Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Re: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

I can understand why it wasn't here since it seems like a bunch of guys got together and put this list together, but speaking for all the women in or around their thirties right now, I think Jem and the Holograms was pretty darn awesome to watch every Saturday morning. : I did watch Bugs and the gang too and I would have had a fit if the Smurfs weren't on there, but my absolute favorite cartoons are the Peanuts ones. IIRC, there was a brief Peanuts (Snoopy?) cartoon on Saturday mornings but I don't remember how long it was on.

I don't know much, if anything, about half of those cable shows.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

That's a stupid website.

Just list the 50 instead of making you go through 250 "cookies" in order to look at the list.

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Anyone else a fan of the Ant and Aardvaark cartoon? Best part of the Pink Panther show. I was disappointed to find out that wasn't really Jackie Mason as the Aardvark and Dean Martin as the Ant (John Byner did both voices).

That was a good one. So was Here Comes The Grump....

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I can understand why it wasn't here since it seems like a bunch of guys got together and put this list together, but speaking for all the women in or around their thirties right now, I think Jem and the Holograms was pretty darn awesome to watch every Saturday morning. : I did watch Bugs and the gang too and I would have had a fit if the Smurfs weren't on there, but my absolute favorite cartoons are the Peanuts ones. IIRC, there was a brief Peanuts (Snoopy?) cartoon on Saturday mornings but I don't remember how long it was on.

I don't know much, if anything, about half of those cable shows.
    I remember Jem and the Holograms being on primarily in the afternoons following school, typically right before dinner. My sister HAD to watch it.

I think we're pretty close in age. I do remember a Peanuts cartoon on Saturday mornings also, but I can't recall the exact year(s). Later 80's or early 90's though, I'm pretty sure.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    What if you lived close to the Platte River?

<----former Nebraska resident. I still say go Huskers once in a blue moon.
    I just don't think there's a lot of fresh water animals that could use their strength to help fight a tough villain like the Joker.

Unless you live on one of the coasts, Aquaman is useless.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I just don't think there's a lot of fresh water animals that could use their strength to help fight a tough villain like the Joker.

So, that's why there's never been a "Salamander-Man".

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I I do remember a Peanuts cartoon on Saturday mornings also, but I can't recall the exact year(s). Later 80's or early 90's though, I'm pretty sure.
    I distinctly remember one bizarre episode of the Peanuts Saturday morning show. Charlie Brown got fed up with the kite-eating tree and took a bite out of it. Unfortunately, the EPA came after him, and he had to leave town.

EDIT: That was from "It's an Adventure, Charlie Brown," which originally aired in 1983.
    Last edited by Johnny Footstool; 08-14-2010 at 02:21 AM.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cha...nd_Snoopy_Show

The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Show 1983-1985
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    This.

GAC's list was solid as well. Very funny.

HR Pufnstuff?
    Hong Kong Fooey?
    Laffalympics?
    Schoolhouse rock?
    Flash Gordon?
    He-Man?

This thread has rattled a few spider webs in my melon, a good exercise.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show was fantastic. I own the DVDs, and I still find it funny even after seeing each episode probably close to a dozen times.

Really, you can pin the "death" of Saturday Morning Cartoons on cable. Before everyone and their brother had cable or directv, you would only have certain times where cartoons would be on (right after school on the UHF stations, and Saturday morning). Now, I think there are at least three stations on my directv that show nothing but cartoons, and three or four more channels that show nothing but kid / pre-teen programming.

The allure of getting up to watch cartoons on Saturday morning was killed by the fact that you could find them any day of the week at any time.
    My kids still get up on Saturdays to watch cartoons, just not on the networks. I think cable was able to move in and pick up most original cartoon programming is because the networks became too risk averse to stuff that didn't have a marketing tie in. Primetime programming is going the same direction.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post

And I bet Green Peace and various animal rights groups would be giving him the "cease and desist" order over the way he enslaved marine life to do his bidding.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I purchased the the first season of the old Fantastic Four cartoon, as well as a Heckle & Jeckle collection from here....

http://www.crazy4cartoons.com/index.htm

Pretty reasonable prices.

Senor Votto

My list would be one show long:

#1. Batman: The Animated Series

We just got in the mail this weekend a Bugs Bunny DVD that we had forgotten we had ordered. It had been on back order for a looooong time from Columbia House. It has 15 of his flicks on it. I haven't had chance to watch any yet but I will be. You never get too old for Bugs!
    Reds Fan Since 1971

more...

Clutch Cargo
    Beanie and Cecil (theecil the theethick thee therpent)
    Jonny Quest
    Underdog
    Roger Ramjet
    Heckle and Jeckle
    Top Cat
    Yogi Bear
    Tennessee Tuxedo
    Felix the Cat
    Tom Terrific
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Turn Off Ads?