Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

...at least according to Complex.com.

http://best.complex.com/lists/the-50...rtoons/pokemon

Re: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

Any list that does not begin with the Looney Tunes just isn't valid

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Any list that puts TMNT's #1 ain't valid.

I'm now an old fart in his mid-50s but grew up during what I call the zenith of SMCs during the 60s. And that was back before there was 24 hr cable TV, and you only had UHF and VHF. My younger brothers and I would be up early laying on the living room floor in front of the ol' B&W TV waiting for the test pattern to disappear and for the networks to start broadcasting our favorites....

Mighty Mouse, Heckle & Jeckle, Popeye, Bullwinkle & Rocky, Tom & Jerry, Deputy Dawg, the list goes on and on. You had Hanna-Barbera, Terrytoons, Jay Ward, King Features, and the old MGM and Max Fleischer shorts. Good times.

And I loved watching Roy Rogers and Sky King. Never missed them.

It's too bad that Saturday morning cartoons, for the most part, have pretty much disappeared. We get the Boomerang Channel on Directv which shows a lot of those old cartoons though.

I find some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network somewhat ridiculous and offensive with some of their material. I do like SpongeBob though.
    Last edited by GAC; 08-12-2010 at 05:39 AM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Zoinks!

Bad list. A lot of cartoons based on video games and toys. Kid & Play? Really? I love cartoons. I have 28 DVDs of Looney Tunes and every Fleischer Brother's Popeye cartoon ever made in my collection. This is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Any list that puts TMNT's #1 ain't valid.

I'm now an old fart in his mid-50s but grew up during what I call the zenith of SMCs during the 60s. And that was back before there was 24 hr cable TV, and you only had UHF and VHF. My younger brothers and I would be up early laying on the living room floor in front of the ol' B&W TV waiting for the test pattern to disappear and for the networks to start broadcasting our favorites....

Mighty Mouse, Heckle & Jeckle, Popeye, Bullwinkle & Rocky, Tom & Jerry, Deputy Dawg, the list goes on and on. You had Hanna-Barbera, Terrytoons, Jay Ward, King Features, and the old MGM and Max Fleischer shorts. Good times.

And I loved watching Roy Rogers and Sky King. Never missed them.

It's too bad that Saturday morning cartoons, for the most part, have pretty much disappeared. We get the Boomerang Channel on Directv which shows a lot of those old cartoons though.

I find some of the cartoons on Nickelodeon and the Cartoon Network somewhat ridiculous and offensive with some of their material. I do like SpongeBob though.
    You're right on the money. Where are Coyote and the Road Runner! My two favorites that did make the poorly researched list are Doug at #10 and Tom and Jerry at #32. Huckleberry Hound?

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Exactly. Absolute classics!!

I'm through the first 11, and I swear if I don't see "Kid Video" on this list somewhere, I'm going to be upset.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

For me, it was when Doug, Recess, and Pepper Ann were on. Doug was always a classic.
    Votto for MVP

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I've read the first 5, and the fact that they couldn't come up with a list of 50 cartoons that didn't include "Hammerman" and "Ewoks" really says a lot about both the quality of the subject matter.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

I don't want to click 49 times to find out what is #1, but I'm with freestyle. If it's not Looney Toons, there's something wrong with the list.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I'm through the back 25, and thus far, no Kid Video. Also, no Speedbuggy and the Chopper Bunch, Turbo Teen, Benji and Zax or Laff a Lympics. Street Sharks, however, a one season TMNT rip off, has been mentioned. I question the credibility.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I'm through the back 25, and thus far, no Kid Video. Also, no Speedbuggy and the Chopper Bunch, Turbo Teen, Benji and Zax or Laff a Lympics. Street Sharks, however, a one season TMNT rip off, has been mentioned. I question the credibility.
    These are some of my favorites too, and I'm 8 years older than you. How does that happen?

Bugs Bunny, Tom & Jerry, SuperFriends and The Tick are probably my favorites from this weak list. The Tick was absolute genius. SuperFriends seems painfully bad now but I got up early when I was a kid just so I wouldn't miss it. Plus, you can't beat Ted Knight as a narrator. "Meeeanwhiiile, back at the Hall of Justice..."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Looney Tunes not number 1????
    I guess if they do a list of the greatest basketball players of all time they will rank Michael Jordan number 17 or so, or maybe leave Jim Brown off of the list of the greatest running backs of all time.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    These are some of my favorites too, and I'm 8 years older than you. How does that happen?
    I must have been advanced for my age...or you were watching these shows in your mid to late teens.

Also, I guess I won't argue with Land of the Lost, but if it's on the list, how can you not include Pee-Wee's Playhouse?

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I must have been advanced for my age...or you were watching these shows in your mid to late teens.

Also, I guess I won't argue with Land of the Lost, but if it's on the list, how can you not include Pee-Wee's Playhouse?
    How is Pee-Wee a cartoon?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?