Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Birth of a True Rivalry...Finally

The Birth of a True Rivalry...Finally

The Reds may have stumbled badly this past series against the Cardinals, but perhaps something good came from from it all. In the big picture, the Reds may have finally given birth to a great rivalry. A rivalry that will sell out the ballpark, attract fan attention, and create national attention. The Reds have had more exposure on ESPN in the last 24 hours than they have had in the last eight to ten years. It may not have been all good exposure, but we got to see the Reds featured at the top of every hour.

They have not had a true rivalry since the 1970s when they regularly fought it out with the Dodgers. But those days are long gone. The Reds are no longer even in the same division with the Dodgers who represent just another opponent now. The Reds now have the birth of something to build on.

Yankees-Red Sox, Ohio State-Michigan, Lakers-Celtics, Ali-Frazier...serious rivalries are good for the fans. They generate excitement and passion. I hope the Reds have finally built a real rivalry.

I can't wait until the September series in St. Louis. I hope it is still meanigful in the standings, but I know it will be meaningful to the fans of both teams no matter their team's record. There will be more excitement and passion.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Birth of a True Rivalry...Finally

A hammer and a nail do not have a rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    +1

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Yep...this could be a huge rivalry. BP and Cueto have emerged as two of the most unpopular players to Cardinals fans...now that Cueto injured one of our players.

Hmm, all I see is a broom and some fans who think a pushing and shoving fight proves something.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Yep...this could be a huge rivalry. BP and Cueto have emerged as two of the most unpopular players to Cardinals fans...now that Cueto injured one of our players.
    yeah imagine the outrage if it was guy who actually played

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    yeah imagine the outrage if it was guy who actually played
    lol well he was going to play today.

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421
    I think it is more about the emotion evoked by the contest between two rivals as the measure of a true rivalry and not the outcome of one series. I can remember some one sided series when the faithful fans stayed loyal to their teams. The Red Sox I believe won the first ten games with the Yankees last year and no one declared the end of the rivalry. The Yankees were the winners in the last eight games and again no one declared the rivalry dead. It is about the emotion more than the outcome.

In fact, the Red Sox have been the nail to the Yankee hammer for most of the past 80 years. Their fans stayed emotionally involved with their team despite the Yankee's dominance. The rivalry has survived and has grown.
    Last edited by Spitball; 08-11-2010 at 08:50 PM.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I think it is more about the emotion evoked by the contest between two rivals as the measure of a true rivalry and not the outcome of one series. I can remember some one sided series when the faithful fans stayed loyal to their teams. The Red Sox I believe won the first ten games with the Yankees last year and no one declared the end of the rivalry. The Yankees were the winners in the last eight games and again no one declared the rivalry dead. It is about the emotion more than the outcome.

In fact, the Red Sox have been the nail to the Yankee hammer for most of the past 80 years. Their fans stayed emotionally involved with their team despite the Yankee's dominance. The rivalry has survived and has grown.
    Well stated.

And furthermore, the Reds played pretty well most of the series. It wasn't like they looked like the Bad News Bears and the Cardinals the Big Red Machine. A few balls find holes for the Reds, a few don't for the Cardinals, and the Reds could have swept the series.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    Only he really didn't.

There are many pics and video of the game that show LaRue unmarked in the face, laughing and perfectly fine in the dugout. If he really got a concussion, he would have been in the trainers room the whole game, or sent to an emergency room.

He may have been kicked in the face, hard to tell on the video, but I am calling standard Cardinal crybaby BS on the whole concussion story. They love to make themselves the victim.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    They love to make themselves the victim.
    Exactly, and if LaRue doesn't put himself in the middle of the melee, he doesn't get himself hurt.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Gotta start splitting with the Cards at the very least for this to be a true rivalry. The Hammer/nail thing was good.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Yea, LaRue seemed A-OK in the dugout last night and his face seemed just fine other than the fact that he's an ugly dude.

This whole "concussion" thing is nothing more than Abner DUIbleday Larussa trying to by a few more games of possible suspension for Cueto. That's it.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Well, if the Reds are going to do this and be all in, then I say bring up Chapman and have him plunk Pujols to really make a statement. Yeah, he could plunk Molina, Carpenter, and maybe somebody else, but if he went out there on the mound, in Busch Stadium and plunked Pujols with a 102 MPH fastball, that would be making a statement.

Turn Off Ads?