Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

The Buckeye Bomber

Re: 50 Greatest Saturday morning cartoons...

I now present the greatest cartoon short of all-time.

YouTube - Duck Amuck
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Atleast it was on Saturday morning.
    Both Land of the Lost and Pee-Wee's Playhouse were on Saturday mornings.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I must have been advanced for my age...or you were watching these shows in your mid to late teens.
    Let's go with column A.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Both Land of the Lost and Pee-Wee's Playhouse were on Saturday mornings.
    I loved Land of the Lost as a kid, Pee-Wee's playhouse was funny even though I was older when it was on. My personal favorites were Scooby, Superfriends and Wacky Races.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

For a trip down memory lane..

Schedules and program profiles for every series the networks broadcast on Saturday Mornings from the mid-Sixties all through the Seventies and into the eighties
    http://www.tvparty.com/sat.html

Some of the garbage on that list is the reason why networks have gone away from Saturday Morning Cartoons. Everything was either a lame celebrity vehicle or a poorly done infomercial for a toy. Most original stuff moved to Nick and Cartoon Network. The fact that ther is no Bullwinkle tells me all I need to know about the listmakers.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Loony Tunes were the ultimate! Gossamer will always be my favorite.

I always thought Rugrats was cute too.

I loved Land of the Lost as a kid, and I was lucky enough to watch it again when I was in college I worked a late 12am-5am shift, and I would stay up and watch it when it came on the Sci Fi network at 6. The plotting was surprisingly competent for a low-budget kids show.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by freestyle55 View Post
    It's not a "Saturday Morning" cartoon, but right now, out of all the "new" cartoons, Phineas and Ferb is by far my favorite. Dr. Doofenshmirtz is one of the all-time great bumbling idiot bad guys...
    Absolutely. I'm an old timer who thinks you can't do any better than Bugs and the gang, and I love Phineas and Ferb. Inventive (pun intended) and intelligent, not to mention a wee bit subversive. Better than I have any right to expect from Disney.

While the animation wasn't exactly the greatest, I loved Jay Ward cartoons....

Last edited by GAC; 08-13-2010 at 05:55 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

When I was a kid I would live for Saturday morning cartoons. Cartoons weren't on 24/7 like today. So Saturday morning was a real bonanza. Bugs Bunny and the whole Looney Tunes gang were my favorites. Cartoons would be on from about 7 am until past noon. I think I stayed glued to the TV the entire time most Saturdays. There just seemed to be a unique specialness of cartoons being on Satuday mornings that just isn't there now. I can remember watching a couple of cartoons that came on Sunday mornings too. WCYB from Bristol, Va would air The Jetsons and Underdog at about 8 am on Sundays. That was an extra bonus. I can remember my third grade teacher saying she wished the TV stations would show old movies on Saturday mornings instead of all these cartoons. I was appalled at that idea. If she were alive today she would be quite happy.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    For a trip down memory lane..

http://www.tvparty.com/sat.html
    That's a great website! Thanks for posting. Really brings back the memories.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Anyone else a fan of the Ant and Aardvaark cartoon? Best part of the Pink Panther show. I was disappointed to find out that wasn't really Jackie Mason as the Aardvark and Dean Martin as the Ant (John Byner did both voices).

"I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Anyone else a fan of the Ant and Aardvaark cartoon? Best part of the Pink Panther show. I was disappointed to find out that wasn't really Jackie Mason as the Aardvark and Dean Martin as the Ant (John Byner did both voices).

I totally forgot about that part of the show.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Some of the garbage on that list is the reason why networks have gone away from Saturday Morning Cartoons. Everything was either a lame celebrity vehicle or a poorly done infomercial for a toy. Most original stuff moved to Nick and Cartoon Network. The fact that ther is no Bullwinkle tells me all I need to know about the listmakers.
    The Rocky & Bullwinkle Show was fantastic. I own the DVDs, and I still find it funny even after seeing each episode probably close to a dozen times.

Really, you can pin the "death" of Saturday Morning Cartoons on cable. Before everyone and their brother had cable or directv, you would only have certain times where cartoons would be on (right after school on the UHF stations, and Saturday morning). Now, I think there are at least three stations on my directv that show nothing but cartoons, and three or four more channels that show nothing but kid / pre-teen programming.

The allure of getting up to watch cartoons on Saturday morning was killed by the fact that you could find them any day of the week at any time.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

Turn Off Ads?