Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds have the advantage

Reds have the advantage

The Reds depth of pitching gives them the advantage the rest of the way.

1. Bailey is well rested and healed up. Remember what he did last August and September? I won't be surprised if he dominates again
    2. Volquez is starting to get his control back. He's got a fresh arm with no risk of getting tired since he didn't start pitching until July. He's going to be the Ace of the staff the rest of the way.
    3. Arroyo never seems to wear out
    4. Cueto will be helped by getting a week of rest
    5. Wood looks like Cliff Lee every time he starts. I don't see him slowing down.
    6. If anyone faulters or if Wood needs to be skipped to keep his innings down for the playoffs, they still have the potential of Harang coming back in September with a fresh arm. Or giving Leake or Maloney a start in September

Compare that to the Cardinals? None of their arms are fresh unlike Bailey and Volquez. They are running out of innings for Garcia. They are giving him a couple extra days now and have to use Kyle Lohse instead who just had surgery in May. Lohse has had only one decent outing in AAA rehab where he gave up a run in 7 innings. That would be like us depending on Harang as our #4 starter.

Now let's look at the bullpen. There are no apparent holes in the pen with the exception of Cordero. But he hasn't pitched now in what 6 days? That may help him. Everyone is waiting with baited breath to see when Chapman is added and where he fits. Other potential help in September of needed may include Burton, Springer, Izzy, or even Harang or Bailey (depending on which one forces their way into the starting rotation).

For a 5 game series I'd take the Cardinals staff because of their big 3. But for the last 6 week push when guys wear out, I'd take the Reds because of all this depth. Advantage: Reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have the advantage

[QUOTE]For a 5 game series I'd take the Cardinals staff because of their big 3.[QUOTE]

IS it really a big 3 for the playoffs? Will Garcia be shut down by then or will they let him keep pitching?

While it seems Leake has hit a wall, I also think part of his recent problems is the lack of consistency of work. He's not getting the ball every fifth day. So I'm guessing that my be the same thing for Garcia.

The Cardinals have maybe the best 1-2 pitchers (maybe Halladay and Oswalt) for a series. And to be honest you can get by with 2 great pitchers, but to me the third is in doubt.

You guys have a very, very difficult west coast swing coming up. How well you play there will dictate how the rest of this race will go.

I Love Birds

One thing I've learned over the years watching this game is that it is rediculous to try and predict the outcome of a baseball game, let alone the entire season.

Anything can, and usually does, happen in this game.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

I Love Birds

[QUOTE=JKam;2207547][QUOTE]For a 5 game series I'd take the Cardinals staff because of their big 3.

IS it really a big 3 for the playoffs? Will Garcia be shut down by then or will they let him keep pitching?

While it seems Leake has hit a wall, I also think part of his recent problems is the lack of consistency of work. He's not getting the ball every fifth day. So I'm guessing that my be the same thing for Garcia.

The Cardinals have maybe the best 1-2 pitchers (maybe Halladay and Oswalt) for a series. And to be honest you can get by with 2 great pitchers, but to me the third is in doubt.
    Garcia has struggled as of late, no doubt. I'd put Westbrook ahead of him in the rotation right now. Garcia is a rookie and he's not afraid of anything or anyone, but he still has trouble with comand at time. He'll learn and get better. Westbrook has given up 2 runs in 2 of his starts and 3 in one of them. He seems to be a spark plug too. He's loving the chance he has been given to pitch for a winner and he's making the most of it. I like what I've seen so far. I think he's going to be a bigger factor for the Cardinals than Garcia down the stretch.
    (Watching a couple kissing at Busch Stadium) “Well, he’s kissing her on the strikes and she’s kissing him on the balls.”---a classic "Shannonism" from Cardinals broadcaster Mike Shannon

The Buckeye Bomber

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    You guys have a very, very difficult west coast swing coming up. How well you play there will dictate how the rest of this race will go.
    I agree. If we come out of that swing in the same position we're going into it, we will win this division. (Not 2nd in the division - 2nd and one game back, or better). The end of our season is very easy. If we can get into September in very close proximity to STL either way, I think it is our division to lose.
    I hate the Cardinals. I hate the Cubs.
    Let's. Go. Reds.
    "Per Aspera Ad Astra"

Turn Off Ads?