Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Danny Dorn

Re: Danny Dorn

Plenty of players are not taken in the rule 5 draft every year. That doesnt mean they arent good, it just means that a team didnt want to add him to their 40 man roster and carry him on the 25 man roster for a full season. Guys who basically are a LH LF/1b platoon guys probably arent very popular. Heck Rule 5 picks dont even happen that much as it is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    From the reports I have seen of Dorn he is an extreme split type hitter who plays poor defense.
    So you've never seen him play?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    So you've never seen him play?
    Can't say I have. Just based off of reports I have seen.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Dorn's the kind of guy who could probably put up half-decent numbers if given a chance, but his limitations will make it difficult to get one. His skill set boils down to a resume with one bullet: "Hits right-handed pitching." The role he'd slot into is very specific and not every major-league club has that role to offer. And it's not really that difficult to scrounge left-handed bench bats, which is probably why he went undrafted in Rule V and hasn't been plucked out of the system via trade.

It's also possible he has a known flaw that makes people think his minor-league numbers won't translate against big-league pitchers, but I haven't heard of anything specific like that.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Dorn can hit MLB right handed pitching, most likely better than Nix. (Probably hit LH pitchers better too, given the chance). Nix however is more versatile defensively. Only reason I can think of. (I always thought Nix would be great in a brawl, but,,, nah).

His overall value is overvalued.

From the reports I have seen of Dorn he is an extreme split type hitter who plays poor defense. To me it is telling when a guy who can hit as well as Dorn can wasn't even given a shot at in the Rule V draft. Its a very cheep way to take a shot on a guy.

The Reds throughout his minor league career really haven't projected him to be a major league player. Maybe the Reds are wrong on this guy, but I doubt it.
    Can't say I have. Just based off of reports I have seen.
    Ah. the infamous reports.

scouting reports or guy with a beer at a game?

he's a career .884 OPS bat which includes an injury year in 2009 where he struggled at AAA. Yep, he's got some extreme splits. So does Gomes, but Dorn hits the hand he'd face 75% of the time.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

The slash line for players who DH in the American League is this: .248/.326/.420/.746.
    A club could have Dorn DH against righthanders, give regulars a rest at 1B or LF, and be available to pinch hit in the remainder of the games. I can certainly see a place for him in the A.L.

The Mariners were dumb for not taking Dorn in the rule five draft.

As much as I don't like Nix, he's actually been very good for the Reds against RHP. Seeing as how his defense is much better than Dorn's, I'm not losing sleep because the Reds aren't high on Dorn. I just wish he would be added to the roster and packaged with someone for value.

It is absolutely not "cheap" to take a guy in the rule V draft. The roster spot is usually non existent. It's also much more common for pitchers to be grabbed in the rule V than hitters. Teams just don't have the ability to stash a bat that isn't very flexible.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    The Mariners were dumb for not taking Dorn in the rule five draft.

As much as I don't like Nix, he's actually been very good for the Reds against RHP. Seeing as how his defense is much better than Dorn's, I'm not losing sleep because the Reds aren't high on Dorn. I just wish he would be added to the roster and packaged with someone for value.
    The reason why most would want Dorn over Nix is because of Hesiey being on the major league roster. He filled that defensive OF role that Nix used to fill. Nix then was basically only around for the bat, and honestly he doesnt hit well enough to be a LH bat off the bench. When hes hot hes monster hot, but when hes cold hes cold as anyone. That basically ends up with a low .700 OPS in a platoon role with a very low BA. Dorn probably was the better guy to have.

Edmonds makes it all pointless now since hes easily an upgrade over Nix.

My post really has nothing to do with dorn

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    The reason why most would want Dorn over Nix is because of Hesiey being on the major league roster. He filled that defensive OF role that Nix used to fill. Nix then was basically only around for the bat, and honestly he doesnt hit well enough to be a LH bat off the bench. When hes hot hes monster hot, but when hes cold hes cold as anyone. That basically ends up with a low .700 OPS in a platoon role with a very low BA. Dorn probably was the better guy to have.

Edmonds makes it all pointless now since hes easily an upgrade over Nix.

My post really has nothing to do with dorn
    A low .700 OPS? For the Reds, he has a .788 OPS against RHP. Maybe Dorn could hit better than that, but I doubt he could do much better. I love Dorn's swing, and against RHP, he's no slouch, but I see him as a .750 OPS guy vs. RHP in the Major Leagues, and I'm being generous so I seem less stupid on the chance that I'm very wrong.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned about Dorn is his ability to take a walk. He's been in a slight hitting slump lately but his ability to get on base via a free pass has not been slowed down at all. His season OBP is about 90 points higher than his BA and that OBP leads the team among the regular players.

I'm curious about how he would compare to Gomes. Even with his buyout included the difference between the two financially would probably be at least $1M. Heisey could be the starter in left with Dorn his backup.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Reds go with an OF configured like this next year:

LF - Heisey/Dorn

CF - Stubbs/Heisey

RF - Bruce/Heisey

Ideally I'd like to see them go out and get a Brad Hawpe type guy to stick in left because he has proven he can rake against righties in the Bigs, but whos to say Dorn can't turn into that guy?

Agree with the majority on this one, completely undervalued by the big league club and it's F.O. and not at all overvalued on RZ. RZ sees him as a bench LHB who can hit with some pop, take a walk and play 1B/LF occasionally and not be a complete drag on the offense should he not be swinging the bat real well at a given time. And for a small market team he's a much better fit than Nix now and in the near future. If he is less than that I'd be shocked. He's being held back for one glaring reason, his foot speed isn't ideal and his power not quite enough to make up for it, thus he doesn't fit the mold of what this F.O./Manager appreciate.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?