Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: True Grit remake

Re: True Grit remake

Is True Grit the same as True Grits? Because according to the marquee at the theater I went to, I saw True Grits. I really liked it, I wonder if True Grit is also good.

2. Turn Off Ads?

John Wayne was a cultural icon, but his 'acting,' again, while definitely iconic, is pretty mediocre in his films that I have seen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"

Not a big movie guy. Far from it, in fact. An opportunity presented itself for Mrs fan & me to get out to an afternoon movie yesterday. Saw True Grit. Liked it.

Then today, I took our 7 year-old to see Yogi Bear. In 3D!

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Not a big movie guy. Far from it, in fact. An opportunity presented itself for Mrs fan & me to get out to an afternoon movie yesterday. Saw True Grit. Liked it.

Then today, I took our 7 year-old to see Yogi Bear. In 3D!
    We're going to go out sometime this week and see True Grit. My daughter, who is in college, wants to see it too. The two boys, ages 22 and 15, want to see Yogi Bear in 3D.

There just isn't something right with this picture.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We're going to go out sometime this week and see True Grit. My daughter, who is in college, wants to see it too. The two boys, ages 22 and 15, want to see Yogi Bear in 3D.

There just isn't something right with this picture.
    Your 22 & 15 year olds would have more fun rolling around naked in a pool of glass shards than they would at Yogi Bear.

Posted this over on the movie thread, when I should have posted it here....

Just got back from seeing True Grit. Good movie, highly recommend it; but I have to admit I came away somewhat disappointed to some degree. I've never read the novel so I don't know how close the movie is to it for comparison. But I do know the original, and have watched it countless times over the years. I know it like the back of my hand, and with few storyline variances the newer version was like watching the original with just different actors. Even a lot of the dialogue was copied from the original. It just seems they were trying to make it as close as they could to the original, and didn't take as many liberties (other then the ending) that I was expecting to see.

And I'm sorry... one of the best scenes in a western, as well as one of the best all-time lines, where Rooster is in the open field stand off with Ned and the gang, still goes to JW. Bridges just didn't nail it as well as the Duke did IMO.

YouTube - "Fill your hands you sonofa*****!"

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    John Wayne was a cultural icon, but his 'acting,' again, while definitely iconic, is pretty mediocre in his films that I have seen.
    Have you seen The Searchers? One of his best.

I view Wayne a lot like I do Eastwood as far as their acting goes. They play iconic characters (roles), which is what made them. They weren't terrible actors; but obviously weren't anywhere near the level of some of the greats. But again, the characters they played didn't require it. I think a majority remember them more for some of the memorable (quotable) great lines in many of their movies.
    Last edited by GAC; 12-31-2010 at 06:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Have you seen The Searchers? One of his best.

I view Wayne a lot like I do Eastwood as far as their acting goes. They play iconic characters (roles), which is what made them. They weren't terrible actors; but obviously weren't anywhere near the level of some of the greats. But again, the characters they played didn't require it. I think a majority remember them more for some of the memorable (quotable) great lines in many of their movies.
    I agree: The Searchers was probably Wayne's best movie and "Ethan Edwards" was his best role. Wayne had a limited range as an actor but, within that range, he could act, and act effectively.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

I was surprised at his acting when I finally saw Red River. He infused his character with so much menace that by the climactic scene, you dreaded seeing him come back on screen.

Other than that, I don't mind an actor playing the same character over and over if that character brings something to the table, and I think Wayne did that.

Saw this today and I really liked it, I liked it much more than the original. I thought it was much more realistic and had a real feel about it.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    I was surprised at his acting when I finally saw Red River. He infused his character with so much menace that by the climactic scene, you dreaded seeing him come back on screen.
    That too is one of his best IMO. Montgomery Clift also did a great job. And of course there's always good ol' sidekick Walter Brennan. Howard Hawks and John Ford were two of the best western directors.

I watched the 1939 version of Stage Coach on Netflix last night.

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

Oscar nominations:

Jeff Bridges: True Grit- Actor in a Leading Role
    Hailee Steinfeld: True Grit- Actress in a Supporting Role (How that qualifies as a "supporting role", I don't understand.)
    True Grit: Jess Gonchor (Production Design), Nancy Haigh (Set Decoration)- Art Direction
    True Grit: Roger Deakins- Cinematography
    True Grit: Mary Zophres- Costume Design
    True Grit: Joel Cohen and Ethan Coen- Directing
    True Grit: Scott Rudin, Joel Coen, and Ethan Coen (Producers)- Best Picture
    True Grit: Skip Lievsay and Craig Berkey- Sound Editing
    True Grit: Skip Lievsay, Craig Berkey, Greg Orloff and Peter F. Kurland- Sound Mixing
    True Grit: Written for the screen by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen- Writing (Adapted Screenplay)

Last edited by Redsfan320; 01-25-2011 at 11:10 AM.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Jeff Bridges was excellent. It is sacrilegious to claim he was better than The Duke but he was pretty darn good.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

The girl stole the film

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The girl stole the film
    She was good.

The original Mattie irritated me to no end.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Turn Off Ads?