Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Cueto 7 game suspension

Re: Cueto 7 game suspension

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    His chirping occurred before Cueto's kick, just like Phillips and Molina. If he is a professional, like the Cardinals all profess to be. Be a professional and help get your teammates back to the dugout and do not engage the opposing team's manager.

The "brawl" was over and whatever the exchange between Dusty and Carpenter was sent the mass of players into the netting and triggered Cueto's kicking.

We'll agree to disagree, but the Cards got off easy and you can garbage a rose if you want to, but it still stinks.
    I think the Reds got off easy, Phillips should have been suspended too.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Illybey View Post
    I'm not disputing that if you would actually read my posts.

While they're at it they should have suspended Mr. PuHGH-jols for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mckbearcat48 View Post
    Heck, Reds fans should be happy that Cueto gets a rest before the end of the year. I am seeing it as one start, which isn't too bad. Only suspending one guy does look a little fishy, though.
    He doesn't even miss a start. Say he starts on Monday.
    Goes on suspension on Tuesday. He comes back and starts next Tuesday. If the Reds have a Thursday off he wouldn't have started until Sunday anyway. He gets pushed back two days. If they have a Thursday-Monday off somewhere along the line he gets pushed back one day.

Nerdvana Annihilation

I find it funny that "Molina" is a welfair insurance in Ohio.

Take that!!!!!!!!!!

The Buckeye Bomber

I think they got it right. Suspend both managers for an equal amount of time and suspend the one player who injured another player during the scrap. I think Cueto was just panicked and defending himself, but he did pop a guy in the face with his cleat. That's a no-no.

Suspending Carpenter for two or three games wouldn't do anything major. Furthermore, if you suspend Carpenter for going after Dusty... you have to suspend Rolen for going after Carpenter.

And if you suspend Molina for getting in Phillips face, you have to suspend Phillips for getting back into Molina's face instead of shrugging it off.

I'll take it.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

You would because your a Cardinals fan.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    He doesn't even miss a start. Say he starts on Monday.
    Goes on suspension on Tuesday. He comes back and starts next Tuesday. If the Reds have a Thursday off he wouldn't have started until Sunday anyway. He gets pushed back two days. If they have a Thursday-Monday off somewhere along the line he gets pushed back one day.
    7 games not 7 days, oh you are saying change him in the rotation? erm that could make a lot of issues down the road.

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by markymark69 View Post
    Amazing how he didn't get tossed from the game, but yet he gets a seven-game suspension. One player, out of 40, who was for the most part defending himself, is the only one who gets suspended? That's amazing to me. Yet players who mouthed off (and I'm including Phillips in that) and instigated the brawl and then re-ignited it once again after it had appeared to have calmed down get a slap on the wrist.

But again, we are talking about Major League Baseball officials.
    He didn't get tossed from the game because his kicks were only visible via a replay of the fight. The umpires were behind the mass of humanity. Are they supposed to call a fight review delay for 15 minutes to decide who should be ejected?

There's nothing amazing about the way this went down. The umpires on the field handled it correctly by simply ejecting the managers and the MLB officials handled it correctly by suspending the most violent player of the entire scrum and the two managers that failed to control/diffuse the tensions between the Reds and Cardinals going into the game.

If you suspend Carpenter and Molina two or three games each for their involvement, you have to suspend Rolen and Phillips the same amount of games for their involvement. That exchange would hurt the Reds far more than the Redbirds.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

7 games not 7 days, oh you are saying change him in the rotation? erm that could make a lot of issues down the road.
    My bad. I read it as 7 days. You are absolutely right.

I thought it was go down like this

Cueto 6 games
    Phillips 1
    Molina 1

Carpenter started the whole fight back up because he went out of his way. If he was a position player he would have gotten a game or 2 also, but since hes not his fine probably was just huge.

I'm really really surprised to see that Molina and Phillips didnt get at least 1 game each.

It would have ended there if Phillips had not tapped Molina a second time.
    And he had walked away and was taking a few swings vbefore gettging in the box-he was prepared to play, Molina chose to get up and wait for him in the box-thats the batters space he was in. I am not defending Brandons actions the night before, but more saying to cards fans here to stop acting like none of your guys are accountable either, your not a victim here.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I thought it was go down like this

Cueto 6 games
    Phillips 1
    Molina 1

Carpenter started the whole fight back up because he went out of his way. If he was a position player he would have gotten a game or 2 also, but since hes not his fine probably was just huge.

I'm really really surprised to see that Molina and Phillips didnt get at least 1 game each.
    Guys I'm telling you, no one outside of Reds fans think Molina or Carp did anything wrong. Did you guys hear Mike and Mike after it happened?

I understand that carp is our best pitcher and you guys would like to see him miss a start but "jawing" someone is just not that kind of offense. now if he had brought a bat out and tapped Dusty on the leg 2 times...

The Buckeye Bomber

Also, and this has already been touched on at least a few times:

Phillips actually instigated the brawl. He walks up to Molina and taps him on the shin - this is a player that he has (basically) called a ***** 24 hours prior. Molina ignores him. Instead of accepting that the Cardinals are not going to be pleasant with him, Phillips taps Molina again, demanding a greeting.

Molina proceeds to tell Phillips off. Things escalate. Brawl ensues.

What is Molina supposed to do? I like Brandon's fire and I'm glad we fought - even with the subsequent sweep - but Molina felt the need to stand up for his ballclub, just as Brandon felt the need to step up for his ballclub.

I like that passion from both parties.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

The Buckeye Bomber

Guys I'm telling you, no one outside of Reds fans think Molina or Carp did anything wrong. Did you guys hear Mike and Mike after it happened?

I understand that carp is our best pitcher and you guys would like to see him miss a start but "jawing" someone is just not that kind of offense. now if he had brought a bat out and tapped Dusty on the leg 2 times...
    Carpenter was out of line. He wasn't even in the game - he pushes into the middle of the fray in a warmup jacket and starts hurling insults at Dusty Baker. When your ex-teammate Scott Rolen is furious enough to get physical with you in that situation, you have obviously crossed a line.

I don't care if the talking heads at ESPN agree or disagree with that sentiment. Carpenter was out of line and I don't need a reporter to echo that to know that it is true.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Turn Off Ads?