Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the Reds need to make the playoffs next season

What the Reds need to make the playoffs next season

Lets face it guys this year isnt going to be the year the Reds make the playoffs. This Cardinals series just proved that. The Reds arent ready for the playoffs just yet. They are 2 key areas away from a playoff run. They need to make a run at a true #1 starter next season and i mean a true #1 not a #3 disguised as a 1. They also need a corner outfielder that can hit leadoff because we all know Dusty is going to hit the SS reguardless of who it is in the 2 hole. Hes proved that with Janish.

So i say they need to make a strong run at Lee in the off season. Out him in this rotation and it would be amazing. The maybe try to trade for Dejesus or a OF close to him.

These moves would make the Reds a playoff team.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What the Reds need to make the playoffs next season

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    Lets face it guys this year isnt going to be the year the Reds make the playoffs. This Cardinals series just proved that. The Reds arent ready for the playoffs just yet. They are 2 key areas away from a playoff run. They need to make a run at a true #1 starter next season and i mean a true #1 not a #3 disguised as a 1. They also need a corner outfielder that can hit leadoff because we all know Dusty is going to hit the SS reguardless of who it is in the 2 hole. Hes proved that with Janish.

So i say they need to make a strong run at Lee in the off season. Out him in this rotation and it would be amazing. The maybe try to trade for Dejesus or a OF close to him.

If you guys don't win the central I still think you will win the Wild Card. Don't count your team out. The Reds are still better than most teams in baseball right now and your bullpen (outside of Coco) is something most playoff caliber teams do not have.

Are you kidding me right now? The last time this team made the playoffs was 15 years ago, and they're 1 game back with about 50 left to play, and you want to talk about next year when the season will start in a tie with 162 left to play? As Ochocinco would say, Child Please! This season isn't over, and you also have the wild card to look at. Not even thinking about next season yet, and won't be until football season is over, and the only thing on espn is basketball.

Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Are you kidding me right now? The last time this team made the playoffs was 15 years ago, and they're 1 game back with about 50 left to play, and you want to talk about next year when the season will start in a tie with 162 left to play? As Ochocinco would say, Child Please! This season isn't over, and you also have the wild card to look at. Not even thinking about next season yet, and won't be until football season is over, and the only thing on espn is basketball.

Not kidding at all. I just think this team is way to young and way to unexperienced. I hope to the good lord above Im wrong theres nothing more (other than UK winning another NC) i like to happen then for the Reds to make the playoffs. I just dont think they willl show up when they need to and this series with the Cards just proved that. They will end up any were from 5-8 gms out at the end of the season. If we get what we need int he off season this team could be the best in the game but they need work now. They are a good team but not great and the players have to believe which they dont now. Maybe next season with a upgrade they will.

Not kidding at all. I just think this team is way to young and way to unexperienced. I hope to the good lord above Im wrong theres nothing more (other than UK winning another NC) i like to happen then for the Reds to make the playoffs. I just dont think they willl show up when they need to and this series with the Cards just proved that. They will end up any were from 5-8 gms out at the end of the season. If we get what we need int he off season this team could be the best in the game but they need work now. They are a good team but not great and the players have to believe which they dont now. Maybe next season with a upgrade they will.
    While i'm not saying I definitely think the Reds will make the playoffs, i'm definitely not ready to give up on this season because of the series with the Cardinals. They've played 110 games and are 1 game back of the Cardinals, and spent the last 8 days in 1st place before this series, haven't been seperated by more than 3 games in a very very long time, there is no way to logically say they can't contend with this team for the division. I'm tired of next year talk, the time is now, and they're in a position to make a run.

How does a series with the CARDINALS prove that the REDS won't make the playoffs?

We play the CARDINALS 3 more times.

Reds record against teams not named St. Louis? 59-41.

All this series proves is that the Reds struggle against the Cards. Nothing less and nothing more.

Well the Reds got swept, and the sky is falling...

Guess that's to be expected, though it would be nice to remember that the Reds are only a game back in both the division and the wild card, which with 47 games left to play ain't all that bad.

But let the sky continue to fall if you wish it to.

A) I believe you are wrong that Reds can't make the playoffs this season
    B) We have an ace in the making in Johnny Cuteo
    C) Our outfield is set with Heisey/Stubbs/Bruce for the next 4-5 years

Quote Originally Posted by zjr1717 View Post
    Well the Reds got swept, and the sky is falling...

Guess that's to be expected, though it would be nice to remember that the Reds are only a game back in both the division and the wild card, which with 47 games left to play ain't all that bad.

But let the sky continue to fall if you wish it to.
    I'm not sure what I hate more sky is falling posts or posts like this.

im definitely not counting out the reds this season and probably shouldnt post in this thread as a protest to all the negativity, but it seems like every thread i read here that talked about trades etc. hanley ramirez name gets mentioned.

1.) is he on their trading block?
    2.) what would it take for the reds to get him? i was thinking yonder, bailey, and someone else.

since yonder is position blocked and SS is the biggest need for next year i think it would make sense to use yonder to find a top SS.

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    I'm not sure what I hate more sky is falling posts or posts like this.
    Hate all you want.

Dudes, this whole thread is about moves to improve the club for 2011...

Talk about it!

Begin.

As the Reds lose out to the New York Yankees for LHP Cliff Lee, when Lee signs a 5 year/110 Million Dollar Deal with the Yanks...

The Reds begin to ponder their future...

Needing a Left Fielder who is an Amazing Fielder and Lead Off Hitter...

The Reds target Free Agent Left Feilder Carl Crawford, formerly of the Tampa Bay Rays...

After weeks of negotiations, Walt Jocketty and Crawfords agent Brian Peters agree on a 6 year, 85 Million Dollar Contract making Crawford the Highest Paid Player in Cincinnati Reds History. Giving the Reds a Dynamic Left fielder and a Bonafide Lead Off Hitter for the first time since the days of Bip Roberts...

More to come!

I think the biggest weakness on this team has been the outfield offense. It's been pretty dreadful across all three positions save for a month and a half from Gomes, a month from Stubbs, and the first 3 months from Bruce.

I would go out and look for a suitable bat for left field. From what I've read it's almost a lock that the Rockies don't pick up the option on Hawpe and I think he would be a pretty great fit in Left for the Reds. He gets on base, slugs at nearly a .500 clip year to year, and has a solid glove when compared to Gomes (who doesn't). He has played his entire career in right but I think he could probably make the transition to left and still be a defensive upgrade for the Reds.

Yes, he does this while playing at Coors but I don't think Coors and GABP are all that dissimilar, and I actually think he would be helped by playing fewer away games in those monster west coast parks against the Rockies division rivals.

I would roll with a line up like this and be pretty stoaked.

Phillips 2b
    Heisey CF
    Votto 1B
    Rolen 3B
    Hawpe LF
    Bruce RF
    Hanigan/Hernandez C
    Janish/Cozart SS
    P

I wanna keep on witht his season and worry about next year when this ones over with. I am nervous, but excited, to see hwo the Reds regroup and rebound after the last several days. The next week + will tell a lot about this teams character and heart, do they come together and kick booty as a team, or do they roll over and die?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Turn Off Ads?