Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you trade Francisco Cordero for Carlos Beltran?

takealeake

Would you trade Francisco Cordero for Carlos Beltran?

If the salaries evened up? I would do it in a heartbeat. I saw this on MLB Trade Rumors:

From 2001-2008, Carlos Beltran was at least a five-win player every year except for '05. Even last year, despite missing July and August with a bone bruise behind his knee, Beltran provided value. However, the Mets and Beltran battled about his decision to have January knee surgery, a procedure that delayed his 2010 debut until July 15th. Beltran's first 90 plate appearances and 180 innings in center field have gone so poorly that David Waldstein of the New York Times says the Mets would let him go for nothing if a team claims him off waivers this month.

Waldstein finds a waiver claim "extremely unlikely," as Beltran is owed over $5.5MM this year and $18.5MM in 2011 before his contract is up. He has a full no-trade clause. Waldstein expects the Mets to be open to trading Beltran this winter but believes the outfielder's salary will be an impediment. He suggests the Mets would be reluctant to assume much of Beltran's contract in a trade.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Cordero gets paid $12 mil next year, so the Mets would have to even up the salaries a bit more in some way. Would definitely do this deal if they're down with it.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would you trade Francisco Cordero for Carlos Beltran?

I would trade Francisco Cordero for Mario Mendoza.

Nevermind Carlos Beltran; I would trade him for Carlos Santana. At least we would have good music during the 7th inning stretch.
    ----------
    "If God had intended us to drink beer, he would have given us stomachs." - David Daye

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

No. Money won't work out and the Mets don't really need him. Furthermore, it appears to me that Beltran is done. Why take on all that salary or, basically swap the salary responsibilites for two overpaid players when we'd be the ones getting back the player of lesser value? FC is definitely a heart attack waiting to happen, but he's still a leverage arm and he's saved a lot of games. These days, Beltran has done little else but occupy a DL slot and collect phat bank.

I'd be all for moving Cordero in the right deal, but this isn't it.
    Last edited by TheBigLebowski; 08-10-2010 at 03:04 PM.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

In a second...and I would even throw a prospects in there for good measure.

takealeake

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    No. Money won't work out and the Mets don't really need him. Furthermore, it appears to me that Beltran is done. Why take on all that salary or, basically swap the salary responsibilites for two overpaid players when we'd be the ones getting back the player of lesser value? FC is definitely a heart attack waiting to happen, but he's still a leverage arm and he's saved a lot of games. These days, Beltran has done little else but occupy a DL slot and collect phat bank.

I'd be all for moving Cordero in the right deal, but this isn't it.
    No way Cordero is more value than Beltran. Last year Beltran hit .325/.415/.500 and was an All Star. He's been to the All Star game 4 of the past 5 years, gold glove 3 of those years, and is just coming off injury this year, and is still only 33 years old. I would definitely take that over a guy who is one of the worst closers in the game. If the Mets want to unload him that bad, I would definitely give them Cordero for them, even if we took on an extra $3 mil or so. He would be a great LF'er for us next season when he recovers.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If the Reds could get the Mets to throw in some money, such as about $5 to $7M, I would definitely think about it. The closer to a wash the $$$ is, makes me more willing to do it.

Swapping two struggling players isn't unheard of. They want him gone, and we want Cordero gone.

I'm not completely sold that Beltran is finished. He's only 33 years old and is just coming off injury recovery slowly. He's a $20M type player when he's healthy and hitting.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of deal done in the offseason if the Mets are willing to make some concessions.

I would rather trade Cordero for Hanley Ramirez
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

NO, nothing else needs to be said.

Johnny Cueto Fan

I'd trade him for more $1 stands at GABP

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    If the Reds could get the Mets to throw in some money, such as about $5 to $7M, I would definitely think about it. The closer to a wash the $$$ is, makes me more willing to do it.

Swapping two struggling players isn't unheard of. They want him gone, and we want Cordero gone.

I'm not completely sold that Beltran is finished. He's only 33 years old and is just coming off injury recovery slowly. He's a $20M type player when he's healthy and hitting.

It wouldn't surprise me to see some kind of deal done in the offseason if the Mets are willing to make some concessions.

I agree, plus i think a change of scenery might do both players some good.

I would trade him for one of the Bad News Bears. All sillyness aside I would do it in a Red Heartbeat. The Mets would have to kick in at least 3.5 to 4 mill. He's still young enough to be able to bounce back. He was a premier center fielder in the league for a while. Imagine the defense with him in there. I'm not talking about putting him in center. I would put him in left field.

Yeah I think we should trade an overpaid closer, that is struggling this year and will probably be worse in the next, for a guy that would be by far our best outfielder. YES nothing else needs to be said.

Interesting Trade~!

Absolutely

If Beltran is even half as good as he has been over the duration of his career he's as valuable as Cordero. Closers are far and away the most over valued commodity in baseball.

Turn Off Ads?