Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

Re: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

Pink Panther, anyone?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The Great Grape Ape Show.

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    My list would be one show long:

#1. Batman: The Animated Series
    I picked up all of the DVDs for this show a few years back at $15/per box at FYE. It's an amazing adaptation that doesn't look at all dated, even a decade+ later, and is amazingly rewatchable.

This fell into the "after-school" cartoon genre, though -- not really Saturday morning material. It, along with X-Men, was the gold-standard for cartoons in the 90s, IMO.

I used to be sorry that kids today didn't appear to have cartoons with the writing quality and production values of Batman and X-Men, but I recently went through the first two seasons of "Avatar" on Netflix, and that's every bit as good as those shows were.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

We always watched/taped Batman: TAS in the afternoon.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

...Cool McCool
    Secret Squirrel
    Atom Ant
    Wacky Races
    Archie
    The Jetsons
    The Flintstones (were Primetime IIRC initially as were the Jetsons)
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It wasn't a Saturday morning cartoon, but the end of this clip is an all-time favorite.

YouTube - Christopher Walken and The Brain discuss physics

As for actual Saturday morning cartoons, one of my best memories as a kid involves watching Saturday morning cartoons with my dad and laughing our tails off for the entire hour.
    Last edited by paintmered; 08-16-2010 at 11:21 PM.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I picked up all of the DVDs for this show a few years back at $15/per box at FYE. It's an amazing adaptation that doesn't look at all dated, even a decade+ later, and is amazingly rewatchable.

This fell into the "after-school" cartoon genre, though -- not really Saturday morning material. It, along with X-Men, was the gold-standard for cartoons in the 90s, IMO.

I used to be sorry that kids today didn't appear to have cartoons with the writing quality and production values of Batman and X-Men, but I recently went through the first two seasons of "Avatar" on Netflix, and that's every bit as good as those shows were.
    In college, our regular routine was to overcome our hangovers with McDonalds' breakfast, Batman, X-Men, Animaniacs, and The Terrible Thunder Lizards (and Life With Louie I think). The new episodes were on Saturdays and repeats were on after classes during the week.

Avatar is a great show. They're coming up with a follow up series centered on the next Avatar, a waterbender. Other good shows I watch with my kids include Ben 10, Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama series, and Batman: Brave and the Bold.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    As for actual Saturday morning cartoons, one of my best memories as a kid involves watching Saturday morning cartoons with my dad and laughing our tails off for the entire hour.
    When I had to have surgery a few years ago, my dad drove from Va. Beach to Asheville, NC to stay with me. While we were in the hospital waiting room, a Bugs Bunny cartoon came on the TV. We just started laughing and for a while, all of the nerves about my upcoming surgery were gone.

Moral of the story: cartoons (and dads) are awesome.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    In college, our regular routine was to overcome our hangovers with McDonalds' breakfast, Batman, X-Men, Animaniacs, and The Terrible Thunder Lizards (and Life With Louie I think). The new episodes were on Saturdays and repeats were on after classes during the week.

Avatar is a great show. They're coming up with a follow up series centered on the next Avatar, a waterbender. Other good shows I watch with my kids include Ben 10, Adventure Time, Chowder, Flapjack, Total Drama series, and Batman: Brave and the Bold.
    I'd forgotten completely about Animaniacs -- that show was absolutely fantastic. I used to watch re-runs of that in college on cartoon network in the afternoons after class (mornings were for "Price is Right" and re-runs of "American Gladiators"). I remember watching that show and wondering how on earth any kid could be amused by the humor, at least 50% of which would go right over the head of anyone under 20. I mean, they had a song once with a refrain of "It's a great big universe, and we're all really puny / just a bunch of little specks about this size of Mickey Rooney."

And, that's cool news about Avatar -- I just started watching season 3 this week. I'm clearly out of the target demo, but I'm enjoying the heck out of it. I should call my friend and thank her for dragging me to see the awful movie.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post

Moral of the story: cartoons (and dads) are awesome.
    well said rich
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

MASK is a little far down the list. And Looney Tunes not number 1?

And what about Captain Planet and Defenders of the Earth?

Whilst they may not have been Saturday morning in the US the following definitely deserve a place above some others. Astroboy, Transformers, Battle of the Planets, Masters of the Universe, Babar, The Secret City of the Incas and Ulysees.

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
    MASK is a little far down the list. And Looney Tunes not number 1?

And what about Captain Planet and Defenders of the Earth?

Whilst they may not have been Saturday morning in the US the following definitely deserve a place above some others. Astroboy, Transformers, Battle of the Planets, Masters of the Universe, Babar, The Secret City of the Incas and Ulysees.
    Starblazers
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

used to watch something with some kids in a spacecraft with wings,that was ok,but me and my brother was real big on gi joe,thundercats,he-man,some superfriends.Later on,life with louie was pretty funny.
    When I was smaller,Mr.cartoon(with beeper)showed all the looney tunes.That was before I got cable.

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    Any list that does not begin with the Looney Tunes just isn't valid
    Exactly. Absolute classics!!

This month is the 50th Anniversary of the first showing of "The Flintstones".

13 episodes during the Fall of 1960. I believe it aired at 7:30 pm on ABC. Don't remember what Weekday it was. (I was only 2 years, 3 months.)

Turn Off Ads?