at Cards games from Reds fans. What conclusion do you think I should bring from that? I just figured that there are bad apples that root for every team, but apparently I should have concluded that Reds fans are rude and obnoxious? right?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    If the notion that Cards fans are worse than Cubs fans is seriously being entertained, then you are absolutely correct.

Every fan base gets arrogant when they are at the top, but Cubs fans are horrible and arrogant even when they are at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    If the notion that Cards fans are worse than Cubs fans is seriously being entertained, then you are absolutely correct.

Every fan base gets arrogant when they are at the top, but Cubs fans are horrible and arrogant even when they are at the bottom.
    Cubs fans are nowhere near as bad as Cardinals fans. It's not even close.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Your act is getting tired old man, don't be so grumpy.

Now let's go yell expletives at anyone who doesn't see it our way!!
    Bah, get off my lawn, punk.

Pay attention to the open sky

People are just frustrated. We just got swept at home and lost first place and then had to put up with trolls on the Sun Deck. Now LaRussa is lobbying for one of our best pitchers to recieve a harsh suspension for defending himself. I think all the hatred for the Cardinals right now is to be expected. It's really hard to read some of those comments on Sun Deck and not be upset with Cardinals fans. Maybe I missed it, but I've never seen fans of an opposing team come to Redszone and troll like Cardinals fans have the last few days (that doesn't include you Matty. I disagree with you on a lot of things but you're not trolling).
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 08-11-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?