Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bad Contract Trade Swap

Bad Contract Trade Swap

I was reading in the NY papers today that Luis Castillo wants to be traded from the Mets. His 25 million 4 year contract will end after the 2011 season. Would you trade Cordero for him if the Mets add 4-5 million in the deal? I'm not sure how much he has left in his career. He's only currently hitting about 240. A change of teams might give him an added spark. He could possibly come off the bench, lead off, and be a basestealing threat in certain situations. Any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bad Contract Trade Swap

As bad as Cordero is, this move doesn't seem to help the team in any way.

why would the mets do that?

Quote Originally Posted by davereds24 View Post
    why would the mets do that?
    Ya they already have a Coco.....K-Rod

Castillo would be of less than no use to the Reds...unless Phillips remembers his Montreal days and plays SS. Castillo is a severe downgrade from Phillips. Cordero is worth more to the Reds than Castillo could hope to be.

takealeake

Cordero is worth less because him in the position of closer is not a benefit but a negative to even BE on the team. We have several pitchers in the pen that can get through one inning a lot more effectively. Why can't people realize that?

If this were some Triple A call up with his kind of WHIP, we wouldn't be talking about him as closer, he possibly wouldn't even be on the team. Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction, so even finding a single player that is good enough to be on the 25 man roster, even as a reserve, in a salary swap would be an upgrade plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by takealeake View Post
    Cordero is worth less because him in the position of closer is not a benefit but a negative to even BE on the team. We have several pitchers in the pen that can get through one inning a lot more effectively. Why can't people realize that?

If this were some Triple A call up with his kind of WHIP, we wouldn't be talking about him as closer, he possibly wouldn't even be on the team. Getting rid of him is addition by subtraction, so even finding a single player that is good enough to be on the 25 man roster, even as a reserve, in a salary swap would be an upgrade plain and simple.
    I have never believed in addition by subtraction, but it may work here. Maybe a utility-type guy that can play 2b/ss/3b?

I thought I read that the Mets may want to get rid of K-Rod with his bad contract and lega trouble. K-Rod for Cordero? K-Rod makes 11.5 mil next year, so pretty much an even swap salawhen looking at salary.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mmt1552 View Post
    I thought I read that the Mets may want to get rid of K-Rod with his bad contract and lega trouble. K-Rod for Cordero? K-Rod makes 11.5 mil next year, so pretty much an even swap salawhen looking at salary.
    I'd do that deal in a heartbeat. Maybe half a heartbeat.

I would not deal Cordero. Clubhouse chemistry is at a premium at this point. And I think the team really likes and appreciates him. Hugs all around after he saves games.

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mckbearcat48 View Post
    I have never believed in addition by subtraction, but it may work here. Maybe a utility-type guy that can play 2b/ss/3b?
    I believe in addition by subraction. Case in point Tavares and Rosales for Aaron Miles. I still feel like we won that trade. I may be alone in the fact that I don't want to trade CoCo, or take him out of the closer role. He is scary, but still getting the job done most days.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

As much as I cringe when I see Cordero come into a game, I have a feeling he's going to bounce back next year and be a valuable player. Since the pen is so deep, I'd have no problem trading him for a guy that can fill a hole for the Reds, but I'm not sure I want to see him dumped just to get rid of him.
    Sto Pro Veritate

Turn Off Ads?