Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: West Coast Swing...........

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: West Coast Swing...........

If we play well on this trip, and maintain the lead in the NL Central; we're about to get hit with a flurry of praise from the national media and getting some serious respect and consideration.

And call me greedy but I want all 3 in Arizona.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'd love to see the Reds win two outta every three games the rest of the season.

The Reds are starting out with the weakest team, and it would be nice to see them get things going with a sweep. The kid pitching Tuesday does worry me a bit, though. I know nothing about him, but his numbers look good.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

I have a hunch the bats are going to break out big-time in the higher-altitude HR-friendly Chase Field, leading to a sweep of the D-Backs. That, combined with one 2-1 series and one 1-2 series (take your pick as to which will be which), and they'll get by at 6-3.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

ORG Infidel

2 of 3 in each city would be good, throw in a sweep and its a great trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Cincinnati has historically struggled against both Frisco and LA and both have solid teams, big parks, and very good pitching.

If they have a winning record, I'd think that's pretty successful. I'd probably take 4-5 cosidering past performances.
    You shouldn't consider past performance though. This Reds team is better than ones in the past, so the record should be better. I don't think .500 would be a success for a team trying to win the division. The Reds should be able to win at least 6-3.

Some of you need to look at road records across the league. The Reds are one of three teams with a winning road record in the NL. 6-3 would be awesome, but reality says 5-4 is great trip, 4-5 is probably what we should expect. Sure, you shoot for 9-0, but reality has to be looked at as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    Some of you need to look at road records across the league. The Reds are one of three teams with a winning road record in the NL. 6-3 would be awesome, but reality says 5-4 is great trip, 4-5 is probably what we should expect. Sure, you shoot for 9-0, but reality has to be looked at as well.
    reality is that a good team (especially a team that is good on the road) can win anywhere.

I think previous years records can be chucked for 2010. Look at what the Reds did in Oakland earlier this year. These Reds have got spunk and have played well on the road. Pitching and defense will keep you in any game.

Having said that, they ought to be OK in Arizona, but LA and SF always play tough at home. At least they don't have to play in Candlestick any more. That place was nasty.

Like many have said, I'll be happy with 5-4.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Haunted by walks

But this is the West Coast, where there be dragons. Even the Reds this year have been cursed. By the likes of Seattle, even.

Quote Originally Posted by MattyMo4Life View Post
    reality is that a good team (especially a team that is good on the road) can win anywhere.
    So there are only 3 "good" teams in the NL? Reds, Padres, and Giants? Like I said.......reality. Heck, the vaunted Cards are 25-31 on the road, and that's after taking the last 3 in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I will add as I just put in the standings thread...I believe we miss Lincecum.
    They way Lincecum has pitched lateyly it might not be so bad to face him.

5-4 trip would be outstanding considering how the Reds have played out there in recent years. If they do that they will be in fine shape for the stretch run.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

You shouldn't consider past performance though. This Reds team is better than ones in the past, so the record should be better. I don't think .500 would be a success for a team trying to win the division. The Reds should be able to win at least 6-3.
    There is a lot of nonsense in this thread, but I'll give the call-out quote to the Cards fan.

No team is baseball is winning at a .667 clip. No team in baseball is even close. Expecting a team to win at .667 on a west coast road trip is setting up an extraordinarily unrealistic standard.

Six wins may indeed be the goal. Six wins may be needed to make the playoffs. But three wins is well within the realm of reasonable possibility, four would be a solid trip and five would be above expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    The 2 game swing in standings couldn't have come at a better time....the Reds can weather a subpar trip, and can really make some hay with a prosperous one.
    Agreed. If the Cardinals go 7-2 over the next 9 and the Reds go 4-5, the Reds finish the dreaded west coast road trip only 2 games back. At that point the Cardinals play 24 games in 25 days(worse if they decide to play the Marlins on September 20, they will have had one day off for the final 6 weeks.)

So really any situation where the Reds come home better than 2 games back is a bonus.
    Any situation where they come back worse would be disappointing to say the least.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

So that makes the Cards not a good team with a losing road record? Or do they hang their hat on last week's sweep for the rest of the season as proof that they "can win anywhere?"
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?