Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44

Thread: Danny Dorn

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    52

    Danny Dorn

    I'm kind of new to this site, but I have been following the Reds minor league system for a few years.

    What are the long term thoughts/potential on Dorn by y'all?

    He seems like a nice hitter. It looks like he is (26).

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by Texas Pete View Post
    I'm kind of new to this site, but I have been following the Reds minor league system for a few years.

    What are the long term thoughts/potential on Dorn by y'all?

    He seems like a nice hitter. It looks like he is (26).
    Platoon/bench player

    LH version of Gomes with less flaws. Not a great comp but for the sake of argument thats probably the type of player you should expect.
    Last edited by GIDP; 08-11-2010 at 06:47 PM.

  4. #3
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Better defense than Gomes and will hit for better average. He could start for a lot of teams. The Reds don't seem to give him much credit for his accomplishments. He gets ragged on for his defense but he's not bad, really. Not above average, but not bad.

    He looks a little like Gomer Pyle. :-)

    Gomer Dorn, I call him.

    Last year, one of the "acts" that they bring in featured a somewhat attractive Russian chick. Dorn's eyes were glued to her every time she was on the field. Maybe he has a hula-hoop fascination. ;-)

  5. #4
    ZCTRMTP!!!!! texasdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,806

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Attractive Russian chicks and hula hoops. Isn't minor league baseball great?

  6. #5
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,434

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Attractive Russian chicks and hula hoops. Isn't minor league baseball great?
    It's one of the most underrated things in America. That's not to mention how cheap it is plus the fact that many stadiums have dollar beer night. You often don't have a single bad seat in the stadium. The players are very approachable if that's your thing. I could go on and on.

  7. #6
    Louisville Bats Expert batsfan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    691

    Re: Danny Dorn

    When Dorn gets hot, he hits monstrous HR's to right. I was completely convinced that when the Yankees traded for the #1 rule five draft pick, they would choose Dorn, as he seemed a perfect New Yankee Stadium hitter, and would have fit in their (at the time) outfield and DH holes. Come to think of it, he would be a perfect GABP hitter too, with the short right field, and though I think he would be better then Gomes in left (HE SHOULD HAVE CAUGHT THAT RASMUS FOUL!!!!!!), he has not played left very much this year at all.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Definitely undervalued in the Reds org for some unknown reason. I would've cut Nix yesterday and brought Dorn up if it were up to me.

  9. #8
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Definitely undervalued in the Reds org for some unknown reason. I would've cut Nix yesterday and brought Dorn up if it were up to me.
    I think you could say he is definitely overvalued by many here on RZ.

    I remember a lot of angry posts last year about Dorn being left unprotected for the Rule V draft only to see every team pass on him. I just don't see him doing anything at the major league level.

  10. #9
    Member GOYA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    5,143

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I just don't see him doing anything at the major league level.
    What do you base that on? That no one claimed him?

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think you could say he is definitely overvalued by many here on RZ.

    I remember a lot of angry posts last year about Dorn being left unprotected for the Rule V draft only to see every team pass on him. I just don't see him doing anything at the major league level.
    Flawed thinking honestly. Nelson Cruz could have been picked up by anyone just a few seasons ago.

    Is it possible that LH platoon bats just arent type of players you pick up in rule 5 drafts? I think that has a lot more to do with it.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    California
    Posts
    410

    Re: Danny Dorn

    I wonder if Dorn didn't somehow factor into the reason they traded Dickerson? Maybe the front office felt he could deliver next year from the left side more than Dickerson.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Heisey and Stubbs combined with Dickerson injury history probably had much more to do with that than Dorn did.

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,843

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think you could say he is definitely overvalued by many here on RZ.

    I remember a lot of angry posts last year about Dorn being left unprotected for the Rule V draft only to see every team pass on him. I just don't see him doing anything at the major league level.
    What is overvalued about him? What stats would indicate that? I'm curious to hear your argument(s) against him and why you don't think he can contribute at the MLB level.

  15. #14
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,178

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    What is overvalued about him? What stats would indicate that? I'm curious to hear your argument(s) against him and why you don't think he can contribute at the MLB level.
    His overall value is overvalued.

    From the reports I have seen of Dorn he is an extreme split type hitter who plays poor defense. To me it is telling when a guy who can hit as well as Dorn can wasn't even given a shot at in the Rule V draft. Its a very cheep way to take a shot on a guy.

    The Reds throughout his minor league career really haven't projected him to be a major league player. Maybe the Reds are wrong on this guy, but I doubt it.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Danny Dorn

    Yea I dont think anyone thinks Dorn is going to be a regular at the major league level, but unless something goofy is out there that we dont know I fully expect him to be a decent major league LH bat. He might be able to start on some bad teams but yea hes probably good enough to be on the bench of about every major league team out there as long as he doesnt fall on his face.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25