Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Please help me understand...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    148

    Please help me understand...

    Something I have never been able to understand is when people enjoy "calling" bad things on the horizon.

    For example, Coco comes into a game and someone promptly says "We're gonna lose! I know it!" Why do people find an inherent need to tell everyone that they think the game is going down the tubes?

    I get frustrated with Cordero as much as anyone, but am I the odd man out who actually hopes he does well?

    I'm confused, maybe someone who seems to prey on disaster can help me out with this one?

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    242

    Re: Please help me understand...

    We know he sucks, and we're commenting on it. I think it's a relevant issue to our team right now that we have a closer who can't get guys out, and we're trying to make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, but that's just me.

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    1,735

    Re: Please help me understand...

    I'm not going to get on here and predict doom every time Cordero starts warming up, but he makes me nervous as hell. He's just not the closer he used to be, and I can't blame any fellow Reds fans for expecting the worst when he enters a game. He's been far from lights out the entire season, and tonight was more of the same. I continue to be surprised Dusty doesn't try someone else in the closer role.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    585

    Re: Please help me understand...

    I don't want to call you out on the basis of semantics, but I don't think anyone enjoys calling or predicting bad things. Although, come to think of it, there's 1 or 2 who seem to thrive on it. But overall, that isn't the case.

    Everyone wants Cordero to do well, as for better or worse he's still the closer. The problem is right now it's for worse.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    860

    Re: Please help me understand...

    I'm a pessimist so it's hard for me too expect Cordero to get the job done. I don't post it on here, but in my head I'm constantly cussing Cordero and the management out whenever he steps on the mound. I still hope he does well though because I want the Reds to win.

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Terre Haute, IN
    Posts
    826

    Re: Please help me understand...

    I think for me I'm not thinking the Reds are going to lose but I will admit the 9th inning of a game 3 runs up or less have not been enjoyable to watch this year. The most frustrating thing, for me, is the fact that he has trouble throwing strikes. I could live with a game or two where the other teams players get quality hits but to walk two or three guys consistently wears on you as a fan and can't even fathom what it does to Dusty.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    148

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm not going to get on here and predict doom every time Cordero starts warming up, but he makes me nervous as hell. He's just not the closer he used to be, and I can't blame any fellow Reds fans for expecting the worst when he enters a game. He's been far from lights out the entire season, and tonight was more of the same. I continue to be surprised Dusty doesn't try someone else in the closer role.
    I'm in the same boat my friend.

    I just don't see why it's necessary to post about this impending disaster (That is indeed a rare occurrence given the team's record). Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist and I will never be able to relate

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,475

    Re: Please help me understand...

    There's about 80 Relief Pitchers.....in the National League....that are better than he is.

  10. #9
    ZCTRMTP!!!!!
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    10,795

    Re: Please help me understand...

    He is one scary closer.

  11. #10
    Dyslexic Taquitos Quatitos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    322

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    I think for me I'm not thinking the Reds are going to lose but I will admit the 9th inning of a game 3 runs up or less have not been enjoyable to watch this year. The most frustrating thing, for me, is the fact that he has trouble throwing strikes. I could live with a game or two where the other teams players get quality hits but to walk two or three guys consistently wears on you as a fan and can't even fathom what it does to Dusty.
    I personally do not get worried until CoCo gives up his first walk, because that is when it really seems to get away from him, especially with none out.

    Yes, the walk rate is very troubling. I forget if it was in an article or if they said it during a game, but supposedly CoCo and Price were able to find a flaw in his mechanics that was supposedly causing the lack of control. Hopefully this doesn't take too long to iron out and CoCo can get closer to his previous form we should be good. If he can't step the game up it is nice to see that Masset is getting back to how he was pitching last season so he can't take the mantle up if the need arises.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    148

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Once again I agree 100 percent with everyone that Cordero is a HUGE issue for the Reds going forward, maybe my initial question was interpreted incorrectly due to the example I used.

    Another example is whenever any of our outfielders come to the plate, someone always has to chirp in on how they will K. Why is that? I know that they have struggled as of late, but why comment on the K if it has yet to happen?

    Why assume the worst of a first place team in the middle of August?
    Last edited by knoonan991; 08-15-2010 at 12:12 AM.

  13. #12
    The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    416

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Yeah Cordero always keeps us on our seat.But It does get old reading ''it's over now,we just lost''comments.

    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    242

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Once again I agree 100 percent with everyone that Cordero is a HUGE issue for the Reds going forward, maybe my initial question was interpreted incorrectly due to the example I used.

    Another example is whenever any of our outfielders come to the plate, someone always has to chirp in on how they will K. Why is that? I know that they have struggled as of late, but why comment on the K if it has yet to happen?

    Why assume the worst of a first place team in the middle of August?
    I don't assume the worst of the Reds, but it's safe to assume everytime Cordero is in that it's going to be an adventure. He's literally had like two 1-2-3 innings all year, and is like the worst current closer in the league in WHIP. You can set your watch to how incompetent he is.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    913

    Re: Please help me understand...

    Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Something I have never been able to understand is when people enjoy "calling" bad things on the horizon.

    For example, Coco comes into a game and someone promptly says "We're gonna lose! I know it!" Why do people find an inherent need to tell everyone that they think the game is going down the tubes?

    I get frustrated with Cordero as much as anyone, but am I the odd man out who actually hopes he does well?

    I'm confused, maybe someone who seems to prey on disaster can help me out with this one?
    The vast majority hope he does well, yet there are a lot who do not think he will do well (with good cause). There is a big difference.

    Trust me, I don't like it when Cordero gets into close games, and I am not a fan. Yet I hope he gets the save.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25