Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Familiarity Breeds Contempt?

Familiarity Breeds Contempt?

Putting aside the fact that our teams are rivals, I think part of the reason things are heated is b/c St. Louis and Cincy are very similar in many ways. Mid-market teams, passionate fan bases, and a history of success spanning several decades. Flame me as a Cards fan if you desire, but I see two similar organizations going at it to the end.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Familiarity Breeds Contempt?

Quote Originally Posted by mckbearcat48 View Post
    Putting aside the fact that our teams are rivals, I think part of the reason things are heated is b/c St. Louis and Cincy are very similar in many ways. Mid-market teams, passionate fan bases, and a history of success spanning several decades. Flame me as a Cards fan if you desire, but I see two similar organizations going at it to the end.
    That's what my thread titled "What separates the Cardinals and Reds?" is all about. Multiple players have played for both teams.

Right now, the only difference (and it's been beaten to death) is top of rotation v. top of rotation. As a Cardinal fan, the one Red pitcher I really like to watch is Arroyo. I'd love to have him in the 3/4 spot b/c the man competes every time out.

The Cubs are our historic rivals.

I personally don't consider the Reds our rivals. They may prove to be a "generational" rival, much like the Astros were in the late 90's into much of this past decade. But Cinci is going to need to win and compete with us for a few more years to be a true rival.

Bob...yes....but it's good to have more rivals...more fun series.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Good to see a Reds Message Board thread started by a Cardinals fan, and responded to by only Cardinals fans.

We're thinking about changing the name of the site to www.CardinalsZone.com. What do you guys think?

...and the thread concerns the Cards/Reds rivalry. I think the Reds are involved there.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I was just taking notice that this site has suddenly become void of Reds fans and a place for Cardinals fans to hang out.

Not only did they sweep us in this past series, but their fans have swept us on the Sun Deck too.

Vottomatic...priceless reply there.

If you're saying that these teams could be the top two teams in the division for a while then I agree with you. I don't see the Cards having a significant drop off until Pujols retires. The Reds also look like they're built to contend for a while now too.

Looks like a pretty solid start to things this year.

Looks like a few Cards fans have gone trolling...

Has there ever been a brawl of sorts between the Cubs and Cards? I really only pay close attention to the Reds so I don't know how bad those two teams hate eachother.

Cubs and Cards really haven't had any major brawls in my time watching. Mostly it's the fans making noise. Cubs have been so good over the past century that no one is allowed to talk to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    Has there ever been a brawl of sorts between the Cubs and Cards? I really only pay close attention to the Reds so I don't know how bad those two teams hate eachother.
    It got pretty heated back in 2003/2004 with Matt Morris, Steve Kline, and Mark Prior having some exchanges and of course the Zambrano/Edmonds incident where Edmonds was beaned twice and in between them homered, but for the most part the two teams haven't been very good at the same time, or at least close in a pennant race late in the season like the Reds/Cards are now.

Quote Originally Posted by Razzle View Post
    It got pretty heated back in 2003/2004 with Matt Morris, Steve Kline, and Mark Prior having some exchanges and of course the Zambrano/Edmonds incident where Edmonds was beaned twice and in between them homered, but for the most part the two teams haven't been very good at the same time, or at least close in a pennant race late in the season like the Reds/Cards are now.
    Zambrano was about the closest with his finger-wagging after a couple key strikeouts. Edmonds hit a ball that hasn't landed yet and watched it for quite a while. Mark Prior stated his disgust for St. Louis like Phillips (minus profanity). Cubs are still upset about Broglio for Brock...

Turn Off Ads?