Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Please help me understand...

Please help me understand...

Something I have never been able to understand is when people enjoy "calling" bad things on the horizon.

For example, Coco comes into a game and someone promptly says "We're gonna lose! I know it!" Why do people find an inherent need to tell everyone that they think the game is going down the tubes?

I get frustrated with Cordero as much as anyone, but am I the odd man out who actually hopes he does well?

I'm confused, maybe someone who seems to prey on disaster can help me out with this one?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    takealeake

Re: Please help me understand...

We know he sucks, and we're commenting on it. I think it's a relevant issue to our team right now that we have a closer who can't get guys out, and we're trying to make the playoffs for the first time in 15 years, but that's just me.

I'm not going to get on here and predict doom every time Cordero starts warming up, but he makes me nervous as hell. He's just not the closer he used to be, and I can't blame any fellow Reds fans for expecting the worst when he enters a game. He's been far from lights out the entire season, and tonight was more of the same. I continue to be surprised Dusty doesn't try someone else in the closer role.

I don't want to call you out on the basis of semantics, but I don't think anyone enjoys calling or predicting bad things. Although, come to think of it, there's 1 or 2 who seem to thrive on it. But overall, that isn't the case.

Everyone wants Cordero to do well, as for better or worse he's still the closer. The problem is right now it's for worse.

I'm a pessimist so it's hard for me too expect Cordero to get the job done. I don't post it on here, but in my head I'm constantly cussing Cordero and the management out whenever he steps on the mound. I still hope he does well though because I want the Reds to win.

I think for me I'm not thinking the Reds are going to lose but I will admit the 9th inning of a game 3 runs up or less have not been enjoyable to watch this year. The most frustrating thing, for me, is the fact that he has trouble throwing strikes. I could live with a game or two where the other teams players get quality hits but to walk two or three guys consistently wears on you as a fan and can't even fathom what it does to Dusty.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    I'm not going to get on here and predict doom every time Cordero starts warming up, but he makes me nervous as hell. He's just not the closer he used to be, and I can't blame any fellow Reds fans for expecting the worst when he enters a game. He's been far from lights out the entire season, and tonight was more of the same. I continue to be surprised Dusty doesn't try someone else in the closer role.
    I'm in the same boat my friend.

I just don't see why it's necessary to post about this impending disaster (That is indeed a rare occurrence given the team's record). Maybe I'm just the eternal optimist and I will never be able to relate

There's about 80 Relief Pitchers.....in the National League....that are better than he is.

He is one scary closer.

Quote Originally Posted by redlegs2370 View Post
    I think for me I'm not thinking the Reds are going to lose but I will admit the 9th inning of a game 3 runs up or less have not been enjoyable to watch this year. The most frustrating thing, for me, is the fact that he has trouble throwing strikes. I could live with a game or two where the other teams players get quality hits but to walk two or three guys consistently wears on you as a fan and can't even fathom what it does to Dusty.
    I personally do not get worried until CoCo gives up his first walk, because that is when it really seems to get away from him, especially with none out.

Yes, the walk rate is very troubling. I forget if it was in an article or if they said it during a game, but supposedly CoCo and Price were able to find a flaw in his mechanics that was supposedly causing the lack of control. Hopefully this doesn't take too long to iron out and CoCo can get closer to his previous form we should be good. If he can't step the game up it is nice to see that Masset is getting back to how he was pitching last season so he can't take the mantle up if the need arises.

Once again I agree 100 percent with everyone that Cordero is a HUGE issue for the Reds going forward, maybe my initial question was interpreted incorrectly due to the example I used.

Another example is whenever any of our outfielders come to the plate, someone always has to chirp in on how they will K. Why is that? I know that they have struggled as of late, but why comment on the K if it has yet to happen?

Why assume the worst of a first place team in the middle of August?
    Last edited by knoonan991; 08-15-2010 at 12:12 AM.

The Smiling Side AintlifeGrande's Avatar

Yeah Cordero always keeps us on our seat.But It does get old reading ''it's over now,we just lost''comments.

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

takealeake

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Once again I agree 100 percent with everyone that Cordero is a HUGE issue for the Reds going forward, maybe my initial question was interpreted incorrectly due to the example I used.

Another example is whenever any of our outfielders come to the plate, someone always has to chirp in on how they will K. Why is that? I know that they have struggled as of late, but why comment on the K if it has yet to happen?

Why assume the worst of a first place team in the middle of August?
    I don't assume the worst of the Reds, but it's safe to assume everytime Cordero is in that it's going to be an adventure. He's literally had like two 1-2-3 innings all year, and is like the worst current closer in the league in WHIP. You can set your watch to how incompetent he is.

Quote Originally Posted by knoonan991 View Post
    Something I have never been able to understand is when people enjoy "calling" bad things on the horizon.

For example, Coco comes into a game and someone promptly says "We're gonna lose! I know it!" Why do people find an inherent need to tell everyone that they think the game is going down the tubes?

I get frustrated with Cordero as much as anyone, but am I the odd man out who actually hopes he does well?

I'm confused, maybe someone who seems to prey on disaster can help me out with this one?
    The vast majority hope he does well, yet there are a lot who do not think he will do well (with good cause). There is a big difference.

Trust me, I don't like it when Cordero gets into close games, and I am not a fan. Yet I hope he gets the save.

Turn Off Ads?