Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto Appeal

Cueto Appeal

I hear Cueto has appealed his suspension. I think many figured he would. I see two scenarios that are good or bad. His suspension is upheld the day before he is scheduled to start he misses 7 games encompassing 2 potential starts. Or he starts one day and his suspension begins the next, effectively only missing one start. Depending on the timing, it's good for the Reds or bad. He won't get the suspension removed, maybe reduced, but maybe remains the same. The longer this drags out I believe the worse it affects the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    '19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Re: Cueto Appeal

First I've heard of him appealing it... usually, if I remember correctly, he'll go on an off day and talk to the commish about it...

If they talk to all the participants before making the initial ruling, I wonder what else Cueto could add in his appeal? I am just assuming they talk to everyone first, maybe they don't.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Do they take away pay for the 7 games? If so, I could see him doing this so it gets reduced to 5. It wouldn't change the fact he missed a start, but it would save him 2 games worth of pay -- if they deduct it. Or maybe they just want him for this weekend and will deal with the suspension later..

Just guesses, I know very little about suspensions.

I don't know if they talk to anyone unless they are appealing as well. I'm not sure what Cueto can say to make his case any better. Reagrdless of whose "fault" it may be touted, he is the only one who used an excessively violent means in the incident. I know athletes do not tend to apologize for their actions, but I think it would be appropriate for him to say something like: In the heat of the mob scene I lost my cool, i shouldn't have kicked out which resulted in unintentional injuries. That may help to either reduce the suspension or maybe cool the tension.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Where did you see/hear that he was going to appeal gmt?

Hey Reds, I thought I saw it on the internet, but now I can't find it. I'll keep looking. Other than money reasons, it's probably best if he just serves the time out. IMO, at best he would only get a reduction in suspension.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

I can't find it either gmt, do you have inside information you're withholding?

Hey I wish I had insider info. With all the stuff that's written on forums, blogs, message boards, etc, it's hard to separate the real from the fantasy!

He could also make his next start and then drop the appeal and start serving the suspension the next day. That would potentially allow him to not really "miss" a start, just push it back a couple of days.
    Sto Pro Veritate

I don't think he can start again unless he appeals. That would be too easy and obvious to everyone he is trying to get around the system if he appeals and the drops it after his next start.

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

Homer Bailey says he is starting Sunday. That means Johnny Cueto is not appealing. -jfay
    So this is really a dead issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds View Post
    So this is really a dead issue.
    Until the Cardinal fans come back on here and complain about Cueto appealing his suspension.

So by Monday, half of the suspension could be served. For his team's own good, Cueto should just serve out the suspension. Best to play ball and just leave it in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by gmt View Post
    So by Monday, half of the suspension could be served. For his team's own good, Cueto should just serve out the suspension. Best to play ball and just leave it in the past.
    Maybe they are waiting for Wood or Harang to be back. If it gets pushed back to September then the roster will expand. Just a guess.

Turn Off Ads?