Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul Keels

Paul Keels

Interesting titbit. Paul did the Seattle series on TV, Phillies series on TV and the Cardinals series on TV. Maybe it is time he quits doing games on TV.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellowjackets"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Paul Keels

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Interesting titbit. Paul did the Seattle series on TV, Phillies series on TV and the Cardinals series on TV. Maybe it is time he quits doing games on TV.
    I would agree with this even if the Reds went unbeaten in all of those series.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I would agree with this even if the Reds went unbeaten in all of those series.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Paul's a great announcer as is Jim Kelch. But it just ain't the same when Thom, Marty, or the Cowboy are missing. For what it's worth, Chris Welsh is quickly becoming my favorite member of the Reds broadcasters. I think he does a fantastic job. He and Thom are great together.
    As God as my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.

Keels is getting better, IMO. I think he's got a better rapport with Welsh than Brennaman does. Welsh is by far the most knowledgeable guy they've got.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I just got the Extra Innings half season package and this was first I heard Keels to any great extent. He is very bland to say the least. I guess mechanically he is a solid announcer but he just does not add much to the broadcast. Thom at least brings up some interesting points and things to look for. Keels does none of this except describe what we can already see for ourselves.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I just got the Extra Innings half season package and this was first I heard Keels to any great extent. He is very bland to say the least. I guess mechanically he is a solid announcer but he just does not add much to the broadcast. Thom at least brings up some interesting points and things to look for. Keels does none of this except describe what we can already see for ourselves.
    Keels is probably my favorite announcer in sports. He does Ohio State broadcasts and I enjoy listening to him.

He does the play by play without showing much of a bias or trying to one up the color man. He allows the guys who have played the game to give the color and more opinionated comments. I have always thought that he is one of the only guys who is good at calling basketball on the radio. That is a very difficult job to do with the up and down nature of the sport.

He allows the guys who have played the game to give the color and more opinionated comments.
    Yes. And that's where Thommy falls short -- he's got to be the star, the expert and, when things turn out poorly, the victimized.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Keels seems like a good guy, but he's the worst announcer the Reds have had in 20 years.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Keels seems like a good guy, but he's the worst announcer the Reds have had in 20 years.
    He's getting better the more he does. He's got some solid Reds knowledge/history -- I appreciated his mention the other day of Fredie Norman and Clay Kirby in the context of the Edmonds acquisition.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Jeff Brantley makes Keels sound like Jack Buck

Thom Brennamen makes Keels sound like Bill King.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's getting better the more he does. He's got some solid Reds knowledge/history -- I appreciated his mention the other day of Fredie Norman and Clay Kirby in the context of the Edmonds acquisition.
    I agree. Early on he made a lot of mistakes, and honestly I think they got into his head. Don't kid yourself. Being on the air requires confidence to perform just like playing the game.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Thom Brennamen makes Keels sound like Bill King.
    Pretty funny, now that I've just learned a little about Bill King. Seems he is the only basketball announcer ever to be assessed a technical foul (his in-game comments drew a T against the home team, the old SF Warriors).

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

I like him. I don't think you have to be flashy to be a solid announcer. Does he make mistakes? sure, but everyone does.
    Witty signature.

I was wondering how long this thread would take to turn into a Thom, Brantley, or Marty bashing session.

Can't we just sticky a thread so people can beat that same damn horse?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Turn Off Ads?